My M101a2

• HTML tutorial

CHILL907

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Peoria, AZ
Member #

When we bought our FJ Cruiser 4 years ago we didn't have any kids and overall space wasn't a big concern. After our oldest came along I new we had a choice to make; Either upgrade from the FJ to something bigger or, get a trailer. I was not at all interested in getting rid of my beloved rig and so, while deployed my wife bought this for me...
IMG_1743.JPG

First thing first, I need to figure out something for our RTT. I have no welding/fabrication skills so I got creative and repurposed a couple of the canopy bows to hold the RTT.
IMG_1846.JPG Probably wasn't the most secure way to mount an RTT and some may question my creativity, but it did what is was suppose to and has held up over the last few years.

On our second outing with the trailer, we experienced a failure of the surge brake and lunette. A friend of a friend did some welding for me and spliced in 2" receiver tubing, because when you want to fit in with the overland crowd its what you do lol!
IMG_2524.JPG
IMG_2525.JPG
IMG_2545.JPG

After 4 years, several awesome camping trips, and an epic road trip moving from Alaska to Arizona, it was time for some updates. First, with the arrival of our second child, we had out grown our RTT. After much discussion we decided that a bigger RTT was not in the budget and it was time to return to a ground tent. We sold the RTT and replaced it with a Kodiak Canvas Flex Bow tent. We take our first trip with it later this week!

Next on the list...tires! The old tires had worn out and it was time for replacements. I had always wanted to match the tires on the trailer to the FJ and felt like it was time to swap out the axle. I also pulled the bed off the frame, sanded and painted the frame, and replaced the taillights and wiring.
IMG_0878.JPG

The new axle is a Dexter 3500lb with electric brakes on a Toyota 6x5.5
IMG_0947.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG

I added some Spidertrax 1.25" spacers
IMG_0968.JPG

Its getting late here and time to call it quits for the night. Tomorrow, the tires go on, last minute once over, and then pull it off the jack stands!

Hey, nice job so far. I did the same thing to go behind our 4Runner. M101A2 I got from a guy in Anchorage, had Alumineyman in Wasilla build me the rack for the Tuff Stuff overland RTT, and used it to move to California. I'm looking to get matching hubs for ours as well so I can match the Yota 6x5.5, but I really like the parking brake feature of the military axle. I've been trying to look into getting a replacement hub and drum on the 6x5.5 that will fit the bearing/spindle size on the original axle. When you broke it down did you notice if it would work at all? Do you like the electric brakes any better than the surge brake? I'm looking forward to seeing what else you're going to do to it.

Attachments

Reactions: Steve Sothan

CHILL907

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Peoria, AZ
Member #

Hey, nice job so far. I did the same thing to go behind our 4Runner. M101A2 I got from a guy in Anchorage, had Alumineyman in Wasilla build me the rack for the Tuff Stuff overland RTT, and used it to move to California. I'm looking to get matching hubs for ours as well so I can match the Yota 6x5.5, but I really like the parking brake feature of the military axle. I've been trying to look into getting a replacement hub and drum on the 6x5.5 that will fit the bearing/spindle size on the original axle. When you broke it down did you notice if it would work at all? Do you like the electric brakes any better than the surge brake? I'm looking forward to seeing what else you're going to do to it.
I didn’t break the stock axle down to the spindle so I can’t answer your question. I ended up ordering the wrong backing plate, but dexter makes a brake kit that will work with the stock parking brake. I’ll probably upgrade to that in the future. I can’t give you a report on the electric brakes yet, I haven’t wired up the FJ for it. Like many of my projects I ran out of time and money. What I can say is, the new set up help shed quite a bit of weight and my FJ’s little V6 was sure appreciative of that. There other benefit was being able to match the FJ’s track width. More upgrades to trailer are coming but this will be a slow build.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

CHILL907

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Peoria, AZ
Member #

I’ve been very busy and have neglected this post, but sometime glorious did indeed happen to my trailer. After a visit with the owner of Turtleback Trailers I walked out with some great advise and everything I needed to wire my trailer for power!
IMG_2106.JPG
Next I made a call to Diamondback Truck Covers and a few weeks later this showed up
IMG_2145.JPG
After a couple days in the garage it was time for a road trip.
IMG_2150.JPG
I added some lighting to help out at night
IMG_2184.JPG
Some more shots of the trailer.
IMG_2375.JPG
IMG_2330.JPG
Trailer is done for now. Future plans are for solar and onboard water.

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

I’m a fan of your build brother. After I finish this deployment up I can’t wait to start on my own M101A2. How was it first with weight on the tongue? I’m using a 99 Silverado that I’ve converted into an overlander.

Which did you like better? The Pintle or the ball?

how much weight overall has your build gotten to?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m a fan of your build brother. After I finish this deployment up I can’t wait to start on my own M101A2. How was it first with weight on the tongue? I’m using a 99 Silverado that I’ve converted into an overlander.

Which did you like better? The Pintle or the ball?

how much weight overall has your build gotten to?
The OP hasn’t been active since 2018, so you might not get a response.

Reactions: Downs