My mini base-camp trailer

• HTML tutorial

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

So a little over a year ago this project started.

The purpose for this trailer, is use on extended trips or when there is a plan to sit in one spot and explore out from there. I helped @1Louder construct the Beast Mode trailer and our time working with Dave at Turtleback definitely influenced some of the design decisions. I like to think of myself as a minimalist; I hate spending a lot of time packing when it is time to move. Therefore the trailer had to really be justified for my needs; not just to carry more stuff.

Some of the key design characteristics include:
- Built to augment the kitchen set-up on my FJ
- Had to have the ability to open the FJ rear door while hooked up for travel
- Around 1000 lb max
- Ground clearance to be pulled behind the FJ
- Heavy duty axle for off-road use (uses the same axle as the Turtleback trailer)
- Same wheels as the FJ for spare tire reasons
- No lift mechanism for the RTT
- Most important no lid required to access the storage.

When complete it will contain:
- Roof Top Tent
- 20 gals on board water fed through a 12v DC pump
- 2-5 gal fuel cans
- 4lb propane tank
- Room for 2 large action packers to cover additional cooking equipment and food
- Additional storage for a portable shower/restroom facility

Where it stands today -

Phone download 6-8-16 176.JPG Phone download 6-8-16 178.JPG Phone download 6-8-16 1586.JPG Phone download 6-8-16 1587.JPG Phone download 6-8-16 1589.JPG Phone download 6-8-16 1591.JPG Phone download 6-8-16 1592.JPG Phone download 6-8-16 1593.JPG Phone download 6-8-16 1597.JPG

Punch list:
- Lights
- Finish welding the decking
- Bedliner
- 2-Cargo doors
- Install water tank and plumbing
- Electrical system
- Exterior skinning

Goal to be fully operational by August for the NMBDR run starting Labor Day weekend.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
@Gunnermoose That's awesome fab work, I so wish I could weld, rephrase-I can just really badly. Wish you lived in the same town I would live to work with someone with that nohow!!!! Great looking build.....

Reactions: Gunnermoose

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

@Gunnermoose That's awesome fab work, I so wish I could weld, rephrase-I can just really badly. Wish you lived in the same town I would live to work with someone with that nohow!!!! Great looking build.....
Full disclosure, I am not the welder. A good friend Pat is the artist with the skill! I come up with the ideas and Pat puts me back into the realm of reality and makes it work.

Reactions: mmnorthdirections

Knapps Over

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

New Jersey US
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Knapp
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Love the build. I'm doing something similar for a planned 12week trip nextyear. I need storage and gear for 4-5 people.
Keep the updates coming, I'll start a thread for mine soon.