Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
This build was delayed a couple of years. I bought basically this same truck in 2017 (2018 model), however, it ended up being a lemon and over almost a year in the shop Chrysler bought it back. While this was happening I bought a super cool JK with an Ursa minor, on 37's, long arms, etc. It was SUPER capable offroad, had ALL the amenities...BUT was not super fun getting to the dirt. I live in So Cal currently and I have to drive 3 hours to get to dirt without a horde of people...and really, I like to get WAY AWAY from LA area. I ride MTBs and ADV motos and I like to ride new stuff. So...I have no problem putting in some road miles to get to rad, new trails and areas. That is really my thing..new, cool stuff to see.

So, flash forward a bit, I find the right deal on a 2019 Ram 3500. Had all the bells and whistles I wanted, yes I want to spoil myself with gadgets that are probably gonna break, but damnit I work hard and I want it.I didn't wait long to get the build going. Within a month I sent the truck to Carli to be the prototype for the 5th Gen Carli kits. They knew most of their stuff was gonna work just fine, but Ram did make some changes that needed to be addressed and verified. So, Carli installed a 2.5 pintop kit with all the goodies, minus the rear springs. I still didn't know what I was gonna do in the bed for my sleep/live/haul demends.

CJC Offroad are the ones that hooked me up with Carli. CJC have been really helpful to me over the years. They are super knowledgeable and helpful. They had Raceline make a custom offset wheel for Rams and I decided that would be the perfect wheel for what I wanted to do. I needed to have 5 wheels and a 37 will not fit in the stock location so I contacted Rigd to buy one of their Ultra Swing Out tire carriers. These carriers are SUPER beefy, with virtually no bounce or shake...remember the wheel alone is 120ish pounds. I opted for the table too...I had one on my JK and really liked it. The Rigd also allows me to run my 1Up bike carrier. On the front, I picked a Chassis Unlimited winch bumper. I knew I was gonna want a winch bumper and I wanted one that gave me maximum clearance in front of the wheels but didn't stick out too much from the front of the truck. This bumper ticked all the boxes pus I could run a 12k winch. Ultimately I would like a 16k winch but the bumpers that fit a 16k were just too big for my liking. I have used snatch blocks and I think I will not have issues with the 12k. I chose a Smittybilt winch for various reasons...size was a big part of that. There are as many opinions about winches as there are about what oil to run. I also really like the Factor55 closed system a lot and I use quite a bit of their goodies.

For now...and likely forever...I decided on an FWC Hawk with a rollover couch. I hindsight I would get the side dinette...BUT, I found my Hawk used (used for 5 nights), pretty close to home and at a great deal. I actually prefer the slide-in over the flatbed...I know I am giving up a little storage space, but that might be temporary as I am contemplating a flatbed with jokey boxes. I would have WAY more storage than a flatbed Hawk at that point. I need storage for offroad gear, not for living space.

The truck, besides suspension and wheels is totally stock...plenty of lovely diesel power, so need to mess with that...while it's under warranty. However, I have added some electronic goodies...some for safety some for fun and some to control systems.

The safety goody is my Yaesu FT400 radio. I finally decided to get my HAM license and get a mobile radio. The test was easier than I thought, but I did buy a prep course to help me out. I was working 80 hour weeks at the time I decided to get my license and I know I am not a good self-motivator. I mounted the head unit of the radio in the overhead sunglass holder. I wanted it to be stealthy but still be easy to reach. I also went with a shorty antenna. When I go to the wide-open desert I run a longer antenna...but for the city and for the canyons I run the shorter antenna most of the time.

The fun goodies include the SwitchPro mounted to a 67Designs mount and Baja Designs lights. I wanted some offroad lights for the obvious reasons...but I didn't need to light up the world. This is not race or chase truck, I am not bombing across the desert. So, I wanted lights to illuminate my peripherals, cut dust (living in SoCal we play in the dez a lot), cut fog and snow (common destinations for me) and be complementary to the aesthetics of the truck. I also run a Samsung table for nav, music, monitoring various systems, etc. I made a temporary mount using a Ram clamp...but will soon be mounted to a Ram rail. The tablet is super easy to use offroad, easy to see to for navigation...it is just a no brainer in my mind. I will likely add a cell booster of some sort, but as of yet I have not felt the need for it...so it is on the back burner.

For system control, I run Victron battery monitors, solar controllers and chargers (soon). I like the fact that I can view everything on an app on my tablet...which is always mounted in the truck when moving. I upgraded the FWC batteries to 205ah AGM batteries and I put the Victron shunt in at that time. Now I can monitor my usage and battery condition. I will likely upgrade to lithium batteries, but my AGMs are so new I just don't feel the need quite yet. I just added 350w of Renogy solar panels to the roof, so the Victron MPPT was added to control those electrons. Again, all via Bluetooth I can see what is going in and out of the batteries. It's pretty amazing really how simple it is.

Rounding out the inside of the truck is the Goosegear seat delete and drawer system. Brian at Goosegear used my truck to design and build the system for the Rams and it was quite a bit of work. I have been around systems being installed, but to take a new truck, tear it apart, and build a system from scratch takes a lot of time and effort. The end results on all Goosegear products reflect all that time and effort. This seat delete and drawer is a work of art. It is super bomber, fits the truck like a glove, it actually looks like the factory built it...super cool product. I also such the ARB twin compressor under the passenger front seat.

I am really stoked on the truck and how it is coming along. I am still working out some details and evolving the build, but it is currently super capable, reliable and super fun to go out and play with. I owe a big thanks to WiredbyGreg for all the wiring work, he is a master of 12v stuff and a great wealth of offroad knowledge. I am fortunate to have some great friends that helped along the way.20191129_154655.jpg20191208_101144.jpg20200110_152212.jpg20200111_100929.jpg20200207_155934.jpg20201121_144105.jpg20210114_164836.jpg20201219_143741.jpg20210113_161710.jpg

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Absolutely awesome build. Love it, I am partial though. You have a great rig there. How do you like the Carli lift? Does it eliminate rub issues with 37s?

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
Absolutely awesome build. Love it, I am partial though. You have a great rig there. How do you like the Carli lift? Does it eliminate rub issues with 37s?
Thanks, it has been a BLAST to put together the stuff I have been planning for a couple of years.

Well...I assume you are referring to rubbing. I only get a very slight rub at full lock and full compression. Full lock and full compression is something that should never happen as it is bad for the suspension in general so I avoid it at all costs. Otherwise I love the Carli components. Prior to the FWC I could mob everything without a care in the world. Now with the added weight of the camper and the bumper maybe, I need to revalve the shocks and I still need to get the rear springs sorted out. If I build a flatbed I'll need to add a tad more spring...so I am waiting till I make up my mind. The Carli control arms and torsion bar are second to none as far as design and quality goes.

jwalla

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Dakotas

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Very nice. I have been eyeballing carli suspension. Did you do the full system? Sway bars, shocks etc just minus the rear springs for the hauling?

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
Very nice. I have been eyeballing carli suspension. Did you do the full system? Sway bars, shocks etc just minus the rear springs for the hauling?
Everything minus the rear springs...and I didn't change those YET only because I don't know what I am going to end up with weight wise in the back. My stock springs sagged a couple of inches when I added the camper and swing out. I the spring rate is still too high, so I am thinking a softer spring that is recurved to add a little height. I don't run a rear sway bar at all. I'm not sure Carli makes one, but they took mine off and I left it that way.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Everything minus the rear springs...and I didn't change those YET only because I don't know what I am going to end up with weight wise in the back. My stock springs sagged a couple of inches when I added the camper and swing out. I the spring rate is still too high, so I am thinking a softer spring that is recurved to add a little height. I don't run a rear sway bar at all. I'm not sure Carli makes one, but they took mine off and I left it that way.
Huh, thats interesting about the rear sway. Hows it feel with the camper on the road? Would be great offroad, just not sure about the rest of the time....

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
Huh, thats interesting about the rear sway. Hows it feel with the camper on the road? Would be great offroad, just not sure about the rest of the time....
Works great...it is just ever so slightly more sway than without. In other words, it leans a tad when pushing it into offramps, 2 lane road corners, etc but ONLY in the initial part of the turn. It is not unnerving by any stretch. My JK was all over the road with even the slightest breeze. If I was gonna do a LONG road trip with mellow dirt roads I might consider putting it back on, but I doubt I would even then to be honest. Disconnect yours for a bit and see what you think.

jwalla

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Dakotas

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I would be interested in how it performed without the weight in the rear. Do you have the high output engine?

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
I would be interested in how it performed without the weight in the rear. Do you have the high output engine?
Nope...I had the HO on my 2018 and it shifted pretty rough unless loaded or towing. The RFE is a better trans for daily and not towing driving. I didn't need the extra few ft lbs either. The truck doesn't even know the camper is there...minus a loss in mpg...but that is a combo of wider/larger tires, lift. and aero loss of the camper.

Last edited:

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

This build was delayed a couple of years. I bought basically this same truck in 2017 (2018 model), however, it ended up being a lemon and over almost a year in the shop Chrysler bought it back. While this was happening I bought a super cool JK with an Ursa minor, on 37's, long arms, etc. It was SUPER capable offroad, had ALL the amenities...BUT was not super fun getting to the dirt. I live in So Cal currently and I have to drive 3 hours to get to dirt without a horde of people...and really, I like to get WAY AWAY from LA area. I ride MTBs and ADV motos and I like to ride new stuff. So...I have no problem putting in some road miles to get to rad, new trails and areas. That is really my thing..new, cool stuff to see.

So, flash forward a bit, I find the right deal on a 2019 Ram 3500. Had all the bells and whistles I wanted, yes I want to spoil myself with gadgets that are probably gonna break, but damnit I work hard and I want it.I didn't wait long to get the build going. Within a month I sent the truck to Carli to be the prototype for the 5th Gen Carli kits. They knew most of their stuff was gonna work just fine, but Ram did make some changes that needed to be addressed and verified. So, Carli installed a 2.5 pintop kit with all the goodies, minus the rear springs. I still didn't know what I was gonna do in the bed for my sleep/live/haul demends.

CJC Offroad are the ones that hooked me up with Carli. CJC have been really helpful to me over the years. They are super knowledgeable and helpful. They had Raceline make a custom offset wheel for Rams and I decided that would be the perfect wheel for what I wanted to do. I needed to have 5 wheels and a 37 will not fit in the stock location so I contacted Rigd to buy one of their Ultra Swing Out tire carriers. These carriers are SUPER beefy, with virtually no bounce or shake...remember the wheel alone is 120ish pounds. I opted for the table too...I had one on my JK and really liked it. The Rigd also allows me to run my 1Up bike carrier. On the front, I picked a Chassis Unlimited winch bumper. I knew I was gonna want a winch bumper and I wanted one that gave me maximum clearance in front of the wheels but didn't stick out too much from the front of the truck. This bumper ticked all the boxes pus I could run a 12k winch. Ultimately I would like a 16k winch but the bumpers that fit a 16k were just too big for my liking. I have used snatch blocks and I think I will not have issues with the 12k. I chose a Smittybilt winch for various reasons...size was a big part of that. There are as many opinions about winches as there are about what oil to run. I also really like the Factor55 closed system a lot and I use quite a bit of their goodies.

For now...and likely forever...I decided on an FWC Hawk with a rollover couch. I hindsight I would get the side dinette...BUT, I found my Hawk used (used for 5 nights), pretty close to home and at a great deal. I actually prefer the slide-in over the flatbed...I know I am giving up a little storage space, but that might be temporary as I am contemplating a flatbed with jokey boxes. I would have WAY more storage than a flatbed Hawk at that point. I need storage for offroad gear, not for living space.

The truck, besides suspension and wheels is totally stock...plenty of lovely diesel power, so need to mess with that...while it's under warranty. However, I have added some electronic goodies...some for safety some for fun and some to control systems.

The safety goody is my Yaesu FT400 radio. I finally decided to get my HAM license and get a mobile radio. The test was easier than I thought, but I did buy a prep course to help me out. I was working 80 hour weeks at the time I decided to get my license and I know I am not a good self-motivator. I mounted the head unit of the radio in the overhead sunglass holder. I wanted it to be stealthy but still be easy to reach. I also went with a shorty antenna. When I go to the wide-open desert I run a longer antenna...but for the city and for the canyons I run the shorter antenna most of the time.

The fun goodies include the SwitchPro mounted to a 67Designs mount and Baja Designs lights. I wanted some offroad lights for the obvious reasons...but I didn't need to light up the world. This is not race or chase truck, I am not bombing across the desert. So, I wanted lights to illuminate my peripherals, cut dust (living in SoCal we play in the dez a lot), cut fog and snow (common destinations for me) and be complementary to the aesthetics of the truck. I also run a Samsung table for nav, music, monitoring various systems, etc. I made a temporary mount using a Ram clamp...but will soon be mounted to a Ram rail. The tablet is super easy to use offroad, easy to see to for navigation...it is just a no brainer in my mind. I will likely add a cell booster of some sort, but as of yet I have not felt the need for it...so it is on the back burner.

For system control, I run Victron battery monitors, solar controllers and chargers (soon). I like the fact that I can view everything on an app on my tablet...which is always mounted in the truck when moving. I upgraded the FWC batteries to 205ah AGM batteries and I put the Victron shunt in at that time. Now I can monitor my usage and battery condition. I will likely upgrade to lithium batteries, but my AGMs are so new I just don't feel the need quite yet. I just added 350w of Renogy solar panels to the roof, so the Victron MPPT was added to control those electrons. Again, all via Bluetooth I can see what is going in and out of the batteries. It's pretty amazing really how simple it is.

Rounding out the inside of the truck is the Goosegear seat delete and drawer system. Brian at Goosegear used my truck to design and build the system for the Rams and it was quite a bit of work. I have been around systems being installed, but to take a new truck, tear it apart, and build a system from scratch takes a lot of time and effort. The end results on all Goosegear products reflect all that time and effort. This seat delete and drawer is a work of art. It is super bomber, fits the truck like a glove, it actually looks like the factory built it...super cool product. I also such the ARB twin compressor under the passenger front seat.

I am really stoked on the truck and how it is coming along. I am still working out some details and evolving the build, but it is currently super capable, reliable and super fun to go out and play with. I owe a big thanks to WiredbyGreg for all the wiring work, he is a master of 12v stuff and a great wealth of offroad knowledge. I am fortunate to have some great friends that helped along the way.View attachment 184061View attachment 184062View attachment 184063View attachment 184064View attachment 184065View attachment 184066View attachment 184067View attachment 184068View attachment 184069
I'm just as Stoked as you are about this build, love the attention to detail and most of all the advanced planning that took place here. I'm in year 5 of my CJ Resto, a never ending build that might take me a few more years until I get it just right. For my Ram I broke out the 'Chip Foose Etch A Sketch' over the last year and I have canvased the market for every possible configuration option available that would fit my needs just right. From some over the top insane configuration options to a more conservative approach of breaking out the build over the next few years.
I guess for me the key is staying committed and locked in, with year one in the books I found myself looking at a new Power Wagon. No worries, I stayed the course and for year two I will either go with AEV's 4inch Lift, Icon or Carli's 2.5, and I'll toss in a few more mods.
Love the Hawk, unfortunately I had to keep my 3 overgrown pups in mind.

Can't wait to see more.

Best regards from UpState NY

Reactions: CatButt