Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

There's just something really great about those GMT 400 series trucks. A lot of things, really. Still my favorite design, even with that squared instrument panel and a radio that looked like a calculator.

The 5.7 was just such a solid engine. If only they could have paired it with a six or eight speed transmission it could have made for a more fuel efficient drivetrain.

Reasonable creature comfort, reasonable technology, but still a manual 4x4 shifter on the floor and wicked easy to work on. I had 3 GMT400's. One 1991 Cheyenne shortened pickup with a 305 motor and 3 speed transmission floor shift. Then two full size, 2 door blazers based off the same design. Those big Blazers, 1992-1994, do not get enough love.

I'll get another, someday.

itsko177

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bolingbrook, Illinois
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
OCallaghan
Member #

There's just something really great about those GMT 400 series trucks. A lot of things, really. Still my favorite design, even with that squared instrument panel and a radio that looked like a calculator.

The 5.7 was just such a solid engine. If only they could have paired it with a six or eight speed transmission it could have made for a more fuel efficient drivetrain.

Reasonable creature comfort, reasonable technology, but still a manual 4x4 shifter on the floor and wicked easy to work on. I had 3 GMT400's. One 1991 Cheyenne shortened pickup with a 305 motor and 3 speed transmission floor shift. Then two full size, 2 door blazers based off the same design. Those big Blazers, 1992-1994, do not get enough love.

I'll get another, someday.
I have a thing for these too, I have a 98 GMC regular cab short bed 2wd and a 95 Suburban k2500. My wife hates them, says they're old junkers... At least I have no payments and plenty of spare parts. When my son gets his license later this year I will let him drive the 98 GMC, i just hope he makes it last longer then my first car...

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I have a thing for these too, I have a 98 GMC regular cab short bed 2wd and a 95 Suburban k2500. My wife hates them, says they're old junkers... At least I have no payments and plenty of spare parts. When my son gets his license later this year I will let him drive the 98 GMC, i just hope he makes it last longer then my first car...
Good luck with that! My Tundra lasted a couple of months with my daughter.

itsko177

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bolingbrook, Illinois
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
OCallaghan
Member #

Great looking truck. Been thinking of a camper for my 93 or just doing a cap conversion. Did you have to do any suspension upgrades for the weight?
So far I haven't done anything to the suspension. When traveling I air the rear tires up to 60psi per the sidewall recommendation. I would like to add airbags just to give it a little better feel on the road. I like to travel off the beaten path so i might be looking for a Four Wheel Campers unit as they are lighter and have a smaller footprint. I really like the camper i have but it needs work and i don't know how it will hold up off road much longer. When the craziness is over i want to get out again in the backcountry and see how it goes!!!

Reactions: Ubiety

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Great choice to start with. I fell in love with my k2500 and they are great affordable platforms for going off road. Put up some of your future project/goals for the truck.