Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Looking good and it was good fun meeting up with you.
So now we are back on the road again, the both of us.
When we are back from Morocco we will have some good fund driving around.

See you soon. Wave us gooby on the third in Domburg.

Reactions: Arailt

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

So got the rig past 150.000 KM now, driven around 3000 KM in it since I got it =)
The second it ticked over to 150.000 the T-belt light came on.. No idea why it did that but we'll find out on monday :P

Next wednesday my new radio will be installed, can't wait!
20170826_130124.jpg

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@[DO]Ron

Likely just hit the interval. Not sure what engine you've got in her but various Toy's I've delt with have intervals ranging from 60,000 miles to 100,000 miles (If I'm doing the math correctly you've just rolled about 93,000 miles so the lite is telling you to get-er-done on the next maint. Check with your owners manual, and if concerned pull the codes with a code reader. Do autoparts stores near you loan code readers, or offer to pull codes for free, as they do around here?

Boort

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Oh i'll get that done tomorrow.. work on the it dept for Toyota Netherlands ;) so getting the code reset won't cost me anything.

As far as i know the maintenance intervals are 20k KM and it got a service 3k KM ago when i got the Cruiser. It had been pretty much still for a year as it was getting sold so it got a good service.

We'll see tomorrow if I can get it reset and see what it was.

Sent from my SM-G903F using OB Talk mobile app

bassfishindoc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Middle TN
Member #

Is that a gas or diesel cruiser? Not sure what is available in the Netherlands. If you guys have left hand drive diesel land cruisers, may be a potential import source. In the states, if we want a diesel cruiser, we have to import one that is at least 25 years old. Most of the diesel imports, however, come from right hand drive countries (suck as Japan). Not a deal breaker, but would definitely be odd to drive on the right side of a car.

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

We got diesel and gas, but diesel is way more common as it is the best option for businesses and people that drive a lot, almost no gas trucks around here..

A 120 series is way newer then 25 years old though.. I guess you would be looking at a 70 series.. because even a 90 series Land Cruiser is at it's oldest a 22 year old vehicle..

bassfishindoc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Middle TN
Member #

Yes, there is a land cruiser importer who has 60, 70 and 80 series land cruisers, primarily from Japan (steering wheel on the right). Maybe in 3 years I will be able to get a 90 series from the Netherlands with the steering wheel on the left side. We will see. I currently operate out of a gas powered Jeep Cherokee. Congrats on your vehicle, hope it performs awesome! (It should, its a Toyota).

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Took me dreaming for over 4 years, but after the messy aftermath of a broken marriage it finally happened. I bought myself a Land Cruiser!

It is a 2007 120 series VX model with almost 150.000 KM on her (that’s about 93k miles)

Got heaps of plans for the rig, but as all my money sunk into the mortgage for the house and buying the Cruiser things will go slowly, yet I wanted to share the first pics with everybody because I’m stoked!

She came with the push bar and Hella lights, the windows where already tinted as well so those things I don’t have to change. Also a good set of BFG KO’s are mounted so that is another box ticked. Secured the spare tire on the rear door with 3 wheel locks so nobody steals my spare, so that is basically the first upgrade I guess.

Probably the first real big upgrade will be a 2 din head unit to replace the stock head unit so I can add Bluetooth and a reversing camera. While a 120 series isn’t huge it is certainly bigger then my Yaris was, and the Netherlands isn’t to kind to larger vehicles :p so I’m going to make it easy on myself and get a reversing camera as soon as I can afford one.

View attachment 25524 View attachment 25526 View attachment 25528 View attachment 25529 View attachment 25530
Hei

Glad to find someone who is currently working on Land Cruiser upgrade project.

I have plans to begin such a project in the near future.
Just published an OB forum article on my plans:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/sponsors-for-arctic-trucks-at44-build-project.9242

I take my vehicles to Iceland, Faroe Islands, around Norway, etc. and place them under quite a lot of stress.
Currently have Hilux Arctic Trucks AT37 (see: www.ice2017.no)

I am looking to build a Land Cruiser V8, only few years old, low km, good condition, and work on it to make an AT44 (Arctic Trucks 44inch)
Ambitious.......but not impossible
Saving for the seed money to get started.

I will keep an eye on your project thread from now on.
Looking forward to seeing how you solve problems and watching the improvements.

Good luck.....
Maybe we will see you up here in Norway with the car sometime in the future.

Cheers
Neil :)

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Yes, there is a land cruiser importer who has 60, 70 and 80 series land cruisers, primarily from Japan (steering wheel on the right). Maybe in 3 years I will be able to get a 90 series from the Netherlands with the steering wheel on the left side. We will see. I currently operate out of a gas powered Jeep Cherokee. Congrats on your vehicle, hope it performs awesome! (It should, its a Toyota).
Oh it performs awesome! Today I checked out the last time the timing belt was replaced and luckily it is already been done a few years ago! (saves me a ton of cash). So tomorrow the warning light is reset and that is about it =) PS, most of europe got the left side steering wheel and got diesel Cruisers, only those UK people are still confused ;)

Hei

Glad to find someone who is currently working on Land Cruiser upgrade project.

I have plans to begin such a project in the near future.
Just published an OB forum article on my plans:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/sponsors-for-arctic-trucks-at44-build-project.9242

I take my vehicles to Iceland, Faroe Islands, around Norway, etc. and place them under quite a lot of stress.
Currently have Hilux Arctic Trucks AT37 (see: www.ice2017.no)

I am looking to build a Land Cruiser V8, only few years old, low km, good condition, and work on it to make an AT44 (Arctic Trucks 44inch)
Ambitious.......but not impossible
Saving for the seed money to get started.

I will keep an eye on your project thread from now on.
Looking forward to seeing how you solve problems and watching the improvements.

Good luck.....
Maybe we will see you up here in Norway with the car sometime in the future.

Cheers
Thanks man! and yea I plan on travel up north to visit Norway / Sweden / Finland some time in the future, amazing scenery up there =) V8's (200 series) are pretty damn cool as well, just a little to costly for me though :P I'll stick with my 120 :)
Saw your atric trucks in a few pictures over the forums already, looking really cool!

Reactions: Neil Q Smith

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Oh it performs awesome! Today I checked out the last time the timing belt was replaced and luckily it is already been done a few years ago! (saves me a ton of cash). So tomorrow the warning light is reset and that is about it =) PS, most of europe got the left side steering wheel and got diesel Cruisers, only those UK people are still confused ;)

Thanks man! and yea I plan on travel up north to visit Norway / Sweden / Finland some time in the future, amazing scenery up there =) V8's (200 series) are pretty damn cool as well, just a little to costly for me though :P I'll stick with my 120 :)
Saw your atric trucks in a few pictures over the forums already, looking really cool!
Cool :)

Look forward meeting up when you come north to Norway.

Maybe I will be working on my Land Cruiser V8 project by that time....

Cheers

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

So.. this happened. It seems the Land Cruiser 120 has a build in amplifier under the driver seat.. so getting a new after market radio in isn't really that easy.

The wiring harnas for the new radio has to be rebuild for the thing to work.. they will crack on with it tonight. Hopefully they get it working. Because this isn't what I hoped for!

Sent from my SM-G903F using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Arailt and Jimmy P

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Unfortunately, rebuilding or replacing any parts on any car, is never what it seems, or what you expected.......

Always double or triple the time you expect to use, and the money you expected to pay - then you are in the ball park.

I speak from experience - those 1-2 hours quick fixes, once you get going, tend to run into many hours, not-so-quick fixes.
They can (and commonly do) also incur additional unforeseen costs along the way.

Looks fun from the photo - I have had the dashboard in pieces like that before....

Good luck !!!
Hope you get it all fixed and working before you need to drive the car again.

Reactions: Arailt

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Day 2 has come and gone.. still no radio.. Cruiser is still @ the workshop.. the factory amp only seems to work with the original radio so we have to bypass the factory amp it seems, no idea if that works though..

I want my damn rig back :( even if it is with the original radio..

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Day 2 has come and gone.. still no radio.. Cruiser is still @ the workshop.. the factory amp only seems to work with the original radio so we have to bypass the factory amp it seems, no idea if that works though..

I want my damn rig back :( even if it is with the original radio..
Sorry to hear....
Kind of what I said in my previous post - it always works out much longer and much more expensive than originally planned !!!
This experience will certainly help you plan your next upgrade task...
I clearly understand your frustration
Hope you get your vehicle back soon, and hopefully with a decent end result.
Look forward to your posts later, when the job is complete
Best Wishes from Norway

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

It shouldn't really take much longer or be much more expensive xD its a damn radio swap.. only Toyota makes their damn amp take nothing else.. the audio guy as been in business for 5 years and this is the first time he sees something like this..

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Got the message yesterday @ 10.30 PM that the Cruiser was done, so picked it up first thing this morning!

Just spend a bit of time after work to go through settings and play around with it a bit.. Here are some pictures of the Kenwood DDX9717BTS headunit. The 2 USB cables for the radio are extended to the cupholders just before the arm rest. They are used for USB sticks or to connect the phone for Android Auto in my case to use Google maps on the radio.

IMG_3592.JPG IMG_3593.JPG IMG_3594.JPG

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Got the message yesterday @ 10.30 PM that the Cruiser was done, so picked it up first thing this morning!

Just spend a bit of time after work to go through settings and play around with it a bit.. Here are some pictures of the Kenwood DDX9717BTS headunit. The 2 USB cables for the radio are extended to the cupholders just before the arm rest. They are used for USB sticks or to connect the phone for Android Auto in my case to use Google maps on the radio.

View attachment 33474 View attachment 33475 View attachment 33476
Nice !!!
Glad it worked out well in the end
Enjoy using it....

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

So... the more I looked how the hole in the rubber was cut to get the USB cables through the more I didn't like how it was done. So I just made a template and put some self adhesive velco in it that I had left over from the other little project..

With the flash of my phone on it doesn't look awesome but IRL it looks better.. At least the USB cables go through a small hole now and it looks better I think!

Only thing that might be a problem in the future is that there are 2 screws below the velcro that you need unscrew to disassemble the dash. But I hope I won't have to disassemble it for years to come so I should be good haha. New and Old together:
new3.jpg

Reactions: Jimmy P