MWO - Project "Ambo"

• HTML tutorial

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

I have this posted over at Expedition Portal, but I figured someone might want to follow here as well. Here's my 1991 F350 Wheeled Coach Type 1 Ambulance that I picked up in January. I plan to convert this into our camping/expo rig for future trips and leave my Tundra at home.

I'ts currently a 2WD dually, but i'm wanting to convert it to 4WD to get the family off the beaten path.

Future plans:
  • 4WD Conversion (far future)
  • Pull out bed
  • Front winch bumper w/winch
  • 6x MasterCraft Courser ATX in LT215/85r16
  • Rebuild truck as times goes (bushings, suspension, etc)

For the time being though, we are just going to get it out and use it as much as possible.

Last edited:

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

And I COULD convert a traditional D44 set up for coils and radius arms to an HD with Dual piston calipers.

It's all for sale anyways.

My bronco is staying as is now.

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

I told my girlfriend if I sold my van I'd have to buy a 4x4 ambulance to replace it. So I'm a fan and will definitely be keeping an eye on your build.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
I have this posted over at Expedition Portal, but I figured someone might want to follow here as well. Here's my 1991 F350 Wheeled Coach Type 1 Ambulance that I picked up in January. I plan to convert this into our camping/expo rig for future trips and leave my Tundra at home.

I'ts currently a 2WD dually, but i'm wanting to convert it to 4WD to get the family off the beaten path.

Future plans:
  • 4WD Conversion
  • Pull out bed
  • Front winch bumper w/winch
  • 6x MasterCraft Courser ATX in LT215/85r16
  • Rebuild truck as times goes (bushings, suspension, etc)

For the time being though, we are just going to get it out and use it as much as possible.

AWESOMENESS this is a dream of mine would love to do something like this Will be following for sure

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I am so sorry....
I could have sent it with my inlaws lol

They just left for Ohio!

I have been busy lately and couldn't go...

An sas on these pickups 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive is going to require the use of the buckets that come with the 70 model trucks anyway so you're not looking at retaining the factory buckets that take the coil and the shock all that's coming off down to Slick frame.

Measure out and mount up your coil buckets figure out what coil is you're going to run because coilovers on that Beast would be completely unnecessary you can either build or buy extended radius rms for some really good Flex I was going to use James Duff arms

You may or may not need to fabricate a rear crossmember depending on what method you choose to go with on the radius arms.

I have the radius arm brackets Factory radius arms the buckets the coils all of the shot bracketing all of the track bar bracket in the track bar all of the steering components it's all there I just didn't do Do-it 1 axle is a dana 45 HD 8 lug axle and the other is a regular 78 F150 Dana 44 I was going to convert the F-150 Dana 44 to 8 lugs so that I can have 8 lugs and use coils instead of leafs.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I can send you any of these parts and they can be used on a Dana 60 just as easily as they can this 44 but finding a Dana 60 is like playing where's Waldo and when you find him he pokes you in the eye