Mr Buddy Heater Yes/No

• HTML tutorial

Pindal

Rank V

Influencer II

California
Member #

I got this Mr Buddy Heater to try it out. My sleeping bag is good to 15 degrees but when I poke my head out of the bag I can see my breath. My thoughts were if it was warm in the camper I can sit down and watch TV and not in the bag keeping warm. So I Got one. It works great. I have just a Snug Top Camper nothing big so I been using it in a small space. I turn it on just before getting in the camper to warm it up and I turn it off to sleep but in the morning I turn it on again to warm up the camper to get dress. I have not noticed any fumes of carbon monoxide, but did get a smell of the new burning off but after that it was good and it did warn you it that. The 1 pound propane bottle last about 3.5 hours on high and about 6 hours on low but the way I have been turning it on has lasted about 3 days per bottle. Cranking it up, uses it up. I found the Mr heater Buddy priced around $99.00 but I got this one at Walmart for $74.00 maybe that after winter sale. My dogs love it they found a new place to lay by, the heater. Any one using another type of heater for in the camper?View attachment 87463
Good choice. I have one a year ago and it works well. Only one recommendation. Put it on a solid surface and preferably not very close to the walls or ceiling of the RTT.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
When I was in the market for a small propane heater I looked at them. Depending on which one I looked it had an altitude restriction between 4500' and 6500'. I live at 7000' and do most of my camping between 6000' and 9500' so it wasn't the heater for me.

Pindal

Rank V

Influencer II

California
Member #

When I was in the market for a small propane heater I looked at them. Depending on which one I looked it had an altitude restriction between 4500' and 6500'. I live at 7000' and do most of my camping between 6000' and 9500' so it wasn't the heater for me.
Wow, what an interesting observation. I had not thought about that factor.

gungriffin

Rank 0

Contributor I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
K
What route did you go then?

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

64trvlr, great info. I didn't get that information when I got the heater. I was around 7000 elevation when I couldn't get it to work. Good thing my sleeping bag is good down to 15 degrees. What heater did you go with for those higher elevations?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I used my new Buddy Heater today. Tested it in the garage while wrapping a few gifts. Definitely needs some sort of ventilation.

IMG_4046.JPG

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
for every pound of propane burned you get one pound of water vapour, if you are burning propane in your tent you are gonna get everything damp.
buy a chinese diesel air heater, or planar, or webasto or eberspacher or mikuni .....just warm air folks.
Diesel heaters are NOT a new vanlife accessory, VW have been installing eberspacher into their campers for over 40 years....and nobody died from leaving them switched on over night.
Any kinda propane heater gets a big fat NO from me.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarinRow

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I love my Big Buddy ... I will generally fire it up and let it warm the tent and shut it off before going to bed. I have a Kodiak Canvas (ground tent) and it will generally hold in the heat for several hours. I live in the Ozarks, about 1300 feet above so level, so the altitude has never been an issue for me.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
You'd have to check the specs of whatever blanket you're using and do up some maths.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I have not noticed any fumes of carbon monoxide,
You never will, CO is odourless. What I hate about them is the NEED for "Low Oxygen Safety Shut Off" Id rather not need to rely on that.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
You never will, CO is odourless. What I hate about them is the NEED for "Low Oxygen Safety Shut Off" Id rather not need to rely on that.
Some time ago I bought the Mr. Buddy to use in the back of my pickup in the shell. I found that to leave it on very long it got way too hot to be in there so, like many have already said it was on, then off, to sleep, then on again. I found that Mr. Buddy makes a single burner, round, heater that sits on top of the gas bottle so I bought one for my purposes. I like it better for the small space. I still turn it off when I'm going to sleep but for those in the night moments when I need to pee I turn it on, heat things up, do my thing, let it run for a bit, then turn it off. I like it.

Jetrngr430

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Port St. Lucie, FL, USA
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Miller
Member #

I got this Mr Buddy Heater to try it out. My sleeping bag is good to 15 degrees but when I poke my head out of the bag I can see my breath. My thoughts were if it was warm in the camper I can sit down and watch TV and not in the bag keeping warm. So I Got one. It works great. I have just a Snug Top Camper nothing big so I been using it in a small space. I turn it on just before getting in the camper to warm it up and I turn it off to sleep but in the morning I turn it on again to warm up the camper to get dress. I have not noticed any fumes of carbon monoxide, but did get a smell of the new burning off but after that it was good and it did warn you it that. The 1 pound propane bottle last about 3.5 hours on high and about 6 hours on low but the way I have been turning it on has lasted about 3 days per bottle. Cranking it up, uses it up. I found the Mr heater Buddy priced around $99.00 but I got this one at Walmart for $74.00 maybe that after winter sale. My dogs love it they found a new place to lay by, the heater. Any one using another type of heater for in the camper?View attachment 87463
We also have a Mr. Buddy. Love it. We have a rooftop tent with the annex. It’s a larger tent with two ladders. We usually set up a table behind the ladders and set the Mr. Buddy on it. We run ours off a 30 lb propane tank with a hose and a filter. Rarely do we have to run it above the low setting. It heats the upper sleep are very nicely. We run it all night with the two skylights open. Plenty of ventilation. No issues.

2Tonic

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

SE Michigan
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Lemko
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8AGI
We have had ours for about 1year - very satisfied. Recommend ventilation and running on the low setting as previously mentioned.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

I use my Heater inside my camper shell and it gets too hot, so I turn it on before bed to warm it up and in the morning to warm it up. I recommend checking the connection when installing a new bottle for leaks but other then that it great. If your worried about leaking, you can just remove the bottles from the heater and install it when ready to use. With my 15 degree sleeping bag I find that I don't use the heater that much through the night even when I woke up with 8 inches of snow on my truck.

Reactions: Downs

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I tried out my Mr. Buddy heater for the first time this weekend on a camping trip. Love it!

I put it on a baking sheet inside an 8x10' tent with a cot. Like others would do, I would turn it on while getting ready for bed, then turn it off as I was slipping into my sleeping bag. In the morning I'd turn it on while changing my clothes, and then turn it off when leaving the tent. It warmed up the tent fast!

I had a ton of ventilation in the tent, so that was never an issue.

The morning I left it was cold and snowing - so glad I had it as I was getting dressed and getting ready to break camp.OB Feb.1.jpgOB Feb.10.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Downs and Big G

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

How high of an elevation has someone taking their heater? And did it work fine?
Planning a 9300ft camping trip.