My Cherokee XJ is stuck in four wheel drive

• HTML tutorial

shawninthelawn

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Buda, Texas
Member #

My friends and I were running my Jeep in Four lo going up a tall hill, and when we went to shift back into all time 4wd my shifter jammed. I had the Jeep in neutral and managed to force the lever into full time, but now when I try to shift back into 2wd the Jeep goes into part time four wheel drive. Does anyone have any idea how this could be fixed?

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

My friends and I were running my Jeep in Four lo going up a tall hill, and when we went to shift back into all time 4wd my shifter jammed. I had the Jeep in neutral and managed to force the lever into full time, but now when I try to shift back into 2wd the Jeep goes into part time four wheel drive. Does anyone have any idea how this could be fixed?
What year is it?

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Going by the description it sounds like a 242 transfer case. When was the last time the flu is was changed. Have you looked at the linkage? The bushings get worn out and bind. You can remove the cable and manually shift it and determine if it's internal linkage or the shifter cable binding.

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

I would check the following
1. Measure tire diameter and if the front to rear is different adjust the pressures until you can match the diameter front axle to rear.
2. Check fluid level in transfer case.
3. Check selector linkage and adjust.

Also sometimes I find putting into 2WD or 4WD full time then a quick back and forth drive and reverse with a sharp prod of the pedal so the jeep moves about 4-5 ft in each direction helps.

Make sure the front wheels are facing perfectly straight ahead.

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lindenwood

shawninthelawn

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Buda, Texas
Member #

I would check the following
1. Measure tire diameter and if the front to rear is different adjust the pressures until you can match the diameter front axle to rear.
2. Check fluid level in transfer case.
3. Check selector linkage and adjust.

Also sometimes I find putting into 2WD or 4WD full time then a quick back and forth drive and reverse with a sharp prod of the pedal so the jeep moves about 4-5 ft in each direction helps.

Make sure the front wheels are facing perfectly straight ahead.

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk
I've tried the reverse trick problem is my 2wd doesn't work at all, I can only get it to go into 4part time, 4 full time and neutral

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk