Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
I have a CVT Mt. Shasta with the annex. I'm wondering if a Mr. Heater would sufficiently and safely heat the annex and the sleeping area of the tent overnight in subfreezing weather. Is there a good reason to not use a Mr. Heater in a CVT or is there a better heating solution?
Thanks for any feedback,
-Matt

Kevin_Morrison

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Worland Wyoming
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Morrison
Member #

I have a CVT Mt. Shasta with the annex. I'm wondering if a Mr. Heater would sufficiently and safely heat the annex and the sleeping area of the tent overnight in subfreezing weather. Is there a good reason to not use a Mr. Heater in a CVT or is there a better heating solution?
Thanks for any feedback,
-Matt
It is a tent heater should be good to go

Sent from my XT1585 using OB Talk mobile app

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

It's a heater designed to be in a tent. So long as you have proper ventilation you should be fine

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
I'm also wondering which size Mr. Heater I would need. Can the Little Buddy do the job of keeping the RTT and annex warm or do I need one of the two larger sizes?

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Thanks for any feedback,
-Matt
We run the Mr Heater - Buddy Heater in our annex and it works incredibly well. We've maintained 68 degrees during sub 20 degree weather with ease. It truly is a game changer.
Just make sure to put it well clear of any combustible materials, and crack a couple windows up top just to make sure you get plenty of fresh air and help the condensation escape.

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Sounds promising ! I just bought one of these and I did not want a heater that would blow us out on a lowest setting and this seems perfect to take the "chill" out. Although I have yet to test it in the RTT, I am impressed with its performance . I used a tiny 1lb cylinder on low and it lasted approx 6 hrs, not long. I am still working out the tank sizes I want to carry on the rig and the smaller the better for cooking/heating due to weight. Im thinking of dedicating a 10lb cyl. for the heater and another for cooking. Tank dimensions are the sticking point right now because I want the cylinders low on my rig instead of on the roof and 20lb bottles are fat ! Im trying to find narrow and taller tanks to mount but twin 10lbs seem my only option for 20lbs of capacity :persevere:

Contributor I

I actually didn't think of doing this...I have a variable 15-25k btu garage heater that I may use. We were just going to buy some killer expensive sleeping bags to use in our pull-behind vintage trailer. May still do that, but now we can sleep without our toques on.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
The Mr. Heat heaters are not like a regular propane heater so they don't give off CO. They also have a CO detector and shut off so they theoretically won't kill you like a lantern or other propane heater will.

That said, it still sketches me out to have them on in a tent. They do give off a faint chemical smell that is worrisome...

-M

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Sounds promising ! I just bought one of these and I did not want a heater that would blow us out on a lowest setting and this seems perfect to take the "chill" out. Although I have yet to test it in the RTT, I am impressed with its performance . I used a tiny 1lb cylinder on low and it lasted approx 6 hrs, not long. I am still working out the tank sizes I want to carry on the rig and the smaller the better for cooking/heating due to weight. Im thinking of dedicating a 10lb cyl. for the heater and another for cooking. Tank dimensions are the sticking point right now because I want the cylinders low on my rig instead of on the roof and 20lb bottles are fat ! Im trying to find narrow and taller tanks to mount but twin 10lbs seem my only option for 20lbs of capacity :persevere:
Home Depot online has 11lb skinny tanks for around $55.

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

The Mr. Heat heaters are not like a regular propane heater so they don't give off CO. They also have a CO detector and shut off so they theoretically won't kill you like a lantern or other propane heater will.

That said, it still sketches me out to have them on in a tent. They do give off a faint chemical smell that is worrisome...

-M
Im with you. I don't think I would ever put one in a tent where I may kick it or knock it over but in an RTT w/annex it would be left below on a table out of harms way and the heat can rise into the sleeping area. I could feel secure with it that way and comfy up top im sure :)

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
They shut off when bumped. I ran mine every night for 3 nights on the White Rim trail due to low temps. No issues. I hate breathing super cold air. Plenty of ventilation in my RTT and the heat flows nicely upstairs. Yes, there is a smell and that's because of what is added to the propane gas. Not much can be done about that.

Reactions: Glenn

ElDusto

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Missoula County, Montana, United States
First Name
Dusty
Last Name
S.
Member #

i'm about to pull the trigger on one also..im gonna get the 4000-9000 one ..i don't have an annex so i'll probably fire it up to prep the tent...then as we crash out turn it off..then fire it back up when we wake up...finding a safe spot to put it will be my next challenge.when y'all have the annex on that is open air to your upper tent?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Teh_Viking

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ventura Ca
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Roosendahl
Member #

I have the Big Buddy, Whichever the biggest one is, I used to use it to heat up a basement with the 20lb tank and it worked pretty well considering the sq footage was much higher then the intended use. I wanted to use it in my camper shell setup but it does get pretty hot on the front and about 1-2 ft above the unit. I know I will kick it at night. If you have the ample room it will work great.

Reactions: ElDusto

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
I've used the Mr heater buddy and as others have, I've really only used it for bed time and morning. My wife says I might be getting soft!

Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
I have a rei kingdom 6. With the garage attached. I'm using the buddy heater and putting the heater in the garage. Cracking the back door gets the air flow. No problems.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

nudavinci64

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

San Mateo, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Shopshear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM: KM6LUN GMRS: WRJN599
Good know it works great. I have been hesitant to put a heater into a tent.