Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
So I bought the lowes ((carry all) trailer ,
Flipped the axle and installed a jack
Does anyone have a source for wheels with more offset? ( need them to stick out away from the frame)
I want to put 15” rims and tires on before I install the rtt and modify the ladder
I’ll update pics tonight
You could go with spacers, or find a wheel with the offset you desire. I went with a new axle on mine, but I wanted six lug hubs as well so it worked out for me.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I chose the wheels I wanted first, then measured and chose the axle length based on those wheels. Of course, mine is a truck bed trailer and I was already replacing the original truck axle.

Reactions: Billiebob

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
I’m hoping to get some wheels that will fit
I’m not looking to match up with my truck just simple 15” trailer wheels
I will replace the fenders
The 2000lb axle that’s on it will be fine

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
63F66897-6F9E-4F95-B0B2-2149CCDECBE8.jpeg DBA456F6-47D1-46A9-A3C9-A32E7BF30161.jpeg 63F66897-6F9E-4F95-B0B2-2149CCDECBE8.jpeg
Got the fenders removed and cut the channel at the rear, I’m going to use the slide in tailgate to fabricate a swinging gate hinged on the drivers side
I looked at some wheels today at Tractor Supply and they have some narrow 15” rims that look like they will fit but Fleet Farm has some on sale for $40 less each so I’m going to look at them tomorrow
I’m going to get properly sized fenders and box it out with treated plywood then make a rtt rack with the uni strut that I already have
Someday I may extend the tongue and get a swiveling hitch but I’m trying to get it operational by 7-27

Reactions: Phessor

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
So it sounds like the biggest fear was the fact that your wife was not comfortable with the style of ladder that your rtt uses for egress. Finding the style of ladder that makes her feel comfortable climbing is the challenge that you are facing. I am not a fan of that collapsible ladder and do prefer the more standard style of ladder individual rungs vs a stack of them. Lighting at night shining on the rungs helps as does proper shoes. My wife loves flip flops until she slid off of the back of our truck one day while helping me put the camper top down. Now she always wears a lace up shoe.

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
She (long time girlfriend Kelly ) is uncomfortable with the height of the rtt on a bed rack as well as the ladder
I’m going to fit a fixed step ladder non collapsing after I get the final height established
The lights are a great idea thanks

Reactions: Graeman

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
1E5D4FB3-AE30-4640-A89C-2F546F8B2B2E.jpeg F6B8B4D5-4BC8-423B-B7CD-5F70CBD3B9E6.jpeg 192C963C-346B-4801-9FA1-65893452F472.jpeg Making good progress
The pics aren’t in order but here’s what I did
Axle flip,converted to swing open tailgate,15” wheels,new fenders,and plywood inside.
I’m not sure how I’m going to fasten the plywood yet maybe pocket screws and bolts through the frame
We are going camping next weekend so I’m trying to get it ready by Friday
I’m going to install the RTT the same way I had it on the other trailer with simple uninstrut cross bars
That will replace the structural integrity of the rear that I lost by converting the tail gate.

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
I’m hoping to get some wheels that will fit
I’m not looking to match up with my truck just simple 15” trailer wheels
I will replace the fenders
The 2000lb axle that’s on it will be fine
I went with a six lug axle because I had a bunch of stock Tacoma wheels and they had good tread on the tires, 31x10.50x15's. That and I wanted to replace the tiny 14" wheels that were on my trailer.

My trailer build, still in progress. https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/my-expo-trailer-build.15000/

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
View attachment 62397 View attachment 62395 View attachment 62396 Making good progress
The pics aren’t in order but here’s what I did
Axle flip,converted to swing open tailgate,15” wheels,new fenders,and plywood inside.
I’m not sure how I’m going to fasten the plywood yet maybe pocket screws and bolts through the frame
We are going camping next weekend so I’m trying to get it ready by Friday
I’m going to install the RTT the same way I had it on the other trailer with simple uninstrut cross bars
That will replace the structural integrity of the rear that I lost by converting the tail gate.
Looking good!

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
Thanks
Got the RTT mounted yesterday and the plywood secured (mostly) should be good enough for this weekend.
I’m going to modify the step ladder and try to come up with a mount for my 20lb propane tank tomorrow
Will get pics tomorrow

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
Good job on the camping trailer. I need to go camping this weekend as well.

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
Got the extended tongue done and Moto hauler mounted
94B83147-5370-481C-948E-E03FB34E05B7.jpegA38E7056-6B6D-41AC-8220-D24430312C35.jpeg
Seems very solid,less wobble than when mounted in the receiver hitch , and it worked perfectly that way
I made it a simple bolt on affair so I can easily reconfigure back to hitch mount

Reactions: Wallygator

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Got the extended tongue done and Moto hauler mounted
View attachment 110792View attachment 110793
Seems very solid,less wobble than when mounted in the receiver hitch , and it worked perfectly that way
I made it a simple bolt on affair so I can easily reconfigure back to hitch mount
very cool. at first I thought a lightweight landscape trailer ???
Then I saw the plywood box, looks so cool contrasted on the expanded metal.
And a REAL ladder fitted. Another very cool piece.
Following this build, Great ideas.

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

Voice of experience not loud yelling or critizing but the tongue you may find to be just a bit too long you don’t want to exceed 1/2 the trailer length or 3/4 of the width, reason being when you start towing yes it toes very nicely but off road it will go squirrel on you it will hang up on overlaps rocks that don’t move and when you drop off it may or may not hang you out and come back around on you give it a try and let me know what happens good looking rig though have fun

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
Thanks Rubiconcruiser for the thoughts, I really don't go on much more than forest service roads in Mn and Wi. No Rubicon around here! I tried to err on the side of too long, I can always shorten it if needed. After I do some testing, I may be able to shorten it by a foot, The coupler is a bolt on for that reason.
I don't plan on using the Moto hauler on anything too rough, it's easy to unbolt.
I appreciate the feedback, it's just trial and error at this point.