Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

So I need your all’s help on something’s. I’ve been working on it the past few days. I got new sway bar links but the old ones are so corroded and ceased up that I can’t get the bottom bolt out. But also I am adding some decals and I don’t know which one to use.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

I am trying to decide on the position of the decal and don’t know which one looks better the one that is below the body line or the one where the mountains cross that body line?
And the taped off areas, I am going to sand and cover with bed liner. On a the hood in the middle and on the sides below the tape

Last edited:

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

Actually got it taped and covered in plastic. I've got the areas sanded down and I am going to start laying on the coats of bed liner tomorrow.

Reactions: Jimmy P

Juggernaut

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Ca
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Hart
Member #

Hey guys, so I sold my TJ Wrangler and my motorcycle. The TJ just didn't have the room and wasn't comfortable to drive very long distances and it didn't have A/C. So I scoured the internet for a while and found so many that looked good. Let me back up. I was looking at new 4Runners but just couldn't swing the price tag of a new one. So I settled on the 3ed Gen. I just love that body style. But after looking for what seemed like forever, and seeing so many with 200k+ miles I didn't think I could find one below 150k at a decent price. (Toyota really knows how to sell used cars!) but I ran across this beauty

She was 3.5 hours from me. So after talking with the salesman and getting more pictures of it. I set up a time to go look at it. After going through it pretty throughly with two of my buddies. I was able to negotiable him down on the price by $1,100. She rolled over to 109k miles on the way home.

She's completely stock and had the timing belt replaced at 98k miles. The only thing is she does have some rust. She came from NY so it's sorta expected. I don't believe it's to bad. I'm going to a shop to have a quote done and to see how bad it really is. At the price I got her for, I have some room for some quick upgrades and preventive maintenance and repair.
My list of repairs/upgrades I have in mind right now:
-Rust repair/ preventive
-Radiator and trans cooler
-Lift kit which I am leaning towards Icons 3" coilover with control arms.
-Rims and tires- I think I am going to go with 17" TRD rims off of a '16 4Runner. And BFG AT KO2's. 33's
-window tint
-Ball joints.
That's off the top of my head. I have been looking around light for bumpers and armor. OB#4011 I really like the way his bumper and skid plates look. But those will a while before I can add those. I will try and update this as I repair/add things with lots of pictures! And I'll post a link to my YouTube and upload videos of the work and adventures!!
Nice!

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

So after doing some more work on the 4R. I really started to notice some of the under coating coming off. I sanded it off and the frame is rotted. I took it to a shop and they said it is repairable but the cost to repair is just about the same to do a full frame swap. And it’s just not worth it to me. So I am just going to daily drive it. I have found two different ‘02’s one is pretty much built with a supercharger. With around 200k miles and miraculously maintained. The other has 147k miles and is completely stock and a perfect frame. So I need help deciding which one. Any advice is appreciated.

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

I agree. But the SC one’s interior is much nicer and he has taken care of all the little nuisance issue with that one. And I’ve put together a spreadsheet of the cost and between the stock and SC one it’s quite a bit cheaper for the built one. That I could make up for if the charger goes down. But I also want to build mine myself so I’m stuck in the middle. Lol

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
Don't you know anyone with a welder? You can attempt to fix the frame yourself. Did that a couple of times with my 85 yota P/U

Chaentjens

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

East Haddam CT
Member #

I agree. But the SC one’s interior is much nicer and he has taken care of all the little nuisance issue with that one. And I’ve put together a spreadsheet of the cost and between the stock and SC one it’s quite a bit cheaper for the built one. That I could make up for if the charger goes down. But I also want to build mine myself so I’m stuck in the middle. Lol

Then go for the built one! I've installed 3 blowers, it's quite a lot of work! Plus it will cost about 5k to do. Money that can be spent elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Clint1911

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

Don't you know anyone with a welder? You can attempt to fix the frame yourself. Did that a couple of times with my 85 yota P/U
My dad has a couple at the farm but nether of us can run a bead I would trust flexing while out on the trails

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
My dad has a couple at the farm but nether of us can run a bead I would trust flexing while out on the trails
With my yota I bought angle iron and flat steel and cut them to shape and welded over the holes/cracks. It held up for several more years until I sold it to a friend and he did a couple of more patches and drove it another two years.

I was just mentioning it as an option. I hate to see 4x4s go to heaven.

Reactions: Clint1911

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

With my yota I bought angle iron and flat steel and cut them to shape and welded over the holes/cracks. It held up for several more years until I sold it to a friend and he did a couple of more patches and drove it another two years.

I was just mentioning it as an option. I hate to see 4x4s go to heaven.
I might try that. When I get some free time. And see how’s it looks and whatnot. I do to. It’s a damn good truck other then the rust. It’s nearly perfect

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

So here’s on update on my Runner. I had a CEL come on, had it scanned and came out to be “P0773” which is a transmission shift solenoid E electrical. Looked it up on some of the Toyota forms and it didn’t seem to be that Big of a deal. I didn’t notice anything shifting hard or problems. So I drove it around for a bit. Finely got to a point where I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it and said that the whole transmission was shot. So I did looked around and found a wrecked one one CL That had been rolled into a ditch. Was able to pick it up for under $1k. The plan is to pull the body of and scrap it and use the frame which appears to be straight and rust free and do a frame swap. And do some upgrades and fix some other issues. Like the separate trans cooler, lift, fuel filter, hopefully front and rear lockers, and whatever else needs to be fixed or replaced while I have it in pieces. Hopefully I’ll have some pictures to upload by this weekend

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

So here’s on update on my Runner. I had a CEL come on, had it scanned and came out to be “P0773” which is a transmission shift solenoid E electrical. Looked it up on some of the Toyota forms and it didn’t seem to be that Big of a deal. I didn’t notice anything shifting hard or problems. So I drove it around for a bit. Finely got to a point where I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it and said that the whole transmission was shot. So I did looked around and found a wrecked one one CL That had been rolled into a ditch. Was able to pick it up for under $1k. The plan is to pull the body of and scrap it and use the frame which appears to be straight and rust free and do a frame swap. And do some upgrades and fix some other issues. Like the separate trans cooler, lift, fuel filter, hopefully front and rear lockers, and whatever else needs to be fixed or replaced while I have it in pieces. Hopefully I’ll have some pictures to upload by this weekend

All of the body on this one is shot obviously, but the frame appears to be in good condition. I have gotten the bumper off and I am in the process of removing the body mounts. Once the body is off and the drivetrain out. I plan on having it sandblasted and powder coated before swapping everything over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy P

herooftheday

Rank 0

Traveler I

Chicago
I check in here now and then and I have to saw that it is awesome you are taking the time to get this thing road worthy again. Good luck with the build. I hope I can watch it all from here!!