My DIY recovery storage

• HTML tutorial

barg

Rank 0

Traveler I

The offroad storage area I made a few months ago. Includes 3/8 chains, two tow straps, a hi-lift jack with the wheel attachment, offroad base, and winch kit, a krazy beaver shovel, 50 feet of synthetic winch line, a snatch block, 1.75 gallon rotopax, and a few tools. Would love to get a superwinch 4000lb Winch2go in the near future to keep as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I see the fixed blade you have in there, and know it well. Trash it. It's not a full tang, and what tang there is is badly epoxied into the handle. It's straight up dangerous. The company is called United Cutlery and it's the kind of thing you find in a BudK catalog :-(

You're better off with my personal fave, a SOG, or a RAT fixed blade.

I think the remnants of my old one are out by the woodpile Ill try to get a pic of it.

Oh, and that's really an awesome setup, I really like the backseat board.

Last edited:

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Pretty cool idea. Might have to fabricate something for the back of my Wrangler. Space is a premium.

Cpl J

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
Cool, I am making a slide out system for my XJ

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@barg I just realized that you have a Murderspork! Is it really thicker and heavier duty than if I went to a gardens store and bought a good quality spade? I'm intrigued, but skeptical.

Convince me,
Steve

Reactions: Cpl J

Cpl J

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
@barg I just realized that you have a Murderspork! Is it really thicker and heavier duty than if I went to a gardens store and bought a good quality spade? I'm intrigued, but skeptical.

Convince me,
Steve
I was wondering the same thing. Kinda spendy.

barg

Rank 0

Traveler I

@maktruk I actually don't use the knife itself, it was just really cheap and I liked that it came with the fishing line, snare, snakebite kit, and other survival gear. I keep a camillus machete and an anza knife in it as well

Cpl J

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
@kent and @Steve I got it as a Christmas gift and only have used it once but it worked really well. It works a lot better than the old shovel I had when it comes to cutting through roots and thicker material
That is always a plus..

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

Very nice design. My concern, and I've been there, is when the rear of the vehicle is in the ditch and the rear access can't be opened. I've been in situations where I designed equipment storage for transport and not access when my jeep is on it's side or doors can't be opened. An example, I moved my winch solenoid pack under the hood, the jeep was on it's side, ever try to open your hood after you crawl out your window. Initially it didn't go well, luckily I travel with great people. Just my 2 cents, Ron

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Very clean design! I take it you don't ever carry much cargo in there, eh? Haha.

Very nice design. My concern, and I've been there, is when the rear of the vehicle is in the ditch and the rear access can't be opened. I've been in situations where I designed equipment storage for transport and not access when my jeep is on it's side or doors can't be opened. An example, I moved my winch solenoid pack under the hood, the jeep was on it's side, ever try to open your hood after you crawl out your window. Initially it didn't go well, luckily I travel with great people. Just my 2 cents, Ron
Based on how all the stuff again st the back seat appears held in solely by gravity, I don't imagine he is ecpective too many situations where he might roll his vehicle :P . But, it also looks like he could still pretty easily access it from the top, if he had to.

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

Again I like the design, no ill will intended. But, I didn't start out on my trip saying "I think I'll roll my jeep today". A rock shifted and we were off and rolling, Ron

Reactions: roninrunner
S

SubeeBen

582B3CB1-2355-4E76-91A3-74CC3C0046E1.jpeg 7A7C6C9B-1E42-434B-8E0D-9167B12823BE.jpeg Wow nice looking setup ! Just completed mine not as in depth but I can pack everything I need or think I need & still have room.

Reactions: Gregory Youngblood