Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
So I got tired of having to teardown camp every time I wanted to drive somewhere. So I decided to build an Expo trailer.
I started off with a 4x6 V nose cargo trailer. I added my Roadshower, built some cross mounts and mounted my RTT.

00Y0Y_cA0WUraCf4J_1200x900.jpg

20180516_151945_001.jpg

IMG_20180515_172441_713.jpg
Other side before mounting tent. Roadshower, awning and cross bars mounted.

IMG_20180516_152158_162.jpg
And seeing how I have to work this weekend and miss Expo West, I'll camp in the front yard with the kids.

Last edited:

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
Ordered a new six lug axle and leveling jacks. Planning my battery, lights and wiring. Also a hitch extension along with a future Max Coupler.

Michael Houston

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

St. Marys, WV
Member #

Nice job. I would love to build something like that for the exact same reason. keep the fridge on the vehicle so when I'm out and about I would still have my cold pop.

Reactions: Phessor

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
20180628_084714.jpg

Got a little camping done this week with my two youngest. All in all it was a great trip. One of my take away observations was that the trailer puts the tent a little to high, not extreme, but more than I would have liked.

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
I ordered a Tepui telescoping ladder today from Box Rocket on the Tacoma World forums. I hope this helps with my future camping needs.

Reactions: Michael Houston

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
WOW! I am truly amazed, had no idea you can do that.......So I got a ton of questions, how stable is that tent when you all are in it? How long to set up the tent or pack it up? How is towing? What is your weight at tongue?

Again I am wowed dude, I would love to build one of those......Even if over a period of time, one step at a time. wow.

Thank you so much for this build thread. I am going to price 4x6's now....

Jim

Reactions: Michael Houston

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
WOW! I am truly amazed, had no idea you can do that.......So I got a ton of questions, how stable is that tent when you all are in it?
I haven't installed the rear two stabilizer jacks yet, but it is pretty stable as is. Yes it moves a little, but nothing that made me feel uneasy.

How long to set up the tent or pack it up?
Setup takes about five minutes and teardown takes about 15 minutes.

How is towing?
The trailer tracks very nice, my little 3.4 could tell it was back there though, especially on the hills.

What is your weight at tongue?
I'm not sure, I can lift it up with quite a bit of effort when needed.

Again I am wowed dude, I would love to build one of those......Even if over a period of time, one step at a time. wow.

Thank you so much for this build thread. I am going to price 4x6's now....

Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim SoG

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Those cargo trailers make a great storage/camping trailer. I have a friend who carries his ate inside the trailer and then once he gets to the campsite it turns into his person camping trailer with shower and fold down bed.

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
Those cargo trailers make a great storage/camping trailer. I have a friend who carries his ate inside the trailer and then once he gets to the campsite it turns into his person camping trailer with shower and fold down bed.
I like that I can keep ALL of my camping gear in one place with this trailer.

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
Man that would be great.....I am working on getting a trailer now, maybe a week or 2......

What RTT did you get?

Jim
I went with the Smittybilt Overland XL, I like the size.

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
I found myself in a bad spot on my last camping trip. I had replaced my 4:10 gears with 4:88 gears and had not swapped out the front differential at the time. I ended up getting stuck and jack knifed my trailer which received a nice hole from my rear bumper. So to fix the problem, I swapped out my front differential and extended my tongue and put a Max Coupler on it.

IMG_20180828_114340_867.jpg 20180828_104902.jpg 20180828_104915.jpg

Last edited: