My own private overland recreation area build.

• HTML tutorial

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I'm not sure how far back you bought it but congrats. You may want to have it surveyed and put a few markers into the ground

kilby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rox Park Colorado
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Kilby
Member #

I'm not sure how far back you bought it but congrats. You may want to have it surveyed and put a few markers into the ground

I might put some stakes in. So far I've located all the corners and borders using the GIS maps... which is actually pretty precise using the sat view.

Reactions: Broke

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I might put some stakes in. So far I've located all the corners and borders using the GIS maps... which is actually pretty precise using the sat view.
That's good for a start, just to have an idea. If someone decides to squat or encroach, that wont be worth much in court. Or if the government decides they need to take something by eminent domain for a national park or pipeline.

Get all the deed info in order, find out if there are any easements. If you can spare a few bucks I would get the official survey. You will be in a much stronger position, whether you want to do nothing but camp, or build a homestead, or ward off squatters.

Not meaning to overstep. Just a caution from a guy who's seen an awful lot of weird go down.

Example. I saw a case where two houses side by side shared a driveway, where the property line was right down the middle. Deeds went back almost a hundred years, with a curb stone marker in place since the 1920's. Well, wouldnt you know a new guy moved in and built a fence right down the middle of the driveway! When some college kid accidentally knocked over part of the fence, he built a stone wall!

Even though the deeds to both properties said it was an easement to be used by both parties and nothing should obstruct it. What do you think the town and state government did? Nothing. They let it all play out in civil court.

If you can, survey it & mark it. My 2 cents and congratulations again.

kilby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rox Park Colorado
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Kilby
Member #

Just a caution from a guy who's seen an awful lot of weird go down.

Much appreciated. I like having documentation in order. I got it back in November, but I carry copies of the documents filed with the county and stuff in case anybody asks. Official paperwork has basically stood still in Covid. So far I've seen exactly 0 other people out there, and mine have been the only tire tracks in snow. So, I'll enjoy that as long as I can LOL!!

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Much appreciated. I like having documentation in order. I got it back in November, but I carry copies of the documents filed with the county and stuff in case anybody asks. Official paperwork has basically stood still in Covid. So far I've seen exactly 0 other people out there, and mine have been the only tire tracks in snow. So, I'll enjoy that as long as I can LOL!!
That could be true, but guess what, you found it, im sure others have too. But I agree with beagle. Get all your paperwork done so that you have some legal grounds for it all. I know how court happy the US is. You fart, and your neighbour sues you because they might have smelled it. :laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: Joey83 and kilby

kilby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rox Park Colorado
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Kilby
Member #

Nice day out at So'Wyo yesterday. I went out to get the trail cam, and if I can figure out the SD card adapter situation I'll post some rad clips from that. Anyways... The place is nice and peaceful, and I finally found the wild horses! :D