Benjamin Croce

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Conway, New Hampshire
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1LAH
Figured I'd start a build thread. Never done one before but here we go.

Bought my 2013 JK about 3 years ago now. Started off completely stock as most people do, and just started buying stuff for it. I knew right off the bat this was going to be a budget build of a Jeep, but there were certain things I was not going to skimp on.

There are currently parts of my Jeep build I'm very proud of, and others I'm embarrassed to show off but feel I should as it shows the progress of things I've done. Learning what works well and what doesn't and improving on what I have. Please, feel free to add your 2 cents! I'm open to suggestions on how I can better improve on my rig!

Links to all the parts I have:

(soon)

Exterior

Here's a picture of how it sat the day I bought it. At first I never considered doing an "overland" build for it. I never really knew what overlanding was until videos from IAmJake started poping up in my YouTube channel, and I instantly knew what I wanted to do with my Jeep.

Very first thing I did was order 33's. The stock tires are just way too small for these Jeeps out the factory. Since I'm local Firefighter\EMT I also got my lights and siren installed.

95777 95779

Up next came the fenders. Wen't with some cheap Razer Auto fenders because they both looked really neat with the lights in them and they fit my budget.

Out of all honest, what started coming up next began what I consider the "ugly phase" of my build. I did limb risers and a massive front bumper. If I was to do it all over again, I'd do 35's and the lift kit first, then bumpers and fenders. Yes, this first round of pictures are pretty much all driveway shots. They get better I promise!

I'm going to fast forward this a bit. A while after doing the bumpers, limb risers, fenders etc I ended up pulling the trigger on a Gobi Stealth rack. This was one of the mods I didn't wan't to cheap out on. I wanted something that I could trust with heavy loads but also look nice. I had considered the Barracaid rack, but it just stuck out too far from the body of the Jeep and I didn't think it looked that nice.

On top of the roof rack, I also ended up getting a Badlands 12,000lb winch as a gift, and got myself a RC Black Series 12" Lightbar for the front of the bumper. Lights before lockers right? Around the same time I got my RTT. I had followed Brad's videos from Trail Recon on his Smittybilt RTT and figured it would be a good starting tent. It fit the budget, and honestly I was impressed with the quality out of the box. Spent a few nights in it during the winter and now I understand why people who winter camp like the larger tents with the larger area that encloses the ladder. I was pretty nervous having my Mr. Buddy heater right next to me while I was sleeping. I tied it off to the tent supports and had it elevated on a platform, but I'd still rather (in the future) invest in one of the larger tents that has the enclosed ladder annex space.

Up next it was time to address my horrible factory suspension. The shocks were shot, springs where sagging and it needed a major overhaul. I figured now is the best time to do a lift kit, and this wasn't going to be something I would cheap out on. I wen't with the Rock Krawler 3.5" Mid arm kit, complete with both track bars and all control arms. Didn't have the funds to do the drive shafts at the same time, but its on the list. So far I just have the exhaust spacers in and no issues yet. Hopefully it holds up. After the lift was done I sold my 33's and got myself 35" Duratrac tires. The lift actually ended up giving me nearly 6" of height, so now I wish I had gone with 37's.

And so far, that's what I have done for the exterior. The list is still very long, but I'm rapidly making progress at a much faster rate than I thought.

Here's just some random pics of the Jeep as it sits today. I don't daily run the RTT, only when I wan't to actually go camping. I have a few big trips planned for the summer so I'll have some great pics soon!

Last edited:

Benjamin Croce

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Conway, New Hampshire
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1LAH
Interior

I won't go into too much detail on everything since its still a massive work in progress. But first and foremost I will say that one of my biggest summertime projects is going to be a complete re-wire of my Jeep from top to bottom. I have a couple of much nicer fuse boxes and I've got some better routes to run wires now. Most of the stuff in the Jeep was done over the winter where I just ran the wire, fused it and left it instead of sleeving it and organizing it. That will change.

Here's a couple quick shots of the interior. I've got the Smittybilt GEAR seat covers. Mopar headliner with just some random patches I had laying around.

As for the nicer things in the interior, I've got a home made overhead console for running three radios plus my fourth mounted under the seat next to my siren amp. The radios I have are a Motorola Astro (For FD use), a Uniden 990SSB, a B-Tech 50X2 and a TYT TH-9800 Quad Band (which is the remote head over the heat controls).

Switches are all OTRATTW. I've got three panels, one on the A post, then the Daystar panel in front of the shifter and a added one to the left of the steering wheel.

The green keypad one in the middle below the stereo is a Feneix 4200 Mini I use for controlling all my emergency lights, and the smaller red switch board next to the cupholders is the temporary siren controller that will be replaced soon.

The big wooden pieces of Advantec flooring are a temporary platform as I construct my final platform system. Its going to be a two piece design, first will be a fully encapsulating platform with the fender boxes just like the full Goosegear plate system. The second piece will be a quick removable set of draws that will go in the middle. Its still being worked on in my garage but for now, this is what I've got in the back of the Jeep.

I did also add Dynamat under the rear carpeting to help with some road noise. Did the trick, and no more exhaust drone.

At night I do have some LED strips on the underside of the rear glass.

Last edited:

LostMayhem

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maccione
Member #

Figured I'd start a build thread. Never done one before but here we go.

Bought my 2013 JK about 3 years ago now. Started off completely stock as most people do, and just started buying stuff for it. I knew right off the bat this was going to be a budget build of a Jeep, but there were certain things I was not going to skimp on.

There are currently parts of my Jeep build I'm very proud of, and others I'm embarrassed to show off but feel I should as it shows the progress of things I've done. Learning what works well and what doesn't and improving on what I have. Please, feel free to add your 2 cents! I'm open to suggestions on how I can better improve on my rig!

Links to all the parts I have:

(soon)

Exterior

Here's a picture of how it sat the day I bought it. At first I never considered doing an "overland" build for it. I never really knew what overlanding was until videos from IAmJake started poping up in my YouTube channel, and I instantly knew what I wanted to do with my Jeep.

View attachment 95776

Very first thing I did was order 33's. The stock tires are just way too small for these Jeeps out the factory. Since I'm local Firefighter\EMT I also got my lights and siren installed.

View attachment 95777 View attachment 95779

Up next came the fenders. Wen't with some cheap Razer Auto fenders because they both looked really neat with the lights in them and they fit my budget.

View attachment 95780

Out of all honest, what started coming up next began what I consider the "ugly phase" of my build. I did limb risers and a massive front bumper. If I was to do it all over again, I'd do 35's and the lift kit first, then bumpers and fenders. Yes, this first round of pictures are pretty much all driveway shots. They get better I promise!

View attachment 95781

I'm going to fast forward this a bit. A while after doing the bumpers, limb risers, fenders etc I ended up pulling the trigger on a Gobi Stealth rack. This was one of the mods I didn't wan't to cheap out on. I wanted something that I could trust with heavy loads but also look nice. I had considered the Barracaid rack, but it just stuck out too far from the body of the Jeep and I didn't think it looked that nice.

On top of the roof rack, I also ended up getting a Badlands 12,000lb winch as a gift, and got myself a RC Black Series 12" Lightbar for the front of the bumper. Lights before lockers right? Around the same time I got my RTT. I had followed Brad's videos from Trail Recon on his Smittybilt RTT and figured it would be a good starting tent. It fit the budget, and honestly I was impressed with the quality out of the box. Spent a few nights in it during the winter and now I understand why people who winter camp like the larger tents with the larger area that encloses the ladder. I was pretty nervous having my Mr. Buddy heater right next to me while I was sleeping. I tied it off to the tent supports and had it elevated on a platform, but I'd still rather (in the future) invest in one of the larger tents that has the enclosed ladder annex space.

View attachment 95794

Up next it was time to address my horrible factory suspension. The shocks were shot, springs where sagging and it needed a major overhaul. I figured now is the best time to do a lift kit, and this wasn't going to be something I would cheap out on. I wen't with the Rock Krawler 3.5" Mid arm kit, complete with both track bars and all control arms. Didn't have the funds to do the drive shafts at the same time, but its on the list. So far I just have the exhaust spacers in and no issues yet. Hopefully it holds up. After the lift was done I sold my 33's and got myself 35" Duratrac tires. The lift actually ended up giving me nearly 6" of height, so now I wish I had gone with 37's.

View attachment 95796

And so far, that's what I have done for the exterior. The list is still very long, but I'm rapidly making progress at a much faster rate than I thought.

Here's just some random pics of the Jeep as it sits today. I don't daily run the RTT, only when I wan't to actually go camping. I have a few big trips planned for the summer so I'll have some great pics soon!

View attachment 95797View attachment 95798View attachment 95799
Which rock sliders did you end up going with. I am trying to build on a budget also and can’t find a great pair that are affordable, they’re an expensive upgrade next to bumpers.

Jeep looks great, I don’t see anything to not be proud of from here!

Benjamin Croce

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Conway, New Hampshire
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1LAH
Which rock sliders did you end up going with. I am trying to build on a budget also and can’t find a great pair that are affordable, they’re an expensive upgrade next to bumpers.

Jeep looks great, I don’t see anything to not be proud of from here!
The sliders I got from Amazon, they are the E-Autogrills brand. I've put them against some tree stumps and boulders in the woods and they are holding up really well. No chips in the coating yet. Thanks for the compliments too!

Willys_2014

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

AZ, USA
First Name
G
Last Name
B
Member #

Interior

I won't go into too much detail on everything since its still a massive work in progress. But first and foremost I will say that one of my biggest summertime projects is going to be a complete re-wire of my Jeep from top to bottom. I have a couple of much nicer fuse boxes and I've got some better routes to run wires now. Most of the stuff in the Jeep was done over the winter where I just ran the wire, fused it and left it instead of sleeving it and organizing it. That will change.

Here's a couple quick shots of the interior. I've got the Smittybilt GEAR seat covers. Mopar headliner with just some random patches I had laying around.

As for the nicer things in the interior, I've got a home made overhead console for running three radios plus my fourth mounted under the seat next to my siren amp. The radios I have are a Motorola Astro (For FD use), a Uniden 990SSB, a B-Tech 50X2 and a TYT TH-9800 Quad Band (which is the remote head over the heat controls).

View attachment 95810View attachment 95811

Switches are all OTRATTW. I've got three panels, one on the A post, then the Daystar panel in front of the shifter and a added one to the left of the steering wheel.

The green keypad one in the middle below the stereo is a Feneix 4200 Mini I use for controlling all my emergency lights, and the smaller red switch board next to the cupholders is the temporary siren controller that will be replaced soon.

The big wooden pieces of Advantec flooring are a temporary platform as I construct my final platform system. Its going to be a two piece design, first will be a fully encapsulating platform with the fender boxes just like the full Goosegear plate system. The second piece will be a quick removable set of draws that will go in the middle. Its still being worked on in my garage but for now, this is what I've got in the back of the Jeep.

I did also add Dynamat under the rear carpeting to help with some road noise. Did the trick, and no more exhaust drone.

View attachment 95812

At night I do have some LED strips on the underside of the rear glass.

View attachment 95813
Good stuff this.

Can you please share the details of your LED strips on the back window?

I really like that idea.