MWO | Spring Tour of Tulips - May 5-7

• HTML tutorial

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

Hey gents, just wanted to send an open invite to anyone either not on Facebook or follow us at all. I'll try to start doing a better job at posting our trips, meet & greets, etc over here for people to join up.

Facebook Event Link - Indiana (Hoosier National Forest) trip.

Camping, sight seeing, gravel road cruising, generally being #xpoaf, etc. Events planned from Friday PM to Sunday AM. Everyone can come and go as needed.

-Owen Putnam State Forest
-Tulip Trestle
-Williams Covered Bridge/Dam
-Tunnelton Tunnel
-Hoosier National Forest
-Yellowwood State Forest
-Stillwater Overlook
-Upland Brewing Company (subject to change)

Route Map:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zYoYgjZ4dkahpW6kxHoRMl-1wEM&usp=sharing

Feel free to follow us on Facebook if you'd like.

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

***Please read the below text and itinerary before asking questions
;) ***

The plan for this event is to run from Friday night until Sunday morning. I will be at Owen Putnam State Forest Rattlesnake camp by 6 PM on Friday, May 5th. I plan to get there during the afternoon if I can take a half day off work. That depends. We will camp at Owen Putnam Rattlesnake campground that evening. I will post more details but I believe there is a fee for camping at OPSF. Last time I was there it was more or less the honor system but please bring cash for that.

On Saturday morning, we will get up and hit the road after breakfast. This will be a day of sightseeing. Should be around 135 miles traveled in all. The plan is to hit up Tulip Trestle, Williams Covered Bridge, and Williams Dam where we will stop for lunch. Everyone will be on their own for lunch. From there we will head to the Tunnelton Tunnel and then to the Hoosier National Forest to camp. The plan is to have some free time in the afternoon where people can explore the HNF on their own or just hang out at camp. I’ve been in that area of HNF plenty of times and will likely be tired from guiding the group so I plan to crack open a beer!

I tried to plan the Saturday route on as many unpaved roads as possible but there won’t really be anything that will in all likelihood challenge your vehicle or driving skills. Just want to throw this out there. If you won’t be happy without wheeling, this is not the event for you!

Sunday the plan is to get up and hit the road early again. From there we will go check out the grounds at the Story Inn and then head to Yellowwood State Forest. There are a few (likely shallow) water crossings in Yellowwood but it will be springtime so who knows…if it’s crazy deep we will find alternate routes. After Yellowwood we will go past the Stillwater North Fork Waterfowl Resting Area and check that out. Another possibility for some water crossing depending on the Monroe lake level. After that, we will head into Bloomington for lunch at Upland Brewing Company* and part ways after lunch. Everyone is free to come and go as they please of course but you will be responsible for finding the group.

*subject to change

Reactions: Overland-Indiana

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Bumping this thread for a reminder... Although this isn't an Official Overland Bound - Midwest meet, quite a few members including myself will be there. Should be a good time, they're calling for rain and chillier conditions so dress/pack accordingly. We camp rain or shine.