Rank II

Contributor II

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Stamper
Member #

I picked up some Paint Shield 5720 to help avoid pinstriping. It paints on with a roller and by all accounts simply peels off. You can indeed buff out pinstriping on clear coated panels, but good luck with plastic trim.
This is what I've used for a year now, I'm pretty happy with it. It takes three coats and it comes off much easier in sub 80 degrees, cooler the better so peal it off in the morning.

Reactions: KLTH19

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
Whew! Thank god Im not the only first-timer who turned back lol, that was me in genoa trail few months ago
We've all been there. Better safe than sorry, especially if you're out by yourself. In this game, half the fun is getting out to far away places. The other half is making sure we get back.

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
Those first scratches are the worst. Especially on a new truck. Don't let this experience discourage you though. In my opinion, the views you see are worth them. Depending on the trails you ride, unless you are out on a prairie or in the desert, which even then... scratches are going to occur. It's just part of it. Some tracks are wide enough, on highly traveled routes, where you can pass with ease. However, the further you venture out, the less traveled the roads become, and sometimes nature begins to reclaim the trail.
I've seen a lot of good suggestions on here if scratches are an issue. Might I suggest also, carrying a good machete or bow saw in your rig, in case you come across some big stuff. Also, there are some good videos on YouTube about trail etiquette, and tutorials for driving off road and dealing with different situations you may encounter. For me, I think scratch add character. Like was said before, there's a story behind them.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Ooof! Ok, so disclaimer: this was my first attempt at offroading. I have a 2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4, and it's currently my most prized possession. It's my baby.

The reason I got it is because I've been wanting to get into overlanding for some time now'''

... The bushes on each side closed in, their stiff branch tentacles reaching out to scratch my new truck's paintwork, screeching down the side of the car.
Sounds like a complete success to me. I took my new gladiator out after having it a couple of months. My first brand new truck. LIke you, decided to explore, the trail narrowed and bushes are all burnt from past fires and do not bend when passing by. Those first few feet I had a slight grimace, then I reminded myself, this is why I got this truck.

Reactions: TxJeeper75

Cav 3724

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Coronado California
First Name
Steve
Last Name
C
Oh the memories of the past... Remember, everything is unprecedented until the first time it happens, especially to you. If in doubt do not hesitate to un-ass the truck and walk your route. Off -roading is a game of geometry and inches. At least all it did was scratches.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

I purposely drove my 4Runner down an overgrown trail up in Big Bear within the first 200 miles just to get the scratches over with. I knew it was going to happen so may as well pull that band-aid off quickly. It also helps to have a white vehicle.

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

Did the same thing at Cow Mountain in Ukiah on my honeymoon.... accidentally turned onto a quad trail......

My wife and I fondly call the scratches 'pin striping'

Honestly tho - if your truck is too pretty to scratch up, probably spent too much on the paint LOL I feel you tho...

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
@lukewilson it sounds like you did exactly what this is all about -- you had a wonderful adventure! And there's a saying -- Roald Amundsen, I think it was -- "Adventure is just bad planning", which I've always taken to mean that the real adventure starts when things start going poorly.

In the motorbike world, we have a joke -- the first thing you should do with your shiny new adventure bike is knock it over in the dealer's parking lot. It's going to happen eventually, might as well get the anxiety of it out of the way.

Another option for scratches is magnetic covers, like these ones for the JK. Lots of folks like the temporary protection these offer, but they can be heavy.

My approach -- leave 'em be, and let the patina grow. Every scratch and dent is a story of the adventures of days past.