My Overlanding Gear List and Wish List (insight and advice appreciated)

• HTML tutorial

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

New to overlanding, not to jeeping. But we're getting geared up for our first trip to Overland East in November.

I'll post two lists. The first list will be things we've already bought. The second is things we're looking to buy.

I'd appreciate any insight on either list. Tips on best practices for the things we already have, and advice on what items to consider for the things we're looking to buy.

Things we already have:

1. Vehicle: Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - My build sheet can be found here:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/2014-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-rubicon-guardian-ob14045.18200/
2. Roof Top Tent: IKamper Sky Camp Rocky Black edition with vinyl canopy addition.
3. Roof Rack: Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform Model JA7697.
4. Fridge: ARB 50QT Fridge/Freezer with thermal cover.
5. Awning: Rhino-Rack Batwing Awning.
6. Stove: Genesis Base Camp 2 burner camping stove by JetBoil with 10" frying pan addition.
7. Safety: H3R Performance 1lb dry chemical extinguisher, Adventure Medical Kits First Aid Kit

Things we're looking to buy:

1. Cook set / dishes: We're thinking of MSR Flex 4 Cook Set. Thoughts?
2. Recovery Gear: We're thinking Max Trax but we've heard of others. Would love suggestions on this!
3. Toiletries: Wilderness wipes, bio degradable soap, foot powder. Any tips on brands to consider?
4. Tool Storage: We're looking to find a high quality set of roll up tool pouches. Any suggestions?
5. Camping Chairs: We're hoping to find small footprint, light weight, high quality, with back support.
6. Towels: Looking for quality camping towels rather than taking standard towels to conserve on space.
7. Fuel Storage: Thinking Rotopax? Are there others?
8. Water Storage: Also looking at Rotopax on these. Any others we should consider?
9. Organization: We don't have any build out in the back of the Jeep yet. Looking for options!
10. Power: Looking into the Genesis Dual Battery system. Would love to hear any thoughts on this.
11. Counter Space: Considering the Goose Gear tailgate fold down table.
12. GPS/Communication: We're looking for some sort of GPS/Communication device for emergencies.
13. Propane: We've seen others with a 5lb propane tank on the exterior. We're looking for ideas on this.
14. Water Filtration: We're thinking of the MSR Guardian (bacteria and viruses). Others to consider?
15. Toilet: We're considering the Separett Rescue Camping 25 unit.
16. Privacy: Looking for a quickly deployable and retractable privacy pop-up for toilet/showers. We're considering the Cleanwaste Go Anywhere Privacy Shelter.
17. Solar Power: We're looking to augment our battery with soft solar panels. Any suggestions?
18. Storage Solutions: We're looking for either hard or soft storage solutions. Cases, duffel bags etc.

I think that is it for now. We welcome any other suggestions too. That's what this forum is all about right?

So, help a brother out and chime in!

Eric AKA Jeepsies

Reactions: OverLandCruiser

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

I may not have a lot to contribute but I'm very interested in the responses.

Here is an affordable towel option you may want to try. I use this exact one at the gym (the smaller of the two that come in the package) and I'm really impressed with how much it can absorb. It is light weight, packs small, and drys quickly. We took the larger one that comes in the package to the beach during our recent cruise to Mexico and it performed very well. It didn't hold sand in the fibers even after laying on it on the beach.

Not sure why the Amazon link isn't showing up. Try searching this on Amazon.
Northbound Train Camping Towel Set with Quick Dry Technology. Pack Towel and Travel Towel. Large Microfiber Towel and Sport Towel included

ben

Reactions: Hourless Life

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I may not have a lot to contribute but I'm very interested in the responses.

Not sure why the Amazon link isn't showing up. Try searching this on Amazon.
Northbound Train Camping Towel Set with Quick Dry Technology. Pack Towel and Travel Towel. Large Microfiber Towel and Sport Towel included

Thanks Ben. We’ll take a look!

ben

cody_roberts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

New to overlanding, not to jeeping. But we're getting geared up for our first trip to Overland East in November.

I'll post two lists. The first list will be things we've already bought. The second is things we're looking to buy.

I'd appreciate any insight on either list. Tips on best practices for the things we already have, and advice on what items to consider for the things we're looking to buy.

Things we already have:

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/2014-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-rubicon-guardian-ob14045.18200/
2. Roof Top Tent: IKamper Sky Camp Rocky Black edition with vinyl canopy addition.
6. Stove: Genesis Base Camp 2 burner camping stove by JetBoil with 10" frying pan addition.
7. Safety: H3R Performance 1lb dry chemical extinguisher, Adventure Medical Kits First Aid Kit

2. Recovery Gear: We're thinking Max Trax but we've heard of others. Would love suggestions on this!
3. Toiletries: Wilderness wipes, bio degradable soap, foot powder. Any tips on brands to consider?
4. Tool Storage: We're looking to find a high quality set of roll up tool pouches. Any suggestions?
5. Camping Chairs: We're hoping to find small footprint, light weight, high quality, with back support.
6. Towels: Looking for quality camping towels rather than taking standard towels to conserve on space.
8. Water Storage: Also looking at Rotopax on these. Any others we should consider?
9. Organization: We don't have any build out in the back of the Jeep yet. Looking for options!
10. Power: Looking into the Genesis Dual Battery system. Would love to hear any thoughts on this.
12. GPS/Communication: We're looking for some sort of GPS/Communication device for emergencies.
13. Propane: We've seen others with a 5lb propane tank on the exterior. We're looking for ideas on this.
14. Water Filtration: We're thinking of the MSR Guardian (bacteria and viruses). Others to consider?
16. Privacy: Looking for a quickly deployable and retractable privacy pop-up for toilet/showers. We're considering the Cleanwaste Go Anywhere Privacy Shelter.
17. Solar Power: We're looking to augment our battery with soft solar panels. Any suggestions?
18. Storage Solutions: We're looking for either hard or soft storage solutions. Cases, duffel bags etc.

I think that is it for now. We welcome any other suggestions too. That's what this forum is all about right?

Eric AKA Jeepsies
Reflecting on the things I have used on my trips my suggestion would be for the following items.

Toilet - clean waste go anywhere( works great , light and portable)

Tool roll - check out blue ridge overland , have their attic and seat back organizer , have been absolutely great. The seat back organizer I have on the back of the driver seat so my co pilot can retrieve supplies. The Attic holds soft things like jackets and blankets etc. Great use of space.

Water storage - I use a 16 gal front runner tank on my roof , works great. Easy to take on and off , only refilled once on a 6K mile trip and it wasn't even empty , I will probably switch to the 12 gallon.

Storage - I use the Costco containers (black and yellow lid) they stack nicely are light and durable have been great for separating things by task ( cookware, food, etc.)

Gps- I have an in reach by delorme . Works when cell phones don't. I'm about to add a gmrs unit and a ham radio ( taking my test next week)

Cook set- I use a cheapo Walmart pot and pan , works great and I only have one of each, takes up very little space.

Shower- I use a zodi extreme , works very well and provides a great shower.

My first trips I always took way more than I needed. I really enjoy new gear but some things are so expensive and really aren't needed. I looked at the MSR cook sets , but I'm not backpacking and the weight of a pit and pan has not caused any issues. Little things that make a difference to me , I only bring enough silverware for my self and my girlfriend , 2 cups , 2 plates, 2 bowls etc. We were bringing 4 or so of each. You will have more than Enough space in the jku.

cody_roberts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Things we already have:

Eric AKA Jeepsies
Oh almost forgot , I'll be heading to overland east in November as well with a buddy of mine. I'll be in the jku and he will be in his xj. Would be fun to convoy. We will be leaving out of DFW.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Oh almost forgot , I'll be heading to overland east in November as well with a buddy of mine. I'll be in the jku and he will be in his xj. Would be fun to convoy. We will be leaving out of DFW.
Great tips on your first thread. You've given me a lot to research. I will definitely start doing that. Though I plan to probably wait to buy any other gear until I get to Overland East in case there are deals to be had with onsite vendors.

As far as a caravan, we're totally down to do that and we'll be leaving from the same part of the country. But I don't want to hold you up if you are looking to make tracks. We work in the mornings during the week until about noon, then have lunch then drive until the evening. But let me know how many days you plan on taking to get there and your route. You can PM me if you like. We'd definitely like to caravan if we can make it work!

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Edit: This got really long. Sorry.

It can be tough to make recommendations without a sense of budget -- For example, with regards to storage, $30 REI Duffle Bags work great. So do $300 Pelicans. Pros and Cons to each, but I'll take a stab with my two cents (Well, YOUR two cents, since it's your money :P ). Your original lists in italics. My comments in White and Bolded.

Things we already have:

Nice.

Nice

Nice

Really Nice.

Nice

6. Stove: Genesis Base Camp 2 burner camping stove by JetBoil with 10" frying pan addition.\

Sure. Don't know much about it. Given the above, probably 'Nice'! Anything by Jetboil is decent.

Good kits -- what about training? Do you and your partner have a first aid course? Also if your kit is this one :https://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/medical-kits/adventure-first-aid/adventure-first-aid-1-0.html you may want to consider adding a Sam Splint as I don't see one in there. I'd also suggest adding common medications to your kit -- Immodium, Advil, Tylenol, Benadryl -- as well as some oral rehydration tabs (Pedialyte for instance). Remember, the kit isn't just for you; in a remote situation you might come upon a fellow traveller in need of help.

We use this set and love it. Nesting is great. The plastic plates are a bit soft though so don't be using really sharp knives when cutting into your food or you'll scratch them up very quickly which can trap/hide food and debris, which can harbour germs, and give you a nice dose of awful in the bush. Otherwise, a fantastic kit for the weight/compactness.

Can't go wrong with MaxTrax -- even though you already have a winch, MaxTrax would be my next purchase. You can also get the Maxis Innovations ones of Amazon; I bought them for a buddy last year and they are excellent as well. Not as nice/innovative as MaxTrax, but much cheaper if you are on a budget. I'd also recommend you consider getting yourself a shovel of some kind if you don't have one.

Gold Bond for the powder, but any Talcum powder is a good idea. Shovel is helpful here too from recovery gear for digging latrine holes. My advice is biodegradable soap is important, but it's more important to shower/clean/do dishes away from fresh water by a distance so you don't pollute. Make sure you stay back 50 feet or so from shores (maybe more if possible).

Build your tool roll around your tools. Make a list of what you need for your rig, get it all together, and then go find a solution. I've never found a tool roll I like, so I use a Lincoln Electric welding rod tube with a sock in it to hold all my tools for my bike. Places like Harbour Freight (or Princess Auto in Canada) sell socket strips and such that can help you organize your tools too.

Jeeps mean space is a premium inside, so I use a knock-off Helinox chair from Amazon. $25.00. It's a bit low to the ground but they are sturdy and comfy and about the size of a football. You can also get bigger ones that are a bit higher off the ground and have a higher back, but Helinox are the way to go if you can in my opinion.

I agree with the other poster -- a packable microfibre is the way to go. Sea to Summit make good ones. Don't skimp and get a small one though -- if you are showering or getting clean at altitude, having a full one will mean you are dry and dressed a LOT faster which means you don't spend as much time freezing. I'd also suggest a tiny hand-towel sized MIcrofiber for your kitchen kit; it'll let you dry hands/dishes so that you don't put away wet gear.

I prefer Milspec Scepter cans, but I understand they can be hard to get in the US. If you can swing through Canada, though, Princess Auto sells 'em. They aren't cheap ($80 each), but I've never had one leak even a drop over thousands of kilometres of rough riding. Might not even be legal in the US so tread carefully.

https://civ.sceptermilitary.com/fuel_containers/

Same as above, but a nice blue one.

Lots of options. Best in the business are probably either ARB's drawer system OR the Goose Gear system. You can also build your own as lots of guys have done. Both the commercial options above are expensive ($1200 and $4700 respectively) but they really do help organize the back nicely. We build our own but have since taken it out and will be re-building it with some lessons learned.

Or, you can do what we did for years before the drawer and just use REI Duffles (MEC here -- same product, a thick nylon duffle bag) and have specific colours/sizes for specific purposes. The duffles can all stack on each other.

Final middle-expense option is Alu-Box or Pelicans for keeping stuff organized. There are cheaper equivalents of these cases too (Plano for instance make rotomolded cases).

Andrew St. Pierre White (4xOverland) did a good video on dual battery systems that is worth a look. I know National Luna also make a battery isolation system. Not sure about others as I have yet to set this up.

Goose Gear is Good Gear, no doubt. There may be cheaper options out there from companies like Smittybuilt. Not sure if Teraflex compares price wise but tis' another brand to look at. Smittybilt overland gear is just like everything else -- you get what you pay for -- but for basic stuff like a table it'll probably be good enough. I'm currently using one of their Tents and it's not as good of quality as my old Tepui, but there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it given it was half the price of the comparable 'decent' tent.

Your choices are really just Garmin (Delorme) In-Reach or Spot for satellite tracking and comms. Both now have a device that does 2-way comms. Spot's device is brand new but reviews are mixed. Allegedly, the spot can only send 1 message every 20 minutes (Not independently verified, just what I read the other day) whereas there's no restriction on the Garmin. Garmin also have a better satellite network (60 vs 30). I currently have a spot, but if I were to replace it today, I'd go Garmin In-Reach Mini. If I had the choice of waiting six months, I may go with a Spot X. For general comms there was a big thread the other day about HAM radio, GMRS, CB, etc. that would be good to look at.

This one is allegedly really good: http://store.adventuretrailers.com/products/5-lb.-Propane-Cylinder-Bracket..html

No personal experience with it, but you may also want to check out local RV dealers and see if they have any. If you are bringing a 5-pounder, there's lots of places to store it as its very small.

I can tell you to avoid Katadyn BaseCamps. They plug up VERY fast in even clean water and replacement filters are pricey. I swear by my Sawyer Mini, and with a quick google search you can see how you can set up a gravity filter using the Sawyer and an MSR Dromedary bag which is labour-free 'filter while you wait' clean water for camp right into your water storage option. Plus, the Sawyer work in Lifestraw configuration for solo use and are small enough to pack anywhere.

The budget option is biodegradable garbage bags in a 5 gallon pail with a pool noodle on the rim. Costs you about $5 bucks. Your butt might be able to tell the difference though! We generally dig a latrine for temporary use and ensure no non-compostable waste goes in, but our environment means we camp where potentially no one else does for years at a time (Northern Canada) where as some places in the US are a bit more crowded. Strongly encourage you to consider ecological impact of the area you are in.

Most of these are only of limited use/durability; I wouldn't spend a lot of money on one if I were you. We usually rig up a tarp or are in places where they are remote enough to just say "Hey, I'm showering. Don't look North. If you do, that's a 'you' problem as you have been warned.". YMMV of course.

Also, something to consider -- room in the JK is a bit tight. Once you start adding a toilet, a privacy tent, etc. you can run out of cubic inches pretty quickly. Also consider your weight; the JK is notoriously low on payload for overloading trips. You may know this already but I figured I'd mention it; jeeping in the traditional sense means big tires and lots of suspension travel for low-speed traverse of difficult terrain. Overlanding requires reasonable tires and suspension that can consistently handle heavy weights on rough roads at a decent clip.

If you have dual batters, I would forego the Solar. Anything small (Goal Zero) is too small to be effective for your rig; anything large enough for your rig is too much weight in my opinion; and for personal devices it's easier to charge off an inverter inside than a solar outside. If you do want a portable panel for hikes, check out Anker solar packs on Amazon. Much cheaper than Goal Zero, but reviewed very well.

Mentioned this above -- Alu-Box, Pelicans, or REI Duffles are great for this role depending on needs and budget.

Okay so with those comments out of the way, something to really consider is the weight and volume of stuff you are bringing. You still need room for food and beer, after all. My experience in overloading with a Jeep is that the Jeep can carry almost nothing almost everywhere. Cubic inches are limited inside for one, and for two, the payload is abysmal. It was a bit shocking to me when I did the math, to be honest. For instance:

In my case, in addition to the stock Jeep, I have a Gobi rack (100 lbs), a RTT (120 lbs), Front and Rear bumpers (140lbs), a Winch (60lbs), Lighting (20 lbs), a rear tire carrier with a hi lift, fuel, and water (120 lbs when containers are full), and an awning (50 lbs). Just on stuff bolted to the jeep, I'm already at 610 lbs.

Add in me (200 lbs), my wife (120lbs), my two dogs (130 lbs), and now I'm at 1060 lbs. That's already over the max payload of a stock Rubicon Unlimited.

This is before ANY additional gear from your lists, which could easily hit a few hundred pounds. And then you have the weight of the fridge, any storage systems you buy, etc. so a 500 lbs boost over what I described above is easy to hit.

Your lift may give you some extra payload depending on the design, but I always struggle with knowing 'how much?'. I don't know of any company that will give a firm number (Not even AEV, who allegedly work with Chrysler and do the original engineering etc.). Even if it's a 50% increase, which is I think very generous, that only gives you about 1500 lbs of payload in your rig. So with the example above, you are close to or over in a jeep in the best case scenario. Either way, its going to have an impact on your vehicle and increase the odds of a failure which gets pretty pricey in the sticks.

Additionally, if you go too far outside payload, in some areas you could run into insurance issues.

My advice: Treat Jeep Overlanding like you would backpacking. Buy good gear that will contribute to weight savings, and don't bring anything you don't absolutely need. best way to do this is to keep track of what you use on each outing, and slim down on stuff that doesn't get touched (and that you can spare...you may not need your tool kit the first 10 times, but that doesn't mean you should leave it behind!

Now, if we could all get Jeep to make a civilian version of the J8 with the HD leaf springs and gusseted frame, we'd be having a different conversation!

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

It can be tough to make recommendations without a sense of budget -- For example, with regards to storage, $30 REI Duffle Bags work great. So do $300 Pelicans. Pros and Cons to each, but I'll take a stab with my two cents (Well, YOUR two cents, since it's your money :P ). Your original lists in italics. My comments in White and Bolded.

Things we already have:

Nice.

Nice

Nice

Really Nice.

Nice

6. Stove: Genesis Base Camp 2 burner camping stove by JetBoil with 10" frying pan addition.\

Sure. Don't know much about it. Given the above, probably 'Nice'! Anything by Jetboil is decent.

Good kits -- what about training? Do you and your partner have a first aid course? Also if your kit is this one :https://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/medical-kits/adventure-first-aid/adventure-first-aid-1-0.html you may want to consider adding a Sam Splint as I don't see one in there. I'd also suggest adding common medications to your kit -- Immodium, Advil, Tylenol, Benadryl -- as well as some oral rehydration tabs (Pedialyte for instance). Remember, the kit isn't just for you; in a remote situation you might come upon a fellow traveller in need of help.

We use this set and love it. Nesting is great. The plastic plates are a bit soft though so don't be using really sharp knives when cutting into your food or you'll scratch them up very quickly which can trap/hide food and debris, which can harbour germs, and give you a nice dose of awful in the bush. Otherwise, a fantastic kit for the weight/compactness.

Can't go wrong with MaxTrax -- even though you already have a winch, MaxTrax would be my next purchase. You can also get the Maxis Innovations ones of Amazon; I bought them for a buddy last year and they are excellent as well. Not as nice/innovative as MaxTrax, but much cheaper if you are on a budget. I'd also recommend you consider getting yourself a shovel of some kind if you don't have one.

Gold Bond for the powder, but any Talcum powder is a good idea. Shovel is helpful here too from recovery gear for digging latrine holes. My advice is biodegradable soap is important, but it's more important to shower/clean/do dishes away from fresh water by a distance so you don't pollute. Make sure you stay back 50 feet or so from shores (maybe more if possible).

Build your tool roll around your tools. Make a list of what you need for your rig, get it all together, and then go find a solution. I've never found a tool roll I like, so I use a Lincoln Electric welding rod tube with a sock in it to hold all my tools for my bike. Places like Harbour Freight (or Princess Auto in Canada) sell socket strips and such that can help you organize your tools too.

Jeeps mean space is a premium inside, so I use a knock-off Helinox chair from Amazon. $25.00. It's a bit low to the ground but they are sturdy and comfy and about the size of a football. You can also get bigger ones that are a bit higher off the ground and have a higher back, but Helinox are the way to go if you can in my opinion.

I agree with the other poster -- a packable microfibre is the way to go. Sea to Summit make good ones. Don't skimp and get a small one though -- if you are showering or getting clean at altitude, having a full one will mean you are dry and dressed a LOT faster which means you don't spend as much time freezing. I'd also suggest a tiny hand-towel sized MIcrofiber for your kitchen kit; it'll let you dry hands/dishes so that you don't put away wet gear.

I prefer Milspec Scepter cans, but I understand they can be hard to get in the US. If you can swing through Canada, though, Princess Auto sells 'em. They aren't cheap ($80 each), but I've never had one leak even a drop over thousands of kilometres of rough riding. Might not even be legal in the US so tread carefully.

https://civ.sceptermilitary.com/fuel_containers/

Same as above, but a nice blue one.

Lots of options. Best in the business are probably either ARB's drawer system OR the Goose Gear system. You can also build your own as lots of guys have done. Both the commercial options above are expensive ($1200 and $4700 respectively) but they really do help organize the back nicely. We build our own but have since taken it out and will be re-building it with some lessons learned.

Or, you can do what we did for years before the drawer and just use REI Duffles (MEC here -- same product, a thick nylon duffle bag) and have specific colours/sizes for specific purposes. The duffles can all stack on each other.

Final middle-expense option is Alu-Box or Pelicans for keeping stuff organized. There are cheaper equivalents of these cases too (Plano for instance make rotomolded cases).

Andrew St. Pierre White (4xOverland) did a good video on dual battery systems that is worth a look. I know National Luna also make a battery isolation system. Not sure about others as I have yet to set this up.

Goose Gear is Good Gear, no doubt. There may be cheaper options out there from companies like Smittybuilt. Not sure if Teraflex compares price wise but tis' another brand to look at. Smittybilt overland gear is just like everything else -- you get what you pay for -- but for basic stuff like a table it'll probably be good enough. I'm currently using one of their Tents and it's not as good of quality as my old Tepui, but there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it given it was half the price of the comparable 'decent' tent.

Your choices are really just Garmin (Delorme) In-Reach or Spot for satellite tracking and comms. Both now have a device that does 2-way comms. Spot's device is brand new but reviews are mixed. Allegedly, the spot can only send 1 message every 20 minutes (Not independently verified, just what I read the other day) whereas there's no restriction on the Garmin. Garmin also have a better satellite network (60 vs 30). I currently have a spot, but if I were to replace it today, I'd go Garmin In-Reach Mini. If I had the choice of waiting six months, I may go with a Spot X. For general comms there was a big thread the other day about HAM radio, GMRS, CB, etc. that would be good to look at.

This one is allegedly really good: http://store.adventuretrailers.com/products/5-lb.-Propane-Cylinder-Bracket..html

No personal experience with it, but you may also want to check out local RV dealers and see if they have any. If you are bringing a 5-pounder, there's lots of places to store it as its very small.

I can tell you to avoid Katadyn BaseCamps. They plug up VERY fast in even clean water and replacement filters are pricey. I swear by my Sawyer Mini, and with a quick google search you can see how you can set up a gravity filter using the Sawyer and an MSR Dromedary bag which is labour-free 'filter while you wait' clean water for camp right into your water storage option. Plus, the Sawyer work in Lifestraw configuration for solo use and are small enough to pack anywhere.

The budget option is biodegradable garbage bags in a 5 gallon pail with a pool noodle on the rim. Costs you about $5 bucks. Your butt might be able to tell the difference though! We generally dig a latrine for temporary use and ensure no non-compostable waste goes in, but our environment means we camp where potentially no one else does for years at a time (Northern Canada) where as some places in the US are a bit more crowded. Strongly encourage you to consider ecological impact of the area you are in.

Most of these are only of limited use/durability; I wouldn't spend a lot of money on one if I were you. We usually rig up a tarp or are in places where they are remote enough to just say "Hey, I'm showering. Don't look North. If you do, that's a 'you' problem as you have been warned.". YMMV of course.

Also, something to consider -- room in the JK is a bit tight. Once you start adding a toilet, a privacy tent, etc. you can run out of cubic inches pretty quickly. Also consider your weight; the JK is notoriously low on payload for overloading trips. You may know this already but I figured I'd mention it; jeeping in the traditional sense means big tires and lots of suspension travel for low-speed traverse of difficult terrain. Overlanding requires reasonable tires and suspension that can consistently handle heavy weights on rough roads at a decent clip.

If you have dual batters, I would forego the Solar. Anything small (Goal Zero) is too small to be effective for your rig; anything large enough for your rig is too much weight in my opinion; and for personal devices it's easier to charge off an inverter inside than a solar outside. If you do want a portable panel for hikes, check out Anker solar packs on Amazon. Much cheaper than Goal Zero, but reviewed very well.

Mentioned this above -- Alu-Box, Pelicans, or REI Duffles are great for this role depending on needs and budget.

Okay so with those comments out of the way, something to really consider is the weight and volume of stuff you are bringing. You still need room for food and beer, after all. My experience in overloading with a Jeep is that the Jeep can carry almost nothing almost everywhere. Cubic inches are limited inside for one, and for two, the payload is abysmal. It was a bit shocking to me when I did the math, to be honest. For instance:

In my case, in addition to the stock Jeep, I have a Gobi rack (100 lbs), a RTT (120 lbs), Front and Rear bumpers (140lbs), a Winch (60lbs), Lighting (20 lbs), a rear tire carrier with a hi lift, fuel, and water (120 lbs when containers are full), and an awning (50 lbs). Just on stuff bolted to the jeep, I'm already at 610 lbs.

Add in me (200 lbs), my wife (120lbs), my two dogs (130 lbs), and now I'm at 1060 lbs. That's already over the max payload of a stock Rubicon Unlimited.

This is before ANY additional gear from your lists, which could easily hit a few hundred pounds. And then you have the weight of the fridge, any storage systems you buy, etc. so a 500 lbs boost over what I described above is easy to hit.

Your lift may give you some extra payload depending on the design, but I always struggle with knowing 'how much?'. I don't know of any company that will give a firm number (Not even AEV, who allegedly work with Chrysler and do the original engineering etc.). Even if it's a 50% increase, which is I think very generous, that only gives you about 1500 lbs of payload in your rig. So with the example above, you are close to or over in a jeep in the best case scenario. Either way, its going to have an impact on your vehicle and increase the odds of a failure which gets pretty pricey in the sticks.

Additionally, if you go too far outside payload, in some areas you could run into insurance issues.

My advice: Treat Jeep Overlanding like you would backpacking. Buy good gear that will contribute to weight savings, and don't bring anything you don't absolutely need. best way to do this is to keep track of what you use on each outing, and slim down on stuff that doesn't get touched (and that you can spare...you may not need your tool kit the first 10 times, but that doesn't mean you should leave it behind!

Now, if we could all get Jeep to make a civilian version of the J8 with the HD leaf springs and gusseted frame, we'd be having a different conversation!
At a dinner engagement tonight but I want to reply to this in detail. For now I’ll say thanks. Full comments when I’m not entertaining.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
At a dinner engagement tonight but I want to reply to this in detail. For now I’ll say thanks. Full comments when I’m not entertaining.
Just read through your build in more detail, you definitely have a lot more experience than I realized — I certainly hope nothing comes across as patronizing! That was absolutely not my intent. I’ll leave it as-is as other may read through it and glean something useful too but of course some of it may already be considered by you in detail.

Really nice Jeep! And thanks for your service in the coast guard. Me and my wife might be Canadians but when the water gets rough it doesn’t matter what flag is above the rescue ship!

Last edited:

ToyotaGirl76

Rank 0

Traveler I

Indiana
I’ve never owned Max Trax but I have the X-Bull ones which have helped me out of the snow and helped level the truck when parking for the night, lightweight and haven’t had any issues with them. (09 Toyota Tundra)

I’ve got the Clean Waste Go Anywhere and it’s super simple to set up along with my Wolfwise pop up. Also have the Zodi Outback battery shower pump that I use with a 5 gal water jug and a homemade 2x4 stand for showering. Simple and not overly priced is usually my way :). I plan on heading out to Overland East too from Indiana, hope to meet/see you all out there!

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Great stuff! I can't contribute nearly as much but to say I am really happy with my home-built storage drawers over my previous duffle-bag arrangement.

Otherwise, I feel like I'm watching someone assemble what will ultimately be featured in some offroad magazine centerfold article, probably titled "Everything You Need to Take your Jeep to the Ends of the Earth and Like It!"

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

My experience in overloading with a Jeep is that the Jeep can carry almost nothing almost everywhere.

@IronJackWhitton by far your reply is the most thoughtful and comprehensive reply I've ever received to any post I've made on Overland Bound. So I wanted to let you know that your thoughts and advice are well received and appreciated. I didn't feel that your comments were condescending at all. I'm old enough to have learned that others have forgotten more than I know on a myriad of subjects. I truly appreciate your time, experience, and knowledge. Thank you.

Your statement about Jeeps carry almost nothing everywhere is brilliant and so true, and I'm letting you know now that I'll be stealing and using that quote in some future article for my blog. #NoticeGiven

Thanks for taking a look at the Jeep build. As you can see I don't mind spending the coin for the right gear. However, initially the Jeep was set up to be a daily driver that could tackle some serious off-road trails. It is really well built for that. When we started our build we didn't have overlanding on the brain. That has all changed. So I'm sure that we'll end up needing to make modifications to our current build to save on weight.

The payload capacity of my Jeep is 1179lbs. That isn't much to play with. One of the things your thread has prompted is a list which I'll be creating that starts with the stock weight of the Jeep and then adds in every mod and piece of gear we have and its weight. Then to factor in my weight (150), my wife's weight (125) and my son's weight (30) as well as consider fuel weight, extra fuel weight, and water. This is a lot to do, but it is the right step for us. Thank you again for that prompting.

Lastly, I'll be looking into ALL of your suggestions in the thread in detail.

I guess the bottom line for us, is that I don't mind spending the coin for the right piece of equipment and we're definitely looking at a few things probably in this order:

1. Do we NEED it.
2. If we don't need it, will we USE it?
3. Will the item serve a dual purpose?
4. If the item will not serve a dual purpose, is there one that will?
5. What is the footprint of the item?
6. What is the weight of the item?

Those are for the essentials. Then it is a factor of figuring out what we're at as far as space remaining, and weight.

Then onto the non-essentials. So we've got a long road ahead of us without logging a single mile, but I'm of the mindset of doing something right the first time with the understanding that things will happen and experience will enlighten.

I'm giving you a follow on Overland Bound right now, and I hope we can become friends and meet up some day. Thank you again. All of this is like drinking from a firehose, but I'm ready to learn and receive wisdom from those that have gone a few more miles in the shoes I hope to wear.

Respectfully,

Eric AKA Jeepsies

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I’ve never owned Max Trax but I have the X-Bull ones which have helped me out of the snow and helped level the truck when parking for the night, lightweight and haven’t had any issues with them. (09 Toyota Tundra)

I’ve got the Clean Waste Go Anywhere and it’s super simple to set up along with my Wolfwise pop up. Also have the Zodi Outback battery shower pump that I use with a 5 gal water jug and a homemade 2x4 stand for showering. Simple and not overly priced is usually my way :). I plan on heading out to Overland East too from Indiana, hope to meet/see you all out there!
Appreciate the insight. I saw some alternative options to the MaxTrax on YouTube but I can't remember the name of the product. They folded on themselves and there was an independent comparison of them vs MaxTrax. They had a smaller footprint and that is what interested me. We're heading to Expo East this year, so I'm probably going to hold off buying any gear until we see what they have at the show. Hopefully some special deals too.

Thanks for the tips though, we'll keep a lookout for the gear you mentioned!

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Otherwise, I feel like I'm watching someone assemble what will ultimately be featured in some offroad magazine centerfold article, probably titled "Everything You Need to Take your Jeep to the Ends of the Earth and Like It!"
You might just be.. not that we'd end up in a magazine, but I will tell you that we've been full-time travelers for 5 years, we don't own a house and we have wanderlust to the extreme. We're very intentional about the way we build and travel. So be watching!

There are 195 countries in the world. There are 186 that the State Department says it is ok to travel to. Not kidding when I tell you that my wife would like to visit all 186 and that I'm game too. Our son is 20 months old and has been to 27 national park sites including 14 National Parks in those 20 months. We are visiting Wind Cave National Park today which will be his 15th National Park. Not bad for 20 months right?

Thanks for the comment! Hope to see you on the trails.

Eric AKA Jeepsies

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
@IronJackWhitton by far your reply is the most thoughtful and comprehensive reply I've ever received to any post I've made on Overland Bound. So I wanted to let you know that your thoughts and advice are well received and appreciated. I didn't feel that your comments were condescending at all. I'm old enough to have learned that others have forgotten more than I know on a myriad of subjects. I truly appreciate your time, experience, and knowledge. Thank you.

Your statement about Jeeps carry almost nothing everywhere is brilliant and so true, and I'm letting you know now that I'll be stealing and using that quote in some future article for my blog. #NoticeGiven

Thanks for taking a look at the Jeep build. As you can see I don't mind spending the coin for the right gear. However, initially the Jeep was set up to be a daily driver that could tackle some serious off-road trails. It is really well built for that. When we started our build we didn't have overlanding on the brain. That has all changed. So I'm sure that we'll end up needing to make modifications to our current build to save on weight.

The payload capacity of my Jeep is 1179lbs. That isn't much to play with. One of the things your thread has prompted is a list which I'll be creating that starts with the stock weight of the Jeep and then adds in every mod and piece of gear we have and its weight. Then to factor in my weight (150), my wife's weight (125) and my son's weight (30) as well as consider fuel weight, extra fuel weight, and water. This is a lot to do, but it is the right step for us. Thank you again for that prompting.

Lastly, I'll be looking into ALL of your suggestions in the thread in detail.

I guess the bottom line for us, is that I don't mind spending the coin for the right piece of equipment and we're definitely looking at a few things probably in this order:

1. Do we NEED it.
2. If we don't need it, will we USE it?
3. Will the item serve a dual purpose?
4. If the item will not serve a dual purpose, is there one that will?
5. What is the footprint of the item?
6. What is the weight of the item?

Those are for the essentials. Then it is a factor of figuring out what we're at as far as space remaining, and weight.

Then onto the non-essentials. So we've got a long road ahead of us without logging a single mile, but I'm of the mindset of doing something right the first time with the understanding that things will happen and experience will enlighten.

I'm giving you a follow on Overland Bound right now, and I hope we can become friends and meet up some day. Thank you again. All of this is like drinking from a firehose, but I'm ready to learn and receive wisdom from those that have gone a few more miles in the shoes I hope to wear.

Respectfully,

Eric AKA Jeepsies
Thanks very much for the kind words, Eric! I’m glad my previous message was taken as intended. It’s easy to cross wires in type-written communication so I wanted to ensure I didn’t do that. Plus I’m Canadian so I’m genetically hardwired to apologize for everything all the time. Sorry about that but I can’t help it [emoji6]

Your approach is incredibly wise with the need-use-dual purpose matrix. If I had done that years ago when I first started getting into it, I would have saved thousands upon thousands of dollars. I now look for sales and deals, but have adopted a “buy once, cry once” mentality on mission critical equipment. Minor stuff that I can replace at a gas stop I don’t care too much about — you won’t find me spending $100 on a tarp when a $5 equivalent will do! — but the approach is the right one for stuff you will use every day and depend on to just work.

I’ll follow you back and I hope we one day cross paths! If your trips ever take you up through Alberta be sure to drop me a line — we’ve got some pretty nice tracks in the west of the province and I’d love to meet up and see your rig in person and share some stories around a campfire. You folks sound like you are living the dream!

Last edited: