my overlanding experience

• HTML tutorial

gregmyer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

So i just got a dog, and i am curious how members of the community bring there dogs with them on off-road excursions? i am open to ideas. i have been thinking of ripping out my back seats and building a platform. what do yall think?

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
So i just got a dog, and i am curious how members of the community bring there dogs with them on off-road excursions? i am open to ideas. i have been thinking of ripping out my back seats and building a platform. what do yall think?
My dogs come with me everywhere, and I live in and explore rough mountainous terrain. They seems to prefer a setup of a padded landing area (platform, back seats folded down, etc. With a 2" doggie bed pad on top) So when things get bumpy and off camber, they hunker down. I do make sure my load is restrained and surround them with soft goods lashed down, acting as bolsters, don't want anything hitting me or the knuckleheads, or them slamming into something hard on a trail. My dogs are 75 and 60 lbs, if that helps.

gregmyer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

My dogs come with me everywhere, and I live in and explore rough mountainous terrain. They seems to prefer a setup of a padded landing area (platform, back seats folded down, etc. With a 2" doggie bed pad on top) So when things get bumpy and off camber, they hunker down. I do make sure my load is restrained and surround them with soft goods lashed down, acting as bolsters, don't want anything hitting me or the knuckleheads, or them slamming into something hard on a trail. My dogs are 75 and 60 lbs, if that helps.
that is great my dog will be around the size. i want for a ride today and the better 3/4 sat in the back to hold the dog. i am leaning towards the platform. i will be building it myself and posting the build log.

gregmyer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

These are from today went and finished mapping the area i was exploring last. the roads today were much mot technical. not to self i need skid plates.
IMG_20180707_115809018_HDR.jpg IMG_20180707_121904906_HDR.jpg IMG_20180707_122859917_HDR.jpg IMG_20180707_123037902_HDR.jpg IMG_20180707_130256160_HDR.jpg IMG_20180707_132814364_HDR.jpg IMG_20180707_132819214_HDR.jpg IMG_20180707_132821013.jpg IMG_20180707_132823261_HDR.jpg IMG_20180707_141933912_HDR.jpg

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Check out the threads on battery chainsaws. We live offgrid, so felling trees is a daily event, but if you just use it once in a while, I was impressed with the DeWalt saw. My 64 yr old mom is afraid of our gas saws, so I bought her one. That woman put up 10 cords on the property with it already! As long as the tree is less than about 16" dia. Its a handy little rig with minimal maintenance and mess.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Check out the thread Overland Hound

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Dogs are great for overlanding. My only advice is to be cautious of the rules in different National Parks. Great Sand Dunes allows dogs. Many parks like Tetons & Canyonlands only allow dogs in vehicles on paved roads—so no hiking and no 4x4ing. But as long as National Parks aren’t a priority dogs are great to have along. IMG_1263.JPG

Reactions: gregmyer

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Also, cool truck! I still have my ‘03 f150. Got 265k on the original 5.4 triton. Transmission rebuild at 260k miles. MPGs were much better in that rig than my Jeep. With 3.55 gears, CAI, and a custom program I was getting 22/23 hwy mpgs (33” tires).

gregmyer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Also, cool truck! I still have my ‘03 f150. Got 265k on the original 5.4 triton. Transmission rebuild at 260k miles. MPGs were much better in that rig than my Jeep. With 3.55 gears, CAI, and a custom program I was getting 22/23 hwy mpgs (33” tires).
i wish my truck got mpg's like that. I rebuilt the engine at 198k ( it drank a bit of water and bent a rod. but it was still running lol), and i just rebuilt the trans 210k ( took the chance to make it bullet proof.) i some times do some heavy towing. during the engine rebuild i got an cia and long tube headers electric fans and a 3" exhaust that i built.. i want to get a custom tune but i am having some trouble finding anybody in the salt lake valley area to do it. thank you for the advice on the parks down south i will look out for restriction when planing my next trip.
IMG_20180818_153902839_HDR.jpg

Reactions: MtnManAlex

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

This is just my thought and point of view, if your doing a lot of towing and want better mpg on the freeway drop to a 2 1/2" minamally bent exhaust . 3" is almost to much for a small block you will pick up some upper rpm hp but at the cost of lower end torque. If redoing the whole exhaust is not an option step up to a bit more of a restrictive Muffler I've had fantastic luck with the Dynomax VT Muffler no annoying drone on the freeway. If your motor was built different cam higher compression better flowing heads 3 inch would be perfect.

Keep up with all your exploring looks like you find some fantastic places to go

gregmyer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

so i was out today running a trail with a fellow member and when i finished my truck was stuck in 4wd low. some times i cant win. so i limped it to a shop near my house.

gregmyer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

winter is over now looking forward to an great season of touring in the back country. going to refresh the truck this weakened and do some small upgrades. big news i am redoing my front and rear axles this summer. upgrading to 4.56 gears and a Detroit locker in the back with a true track in the front. i also found out why my truck was stuck in 4wd low, i had a bad break light switch. i will take some photos this weakened while doing the work and also hope to get some mud on the tiers.

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
@gregmyer Welcome, I'm the Southern Utah Rep and have an '07 F-150 as my Daily Driver. Its has been awesome, I drive a ton (going to hit 377,777 miles today) Everything original, only have replaced maintenance items so I'm proof that your truck can last a really long time. Glad to see you so active on here, let me know if you decide to roll south for a trip and I'll hook you up with some must see sights!