Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
I know we all carry a leatherman or some variation of the popular multitool but what other multi tools do you carry in your rig. I myself almost refuse buy single purpose tools anymore ( I still have a regular tool kit that everyone should carry sockets, ratchets, hammer wrenches, etc) but my screwdrivers are multi tools they are the type with multiple tips including nut drivers, screwdrivers, would it be taps or dyes (the teeth are on the outside of tool so it would be to thread the inside of a nut sorry I just don’t know which it is, call me lame). Anyway these are the type of things I look for to carry in my rig, to save on both weight and space. On my seat backs instead of molle I found backpacks that not only have a insulated pockets that will keep 6 water bottles cold without ice for roughly twelve hours but have useable fold down shelves and three decent size compartments to store other items in. I like the old fashioned hand turn can openers with the corkscrew and church key and bottle openers. why? one tool multiple uses. Drinking water isn’t just drinking water it’s ice when I pack the cooler. What other tools do you carry that are multi tools some of us might not know about such as using your spare tire as a traction device in a pinch (tough to explain but when you sit it it’s a why didn’t I think of that moment) kinda like using a flammable aerosol to seat a bead first time I saw it being done I thought someone has lost their mind then it was well SOB it worked anything like that really interest me multiple uses saving space and weight. Let’s hear what ya got

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Hi lift jack, can be a jack, a spreading tool, tire removal tool and a comealong. Ether, starts diesel in a pinch, clean brakes, and like you said will seat a bead. Blow torch, heats parts, soldering, starting camp fire. Electric winch, also a 95ft zipline if your really bored. Baofeng uhf vhf Ham radio also works as fm camp radio. Spare tire as a spare tire, can also be a jack pad in a pinch, also can be buried and used as a deadman land anchor. About all i can think of along that line right now. I may think of more later once im fully awake.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Logs can be used as a jack if you have steel bumpers. Floor mats can be traction aids in slick conditions. My tailgate doubles as a camp table. Front and rear reciever hitches can be used for winch, snow plow, moving trailers, recovery pulls and hi lift jack points. Really anything can be multipurpose if you have any imagination.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Engine bay doubles as an oven, air pump well thats just an air pump but you can use em to inflate tires, a bed, pool floaties etc. Trash bags hold trah of course but you can use them for dry storage, dirty clothes, a makeshift poncho, cover a broken window and probably a hundred ther uses.
12v batteries can be used as bush arc welders if you carry jumper cables and arc sticks. I have a small peizioelectric fridge that also can heat up food. You can use your rear wheels and a good strong rope as a bush winch in a pinch. I really could go on and on so ill let someone else give some fresh ideas.

Last edited:

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
Hi lift jack, can be a jack, a spreading tool, tire removal tool and a comealong. Ether, starts diesel in a pinch, clean brakes, and like you said will seat a bead. Blow torch, heats parts, soldering, starting camp fire. Electric winch, also a 95ft zipline if your really bored. Baofeng uhf vhf Ham radio also works as fm camp radio. Spare tire as a spare tire, can also be a jack pad in a pinch, also can be buried and used as a deadman land anchor. About all i can think of along that line right now. I may think of more later once im fully awake.
The uses of a high lift are endless I had forgot to mention that one myself but I have also read a thread that a lot of people have never used theirs

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
Engine bay doubles as an oven, air pump well thats just an air pump but you can use em to inflate tires, a bed, pool floaties etc. Trash bags hold trah of course but you can use them for dry storage, dirty clothes, a makeshift poncho, cover a broken window and probably a hundred ther uses.
12v batteries can be used as bush arc welders if you carry jumper cables and arc sticks. I have a small peizioelectric ridge that also can heat up food. You can use your rear wheels and a good strong rope as a bush winch in a pinch. I really could go on and on so ill let someone else give some fresh ideas.
Not being sarcastic at all but I am not sure what a piezoelectric ridge is and I have seen videos of the bush winches not sure if I want to attempt that one looks a little sketchy to me

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

The uses of a high lift are endless I had forgot to mention that one myself but I have also read a thread that a lot of people have never used theirs
I rarely if ever use mine, normally to lift my tractor. But i have it and know alot of ways to use it if i need to. Definately not my favorite jack to use if i dont absolutely have to.

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
I rarely if ever use mine, normally to lift my tractor. But i have it and know alot of ways to use it if i need to. Definately not my favorite jack to use if i dont absolutely have to.
Than can be dangerous that is for sure I have only ever used one once I was sure glad to get that truck on the ground

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

I know maxtrax are another multipurpose device. Used for leveling, digging, jack base and even a ground anchor. But like the high lift, people have them and may never use them. For that I would say: having something you don't need is better then needing something you don't have.

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
I know maxtrax are another multipurpose device. Used for leveling, digging, jack base and even a ground anchor. But like the high lift, people have them and may never use them. For that I would say: having something you don't need is better then needing something you don't have.
So very true

Reactions: Buckaroo

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
Axe, I don't carry a hammer, hammers can't chop shit.
4" knife, full tang. used for almost everything.
para cord, also used for almost everything.
hooked bungee cords.... used everywhere for everything.
I reckon everything in /on my van is multi-purpose, I built it that way.
Even the winch line is a washing line, zip wire for the kids ...Oh!..and it can be used as a winch too.