Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Have few questions for the Como Gurus. I have spent the last week Googling but I haven't been able to find a clear answer. (That I understand)

North Maine Woods had signs up asking vehicles to monitor MURS 4. Outside of NMW signs asked to Monitor CB CH19.

Are the MURS freqs covered on a GMRS Radio (FCC Licensed) like the Midland MXMidland.

Or if I wanted cover both GMRS and MURS does that mean I will have to get two separate radios?

Edit:. CB is taken care of. Have a Cobra 75 that swaps really easy between jeep and 4runner

Edit2. Understand about the Baufang UV-5R option just looking for an option that is covered under FCC guidance for now.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Have few questions for the Como Gurus. I have spent the last week Googling but I haven't been able to find a clear answer. (That I understand)

North Maine Woods had signs up asking vehicles to monitor MURS 4. Outside of NMW signs asked to Monitor CB CH19.

Are the MURS freqs covered on a GMRS Radio (FCC Licensed) like the Midland MXMidland.

Or if I wanted cover both GMRS and MURS does that mean I will have to get two separate radios?

Edit:. CB is taken care of. Have a Cobra 75 that swaps really easy between jeep and 4runner

Edit2. Understand about the Baufang UV-5R option just looking for an option that is covered under FCC guidance for now.
Legally you need two different radios, one for GMRS and one for MURS. For an all inclusive radio the Baofeng UV series radios are your cheapest option. There are also Chinese made mobile radios that can be unlocked with programming to operate on GMRS/MURS frequencies, but they are primarily 2m/70cm Amateur radios. Then with a hardware called the MARS/CAP mod, most Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu radios can be made to cover the frequencies you are wanting.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army

Legally you need two different radios, one for GMRS and one for MURS. For an all inclusive radio the Baofeng UV series radios are your cheapest option. There are also Chinese made mobile radios that can be unlocked with programming to operate on GMRS/MURS frequencies, but they are primarily 2m/70cm Amateur radios. Then with a hardware called the MARS/CAP mod, most Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu radios can be made to cover the frequencies you are wanting.
Thank you M Rose. Leaning towards Baofeng but wanting to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Fairly familiar with the limitations of each of the different frequency sets, but most of the radios I am familiar with are SINCGARS, PRC varients

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thank you M Rose. Leaning towards Baofeng but wanting to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Fairly familiar with the limitations of each of the different frequency sets, but most of the radios I am familiar with are SINCGARS, PRC varients
You would be very familiar with programming a Kenwood transceiver then. SINCGARS operate just under the 2m band. Give me a day to look into a few mobile units that operate on the MURS frequencies.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Never mind MURS is limited to a maximum of 2 watts of power regardless of modulation… so even a Baofeng UV5R is too powerful for legal MURS operation. You would be better off just running a CB or getting your GMRS license for convoy coms and a FRS hand held transceiver for spotting. Better yet would be to get your amateur radio license and then a radio with the MARS/CAP mod and register with the Military Auxiliary Relay League.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Never mind MURS is limited to a maximum of 2 watts of power regardless of modulation… so even a Baofeng UV5R is too powerful for legal MURS operation. You would be better off just running a CB or getting your GMRS license for convoy coms and a FRS hand held transceiver for spotting. Better yet would be to get your amateur radio license and then a radio with the MARS/CAP mod and register with the Military Auxiliary Relay League.
MURS is more for listening to Logging Trucks calling out milage markers and bridge crossings up in Maine's North Woods (Trucks have right of way and bridges are often one lane). Wouldn't be transmitting.

Thanks for the info. Will look into those options.

Aaron W

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
MURS is more for listening to Logging Trucks calling out milage markers and bridge crossings up in Maine's North Woods (Trucks have right of way and bridges are often one lane). Wouldn't be transmitting.

Thanks for the info. Will look into those options.

Aaron W
If you're just listening then legally you can use any radio that will tune that frequency. All the radios PreRunner listed will work fine.