My 1992 Jeep Wrangler Build

• HTML tutorial

jeepnjeff

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Since everyone seems to like pictures and build threads I might as well share mine. The Jeeps changed a lot. The largest tires it has had were 35x12.5R15's and the smallest were the stock 205.75R15's, with 32x11.5R15's somewhere in the middle. I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting or have removed since since.

Current Specs:

1992 Jeep Wrangler S, 2.5L I-4

Engine Related
  • Bosch 19# Design II Fuel Injectors
  • Custom Adjustable FPR 43,5 PSI (39 psi stock)
  • 18" FoMoCo Grand Marquis Electric Fan
  • Magnaflow Hi-Flow Catalytic Converter
  • Borla Cat-Back
  • 200 amp Alternator
  • Optima Blue/Marine Deep Cycle Battery
  • Performance Distributors FirePower Ignition Kit
  • 64mm Custom Throttle Body
  • AirRaid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer
Suspension
  • Front, 5.5" Spring Over Axle - OE Rear Leaf Springs
  • Rear, 3.5" Trail Master Kit
  • Custom 0" Lift Front Shackles
  • 3/8" Lift Rough Country Rear Dog-Leg Shackles
  • Rough Country Greasable Shackle Bolts
  • Rubicon Express Sway Bar Disconnects
  • No Track-Bars
Axles
  • OE Dana 30 - 4.56:1 Gears, Detroit TruTrac Limited Slip Differential
  • XJ Dana 44 - 4:56:1 Gears, Detroit Softlocker Differential, Superior Axle Shafts
  • FourXDoctor Differential Guards (Front and Rear)
Transfer Case
  • OE NP-231-J - JB Conversion Slip Yoke Conversion, Tom Woods CV Driveshaft
Wheel's & Tires
  • 1996 Jeep Cherokee 15x7", 5.5" BS, 5- Spoke Steel Wheels & BFG 33x10.5R15 KM2
Misc
  • Kilby Onboard Air (York Compressor)
  • 2.5 Gallon Sun Performance Air Tank
  • 20 Gallon Gas Tank Conversion (stock 15 gal)
  • Kilby Enterprise 3/16" Gas Tank Skid Plate
  • JeepAir Aftermarket A/C
  • J&L Bolt-In Front Roll Cage
  • Smittybilt 3" Shorty Nerf Bars
  • 6"x2" LED Tail Lights
  • Hella E-Code H4 Conversion Headlights (55/65)
  • PIAA 940 Dual Lights 55/55w (Originally 80/90w)
  • Uniden Pro520XL CB Radio - K40 Super Flex Antenna
  • Yaesu FT-1500M Amateur Band Radio - Larsen 49" NMO-150c
  • Garmin Street Pilot 2610 - TOPO's
  • Con-Fer Roof Rack
  • Warn M8000 Winch
  • Hi-Lift 48" Jack
  • 2003-2008 OE Side Mirrors
  • MasterCraft Rubicon Suspension Seats
  • 1994 Jeep Wrangler Hard Top and Full Doors
  • ValPro (Latvian) 20L NATO Jerry Cans
Future plans? Perhaps an engine swap. Maybe a Mopar 4.6L Stroker I6, Chevy 5.7L TBI 350 or Cummins Repower 2.8L. An Atlas 4-Speed Transfer Case (2.72/4.3/10.5:1) would have been really nice for the Rubicon trip. I want to replace the old school Con-Ferr rack for something like the Garvin/Gobi Roof Rack and some type of RTT. Maybe switch the locker and LSD to Eaton E-Lockers for better street manners. I'm also toying with the idea of going back to 35's. Problem is, I like the skinny tire look.

1992 - Day 1

At 13,803', Mauna Kea on the Big Island of Hawaii

Peacock Flats, Oahu, Hawaii

Port of Oakland, California

Yosemite, California

More compressors then motor

New Tire Day

Vee-Groove, Rubicon Trail

Observation Point, Rubicon Trail

Last edited:

shandygaff550

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Cleveland, GA
Member #

Looks really good! I'm looking at a 2002 TJ and I like the skinny bumper/winch only option. Do you have the Larger or smaller bumper on the front now?? Thanks!

jeepnjeff

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Looks really good! I'm looking at a 2002 TJ and I like the skinny bumper/winch only option. Do you have the Larger or smaller bumper on the front now?? Thanks!
The small bumper is what's on it now. (*the pictures are in chronological order) It's actually a stock bumper that's been cut down and welded back together. The bumper was cut so it's just wide enough to protect the Aux. lights I run. Then some of the spare metal was welded back onto the ends to cap them off. The OEM bumper gives you the best approach angle as it does not add much to the end of the frame. The reason for cutting the number down was that when you run into something with the stock bumper, it usually bends at the end of the frame and wedges itself into the tire.

The two holes are usually horizontal on a YJ bumper but we reused them then welded nuts to the back incase I ever want to bolt something to them. It was a why not spontaneous thing.

OEM Stock Bumper:

Here's an older picture of the Jeep but you can see the bumper without the license plate getting in the way. (*old picture when the Jeep was on 35x12.5R15's)

shandygaff550

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Cleveland, GA
Member #

Makes perfect sense to me. I knew it looked better, for some reason, and now I know why! Much appreciated. I may be checking back if (when) I enter the Wrangler universe. Shayne

jeepnjeff

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Yeah, you definitely can do it in a small Jeep. The biggest advantage I had was that I was able to drive between larger obstacles that my friend with 37's had. Making them a non-issue.

Since then I've done a few changes. Most notable, I put the 1.25" body lift back in. This helps solve a few problems I was having. One was the exhaust was tapping the underside of my Jeep. It's kinda cramp around the rear diff since I have a 2.5 gallon air tank mounted under there. The pipe would either tap against the floor or the tank. The other problem was having the rear tire rub against the rear fender. It's a known issue with YJ's and most end up trimming the opening larger. With my soft leafs I was getting some rub on the highway when a decent size dip. I probably need to replace my shocks for new one though. The seals are probably worn so they're soft on the compression.

Also on that trip last year I crushed the exhaust tip on my Borla and the cage in the muffler had come loose and was rattling. I contacted Borla and they sent me a new exhaust. (I highly recommend them.) A new problem arose when I noticed Borla now has a huge exhaust tip on them now. The old square one was bad but this one is much worse for clearance.

New exhaust tip.

So off it went. I ended up taking the old tip and cutting around the welds. Now I have plenty of clearance.

Here's another pic of when I flopped. I'm glad I strapped everything down well as nothing shifted or fell out.

After a little hammer work, I got most of the dent out. At least the flare sits flush again. Before, I could fit my fist between the flare and body.

The passenger side nerf bar took a beating. I had to use a sledge to get the bar off the body. I'll be replacing these with rocker guards and integrated steps. I think these old nerfs caused more damage than they did protecting, They're old school 3" Smittybilt Nerfs.

Reactions: shandygaff550

jeepnjeff

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Did some more work on the Jeep.

One of the problems I ran into when the Jeep flopped onto its side was the motor shifted and the pulley rubbed the A/C line. Luckily, it didn't cut through the first layer. Funny thing is, I took the first pic before the trip notting how close it was.

Ending up massaging the fender a bit to give the compressor more room. Because I installed the 1.25" body lift, I had even less room for the compressor because the fender tapers inward. I ended up routing the low-pressure A/C line under the jack mount so now it's well protected. I also cleaned up the wiring that I'd been meaning to do for years.

It looks kinda messy but that's mainly because there's a lot of stuff on that side of the engine.

Reactions: shandygaff550