Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

Hey guys, so I sold my TJ Wrangler and my motorcycle. The TJ just didn't have the room and wasn't comfortable to drive very long distances and it didn't have A/C. So I scoured the internet for a while and found so many that looked good. Let me back up. I was looking at new 4Runners but just couldn't swing the price tag of a new one. So I settled on the 3ed Gen. I just love that body style. But after looking for what seemed like forever, and seeing so many with 200k+ miles I didn't think I could find one below 150k at a decent price. (Toyota really knows how to sell used cars!) but I ran across this beauty

She was 3.5 hours from me. So after talking with the salesman and getting more pictures of it. I set up a time to go look at it. After going through it pretty throughly with two of my buddies. I was able to negotiable him down on the price by $1,100. She rolled over to 109k miles on the way home.

She's completely stock and had the timing belt replaced at 98k miles. The only thing is she does have some rust. She came from NY so it's sorta expected. I don't believe it's to bad. I'm going to a shop to have a quote done and to see how bad it really is. At the price I got her for, I have some room for some quick upgrades and preventive maintenance and repair.
My list of repairs/upgrades I have in mind right now:
-Rust repair/ preventive
-Radiator and trans cooler
-Lift kit which I am leaning towards Icons 3" coilover with control arms.
-Rims and tires- I think I am going to go with 17" TRD rims off of a '16 4Runner. And BFG AT KO2's. 33's
-window tint
-Ball joints.
That's off the top of my head. I have been looking around light for bumpers and armor. OB#4011 I really like the way his bumper and skid plates look. But those will a while before I can add those. I will try and update this as I repair/add things with lots of pictures! And I'll post a link to my YouTube and upload videos of the work and adventures!!

Isaac Garibay

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Highland Park, CA
Member #

That's a nice rig man. I have a 99 4Runner my self. That I picked up about a year ago 3.4L with a TRD supercharger and 121k miles when I got it.

How it first looked when I got it. 100% stock other then the supercharger.

Remove the running boors add it the roof rack and some ditch lights. I have the 2016 TRD 4Runner rims and now saving up for the tires and OME suspension.

I can't wait to see some more updates of your build.
OB3611

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

Thanks justin. That bumper looks great! And super nice rig Isaac. I didn't realize that some came with super chargers!! Can't wait to see your updates!!

OB#1756

herooftheday

Rank 0

Traveler I

Chicago
Wow. I went and looked at this exact truck. Close to Indianapolis, right? The frame looked like Swiss cheese in the back. I was very upset because I drove 4 hrs each way to look at it after the salesman, Trent, told me the frame was fine. I spent about 30 seconds looking at the frame and passed. I know he got it "fixed" but there was so much rust underneath. The shocks, springs, control arms, brakes, everything. I hope it doesn't cost you too much to fix everything. The way it sat when I saw it, it would NOT have made it home. I hope you know what you are getting into.

I'm very curious to see how much it will cost to get fixed.

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

Thanks Bud. I know the feeling. Same with yours!!
HeRooftheday. Yup same place. I crawled up underneath, and looked it over with two of my buddies. And the frame looked pretty solid it did have some on the inner rocker panel and in the door jams and around the windshield. I took it to a busy shop today to get an estimate and see what they thought about it. One of their guys crawled underneath and said it was mostly surface rust and the undercoat need to be cleaned off and redone. But that it was all repairable. So I schedule the work. Dropping it off in Aug. cause the shop is booked till then. But I drove it home 3.5hours and it did great! It sucked the fuel but I didn't buy it for mpg. [emoji23]. But I will take before and after pictures and upload them!!

herooftheday

Rank 0

Traveler I

Chicago
Thanks Bud. I know the feeling. Same with yours!!
HeRooftheday. Yup same place. I crawled up underneath, and looked it over with two of my buddies. And the frame looked pretty solid it did have some on the inner rocker panel and in the door jams and around the windshield. I took it to a busy shop today to get an estimate and see what they thought about it. One of their guys crawled underneath and said it was mostly surface rust and the undercoat need to be cleaned off and redone. But that it was all repairable. So I schedule the work. Dropping it off in Aug. cause the shop is booked till then. But I drove it home 3.5hours and it did great! It sucked the fuel but I didn't buy it for mpg. [emoji23]. But I will take before and after pictures and upload them!!
He texted me and told me he got the frame patched, so maybe he got more work done to it. When I saw it, everything had rust all over it and it definitely didn't look like just surface rust. But the mechanic you took it to probably knows more about it than I do. Hopefully you end up with solid truck. I know the rest of it was pretty clean. Good luck with the build, I'll be watching to see what could have been for me lol.

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

I will definitely let the body shop know that and have them look for it! Thanks for the heads up!!

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

So I had some time to work on it this weekend. I forgot to take some pictures but I'll upload what I have and update them when I get off work. I changed the spark plugs and wires. Added an Optima Yellowtop. Getting new shoes today. BFG A/T KO2's. My pictures aren't uploading so I'll try and get them on here later today.

I did find some rust on the rocker panels which I'm not overly concerned about. But I also found a spot in the frame, where one of the plastic shields held salt and debris and it allowed it to rust out. It's not large but it's still an issue. I'm hoping the shop can remove as much rust as possible and weld some replacement and supports on to it. Some areas that looked bad, I was able to grind the coating away to solid steel.

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

So today, I finally got around to rebuilding the front brakes. Replaced the rubber lines with stainless steel ones, replaced the smaller metal lines with new OEM from Toyota, new Napa calipers, and best stop pads and rotors. Also replaced the top radiator hose with a red high temp silicone one from HPS, didn't have time to do the bottom one or enough coolant too. Added taillight guards also. I am not real pleased with the taillight guards. The passenger side went on fine and fit well. The drivers side didn't fit well at all we had to bend the brackets several times so the the rear hatch would close and it still just touches the corner of the guard. Again the app isn't allowing me to upload pictures. I took some videos, I am going to start uploading those to my YouTube page once I get it updated.

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

Cool. What kind of tires are you going to go with?
Well I went ahead and got BFG A/Ts to replace the very worn and dry rotted ones that were on it. Just on the stock rims. I would really like the '17 TRD rims but idk if I can justify spending that much on rims that I know are going to get beat on. So I'll probably go with something like these American racing ones.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk