My 05 GX470 Build. Slowly moving along.

• HTML tutorial

Erick05GX

Rank III

Traveler I

So I bought this GX about 6 months ago. As most projects go, time and money is all it takes, and after I bought the lift, wheels and tires, then had the time to install it but no more money. Then I got the money to buy the tent, I luckily had time to build the roof rack. Now I am in a holding pattern until I have time/money to build the rear bumper. I am actually waiting on parts from comp4x4. Here’s some progress since day 1.

Attachments

Erick05GX

Rank III

Traveler I

50C70E1B-B199-42D5-8AB2-4843329E6448.jpeg In the wild .....sans rear bumper. Next phase is rear bumper with spare, high lift jack, steps, back up lights, gas cans, o rperhaps just a fuel cell mounted (harder to steal) and maybe a propane tank space permitting. Removing lots of the spare tire brackets and trying to stuff a fresh water tank, and maybe air tank, though I might do the air somewhere else. Suggestions? Pics of your set up?

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
That is a nice rig. I have the European equivalent, a KDJ150 LC Prado.

Erick05GX

Rank III

Traveler I

Hey guys sorry for the late reply’s been super busy with work and other projects haven’t been able to it give the attention to this vehicle it needs soon though I am working on the rear bumper and after that I’ll be doing the drawer system and fridge slide along with dual batteries charge controller and solar

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Hey guys sorry for the late reply’s been super busy with work and other projects haven’t been able to it give the attention to this vehicle it needs soon though I am working on the rear bumper and after that I’ll be doing the drawer system and fridge slide along with dual batteries charge controller and solar
Any updates? I'm seriously starting to consider one of these, I'd love to see your progress!

Erick05GX

Rank III

Traveler I

FC4E81F4-C83C-4741-84B8-982C94CE7D6A.png 27E604E7-EE3E-4E6D-898C-E925485B9C47.png Hey Mike, it’s slowly coming along. Got the rear bumper just about finished. I have been working so much , and then with some other projects needing attention, it’s been on the back burner. I had to modify a 1-1/4” hitch to 2”’. I’ll get some pics up soon. I do love the trick though. I highly recommend them. Just find one that has the timing belt done and I always look for low miles.

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Pics aren't showing up for me. Looking forward to seeing the finished pics of the rear bumper though!

Let me ask you (and sorry to derail your thread), but I'm thinking of getting one of these, the first gen like yours. Any advice on purchasing? I have it in my head I want the '05+ for the extra 35hp, but don't know if that's the only advantage over the earlier ones? Also, this will end up as a DD, so I guess newer/less miles is better.

Also, regular vs. premium? I'm reading some people say premium is a must, other say it's not required as this engine in Toyota branded vehicles calls for Regular.

Lastly, did you do anything to your Nav unit? I've read those are a PITA, as they're pretty outdated but can't be replaced due to the climate controls being integrated with them. That's a pretty big con for me, as that's a pet peeve of mine even on brand new cars. IMO all that stuff should be separate.

If you have time to answer, feel free to PM me if you don't want to clutter up your thread.

Thanks.