My quick trailer build.

• HTML tutorial

DungeonWorksGarage

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bartlett tn
Member #

Well I got back back home late last night from GA, went to the shop today. Got to play around with my Base Camp hot water system. Simple simple set up as lines are quick connections, and twist on propane. Turn it on and push the pump button and a few seconds the water turns hot. Was able to reach 120°ish with great pressure. So after the testing I fabed up a mount for Tadpole(son named trailer).0113170859.jpg

Attachments

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
That is a very nice build.... I too started out with a Carry-On trailer from tractor supply... I've two words of advice for you as I learned the hard way and hopefully can save you the agony of future breakdowns at the most in-opportune times.
The rear spring hangers/boxed tabs will fail. The very first trip to Moab, one of mine broke as we were climbing up out of Lathrop Canyon. My welder guy cut both those cheapo things off and welded on appropriate sized boxed steel, I believe it is 2" ID.
Our 1st and 2nd trip out west we spun out the wheel bearings and destroyed the spindle. When you see bearing shrapnel flying up in your rearview mirror it is a heart sinking feeling. We swapped out axles on I-70 west of Hayes Kansas one time, and another time on I-70 just east of Green River Ut.
After the secound failure we got it home and I swapped out the toothpick axle for a Dexter 3,500 lb ez-lube The trailer has traveled some 15,000 miles and we havent' had a single hub or spindle failure. I carry a mini grease gun, and give-em a few pumps every thousand miles or so. Once again, very nice build..

Reactions: DungeonWorksGarage

DungeonWorksGarage

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bartlett tn
Member #

That is a very nice build.... I too started out with a Carry-On trailer from tractor supply... I've two words of advice for you as I learned the hard way and hopefully can save you the agony of future breakdowns at the most in-opportune times.
The rear spring hangers/boxed tabs will fail. The very first trip to Moab, one of mine broke as we were climbing up out of Lathrop Canyon. My welder guy cut both those cheapo things off and welded on appropriate sized boxed steel, I believe it is 2" ID.
Our 1st and 2nd trip out west we spun out the wheel bearings and destroyed the spindle. When you see bearing shrapnel flying up in your rearview mirror it is a heart sinking feeling. We swapped out axles on I-70 west of Hayes Kansas one time, and another time on I-70 just east of Green River Ut.
After the secound failure we got it home and I swapped out the toothpick axle for a Dexter 3,500 lb ez-lube The trailer has traveled some 15,000 miles and we havent' had a single hub or spindle failure. I carry a mini grease gun, and give-em a few pumps every thousand miles or so. Once again, very nice build..

Yes thanks for the heads up. The plan isbto swap the springs out to Jeep leave springs. I figured this was cheap cheap built trailer, so plans are in the works to swap out key items. The only reason I even bought this is for title, it's really hard here now to tile "home built" trailers. I really want to built my own trailer and I will after this trip and just swap things over, but I'm on a very short time crunch. Thank you for your advice really appreciate it.

DungeonWorksGarage

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bartlett tn
Member #

I guess I should have stated in the opening that this is just a temporary build. I'm new to off road trailers and useing this as a learning tool. I'm going to use this to learn what is my true need and wants in a adventure trailer. All of the big items wheels tires rack system will be swapped to the next build, and this will just be my shop trailer. I love that Oldfooladventures Moak stepped in with advice from actual experience, not well my friends third cousin best friends brother type stuff. It gives me things to think about that I otherwise might not think about.

Last edited:
Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
NP friend.. and I'll agree with the home built trailer title hing. Here in Pa it cost over 200 to get one titled. I'm odd in that I have three trailers, one for hauling fire wood, gravel, dirt etc, one for hauling tools for my encore career side business, and of course our expo trailer...

Neight

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

El Cajon, CA
Member #

I gotta agree with redman333, so many kids these days would rather be playing video games. Oh and awesome work on the trailer.

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Would you guys all agree that it is better to go about modifying yourself over purchasing one of the trailers you always see advertised when it comes down to it?

DungeonWorksGarage

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bartlett tn
Member #

Would you guys all agree that it is better to go about modifying yourself over purchasing one of the trailers you always see advertised when it comes down to it?

Well to me yes. One being as I'm a fabricator I know the real cost in building these. And the price they charge is way way high. My trailer as it sits right now rtt and everything I have $2800 and 43 hours(couple hours a day, and few hours on the weekends) in it. Most sell just a box on wheels for $8k up. But if you can't fab or don't want to learn, or are in a hurry then it's the only choice. Not knocking a single trailer company/builder out there. And add the fact that if you want something special for your trailer then add more cost ontop of the $8k, then the cost of all your gear/kit and you're at $10k-$15k. If you build it yourself it will be excatly what you want for your needs. Again this is just my opinion and not knocking any trailer company.

Reactions: SeguineJ

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Well to me yes. One being as I'm a fabricator I know the real cost in building these. And the price they charge is way way high. My trailer as it sits right now rtt and everything I have $2800 and 43 hours(couple hours a day, and few hours on the weekends) in it. Most sell just a box on wheels for $8k up. But if you can't fab or don't want to learn, or are in a hurry then it's the only choice. Not knocking a single trailer company/builder out there. And add the fact that if you want something special for your trailer then add more cost ontop of the $8k, then the cost of all your gear/kit and you're at $10k-$15k. If you build it yourself it will be excatly what you want for your needs. Again this is just my opinion and not knocking any trailer company.
It's what I thought. The companies get money from those who don't want to do it or just have the money not to care. Looks like I got stuff to learn. How hard are these welds to do properly and create a trailer that isn't just gonna fall apart? Is this advanced or could you say welding the trailer together is a learnable event?

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

DungeonWorksGarage

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bartlett tn
Member #

It's what I thought. The companies get money from those who don't want to do it or just have the money not to care. Looks like I got stuff to learn. How hard are these welds to do properly and create a trailer that isn't just gonna fall apart? Is this advanced or could you say welding the trailer together is a learnable event?

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Oh it's not hard just takes a little time to get right, well worth learning to weld. Just try it out on scrap materials that you would be building with, that way you get the hang if it without wasting actual materials.

Reactions: SeguineJ