My 1985 BJ70 JDM "Little Blue"

• HTML tutorial

gregsw

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle
Hi guys,

Thought I would start a buildup thread to chronicle this new project, share ideas, and learn all that I can. I just became a member of OB this week and am really loving it so far.
Great community you guys have here, and I'm proud to be a part of it.

My name is Greg and I live in Seattle, I purchased this rig about 3 months ago from someone local here who posted it on craigslist. I had just sold my 2016 TRD Pro and was looking around for a older project.

Don't get me wrong, the TRD was nice, but a little too nice. I would cringe every time I put a pinstripe down the side of the paint or hate the smell of dust when turning on the AC. I decided to sell it and look for something more trail worthy, more me I guess. I've always had old rigs and not sure why I thought a new rig was the answer. Plus, aftermarket parts and labor for anything new is just ridiculous.

Anyway on to the project,

Specs:

1985 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ70

JDM (Japanese Domestic Model) Right hand drive

Current mileage: 230,000 km which is about 143,000 miles

Toyota 3B diesel engine non-turbo

H55 5 Speed Manual Transmission

Factory PTO winch

9" Full Floating rear-end

Center diff lock

Manual locking front hubs

Air Conditioning (Works)

It was bone stock when I picked her up, everything worked, every light, every gauge, AC, everything.

There are a few minor rust spots, but nothing major, frame is in good shape.

IMG_2031.JPG

IMG_2051.JPG

IMG_2052.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG

Few little rust spots that PO pointed out.
IMG_2316.JPG

IMG_2318.JPG

IMG_2319.JPG

Previous owner had just replaced the OEM shocks and steering arm. However the spring were looking pretty sad and I had planned an OME 2-3" Kit anyway. I gave Cruiser Outfitters a call and had the right kit I needed within a week. Great customer service! I went with the ultimate kit which replaces everything and comes with grease able shackles. The kit also comes with a new steering stabilizer and shocks.

IMG-2950.JPG

I had planned to get new tires, but after inspecting the stock chrome wheels I found that they were super pitted and rusted out. I searched around for some new wheels, and I knew that I didn't want to run any wheels spacers. I've actually broke one on my JK. I did my research and found these new 15" FJ40 wheels at Cruiser Corps. Again great customer service!

IMG-3002.JPG

On my FJ80 I had BFG KM2's and was really happy with them, I watched OB video about the new KM3's and decided to give them a try. I ordered 5 33x10.5xR15.

IMG_0155.JPG

I attempted to do the lift kit myself. However, I ended up having to pay someone to torch off all the old suspension. It was just too difficult to remove even after soaking in blaster for a week. I called a few shops and was even quoted $1500 just for the install. I ended up going to 4Wheelparts the did the whole thing for like $500. And they did an awesome job!

lilblue001.jpg

lilblue002.jpg

I picked up the above roof rack from a guy on craigslist, it's a warrior rack bed for a Tacoma and ended up fitting perfectly. Couldn't get the 33" spare to fit and had to to wait till I got home to flip the tire carrier, this will allow the tire to clear the rear bumper.

lilblue003.jpg

A few weeks later I picked up a Front Runner rear ladder. I really like how it bolts thru the rear door
behind the Lic plate holder which makes for a clean install.

lilblue004.jpg

Next, I picked up an Overland Pros Wraptor 2000 awning.
I have heard some good things about these guys, and the price was hard to beat.

lilblue006.jpg

I had been shopping around for a Hard Top Tent for awhile and spoke with the crew over at Mule Expedition Outfitters, they said they had a new Tepui White Lightening Gen 2, that was about to arrive in a few days. I went ahead and picked it up and had it installed last week. It has some really great features, it's made in the USA, and there customer service is exceptional. I called Tepui to get an additional ladder attachment since with the OverlandPros awning I would need to enter the tent from the right side and not the rear. They are actually sending a technician to Mule to do the install this weekend.

lilblue007.jpg

Today, I ripped out the back seat and built a plywood sub floor, I covered it with 1/4" gym flooring and added some aluminum angle to give it that nice finished look.

lilblue008.jpg

The plan is to install a 3rd bucket seat so, my son can ride along with us. I've ordered a Smitty Built bucket seat and an universal base that can be easily removed when he doesn't want to go.
Anyway, I'm all caught up on this build so far, and will post any new developments. I have an appointment with TorFab next month and they will go through make sure she is road worthy.
There are some electrical issues I need to figure out since this rig has a 24v system.

Thanks for looking

Greg

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hi guys,

Thought I would start a buildup thread to chronicle this new project, share ideas, and learn all that I can. I just became a member of OB this week and am really loving it so far.
Great community you guys have here, and I'm proud to be a part of it.

My name is Greg and I live in Seattle, I purchased this rig about 3 months ago from someone local here who posted it on craigslist. I had just sold my 2016 TRD Pro and was looking around for a older project.

Don't get me wrong, the TRD was nice, but a little too nice. I would cringe every time I put a pinstripe down the side of the paint or hate the smell of dust when turning on the AC. I decided to sell it and look for something more trail worthy, more me I guess. I've always had old rigs and not sure why I thought a new rig was the answer. Plus, aftermarket parts and labor for anything new is just ridiculous.

Anyway on to the project,

Specs:

1985 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ70

JDM (Japanese Domestic Model) Right hand drive

Current mileage: 230,000 km which is about 143,000 miles

Toyota 3B diesel engine non-turbo

H55 5 Speed Manual Transmission

Factory PTO winch

9" Full Floating rear-end

Center diff lock

Manual locking front hubs

Air Conditioning (Works)

It was bone stock when I picked her up, everything worked, every light, every gauge, AC, everything.

There are a few minor rust spots, but nothing major, frame is in good shape.

View attachment 64084

View attachment 64085

View attachment 64086

View attachment 64087

View attachment 64088

Few little rust spots that PO pointed out.
View attachment 64089

View attachment 64092

View attachment 64093

Previous owner had just replaced the OEM shocks and steering arm. However the spring were looking pretty sad and I had planned an OME 2-3" Kit anyway. I gave Cruiser Outfitters a call and had the right kit I needed within a week. Great customer service! I went with the ultimate kit which replaces everything and comes with grease able shackles. The kit also comes with a new steering stabilizer and shocks.

View attachment 64094

I had planned to get new tires, but after inspecting the stock chrome wheels I found that they were super pitted and rusted out. I searched around for some new wheels, and I knew that I didn't want to run any wheels spacers. I've actually broke one on my JK. I did my research and found these new 15" FJ40 wheels at Cruiser Corps. Again great customer service!

View attachment 64095

On my FJ80 I had BFG KM2's and was really happy with them, I watched OB video about the new KM3's and decided to give them a try. I ordered 5 33x10.5xR15.

View attachment 64096

I attempted to do the lift kit myself. However, I ended up having to pay someone to torch off all the old suspension. It was just too difficult to remove even after soaking in blaster for a week. I called a few shops and was even quoted $1500 just for the install. I ended up going to 4Wheelparts the did the whole thing for like $500. And they did an awesome job!

View attachment 64098

View attachment 64099

I picked up the above roof rack from a guy on craigslist, it's a warrior rack bed for a Tacoma and ended up fitting perfectly. Couldn't get the 33" spare to fit and had to to wait till I got home to flip the tire carrier, this will allow the tire to clear the rear bumper.

View attachment 64100

A few weeks later I picked up a Front Runner rear ladder. I really like how it bolts thru the rear door
behind the Lic plate holder which makes for a clean install.

View attachment 64101

Next, I picked up an Overland Pros Wraptor 2000 awning.
I have heard some good things about these guys, and the price was hard to beat.

View attachment 64102

I had been shopping around for a Hard Top Tent for awhile and spoke with the crew over at Mule Expedition Outfitters, they said they had a new Tepui White Lightening Gen 2, that was about to arrive in a few days. I went ahead and picked it up and had it installed last week. It has some really great features, it's made in the USA, and there customer service is exceptional. I called Tepui to get an additional ladder attachment since with the OverlandPros awning I would need to enter the tent from the right side and not the rear. They are actually sending a technician to Mule to do the install this weekend.

View attachment 64103

Today, I ripped out the back seat and built a plywood sub floor, I covered it with 1/4" gym flooring and added some aluminum angle to give it that nice finished look.

View attachment 64104

The plan is to install a 3rd bucket seat so, my son can ride along with us. I've ordered a Smitty Built bucket seat and an universal base that can be easily removed when he doesn't want to go.
Anyway, I'm all caught up on this build so far, and will post any new developments. I have an appointment with TorFab next month and they will go through make sure she is road worthy.
There are some electrical issues I need to figure out since this rig has a 24v system.

Thanks for looking

Greg
Great Rig Greg....

gregsw

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle
So Tepui flew a tech from Santa Cruz to Seattle to replace the buckles and install a ladder attachment bracket on the side so we can enter the tent with the 270 awning set up.
The tech said they had one buckle fail, and that was one too many, so they are going around and upgrading all the buckles on units sold so far.
Hats off to Tepui and Mule Expedition for their AMAZING customer service! They even offered to come to my house or work, but I had the day off and meet them at Mule.

lilblue011.jpg

gregsw

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle
The seating reminds me of the Honda Element. The people in the back are elevated so they can see out the front window as well
Yeah, I sat in it after the install and thought the same thing, plus the roof is so high, you still have plenty of head room.

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

That’s awesome. What are you averaging for MPG? With the KMs and the tent they’ve got to be cutting it. Do you have before and after MPG?

Reactions: gregsw

gregsw

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle
To be honest, I have no idea.
If I had to guess, I would say about 13 or 14 MPG, better than my TRD Pro, that was about 12.
It's 425km per tank or 260 miles.

bawesomfels

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ockenfels
Member #

Service Branch
Army
This is probably my favorite build so far! Hope to catch a glimpse next year on my road trip to Canada.

Reactions: gregsw

gregsw

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle
Last week when I was Mule Expedition getting the tent worked on, I picked up a Front Runner fold down table, was able to get it installed this morning.
The quality is great, looks like I may need to oil down the cutting board a bit. It's not treated yet.

lilblue013.jpg

lilblue014.jpg

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Nice rig and nice build, good choice to start with.

Now that you've added weight and tire diameter, does that 3B have enough power for you?

gregsw

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle
Nice rig and nice build, good choice to start with.

Now that you've added weight and tire diameter, does that 3B have enough power for you?
She's a bit of a dog on hills, but I can still putt along pretty good. Maybe I'll do a re-gear in the future
or possible a small turbo kit. Thanks for looking!

Reactions: VCeXpedition

gregsw

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle
Been pretty busy at work these days so not too many updates, started to notice some white smoke during cold starts in the morning.
replaced the glow plugs, buss bar, and caps yesterday. She starts right up now and purrs like a kitten!

lilblue021.jpg