Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bergen County, NJ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Tierno
Member #

Those little buddy heaters are great. I picked up one years ago and have used in my garage, in my trailer, with vents open, and even working in the driveway, even at my old job in the workshop. However I have never used in a tent, would not feel comfortable doing so.

Reactions: Ozzie H

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

Those little buddy heaters are great. I picked up one years ago and have used in my garage, in my trailer, with vents open, and even working in the driveway, even at my old job in the workshop. However I have never used in a tent, would not feel comfortable doing so.
We don’t use it while sleeping, just when we are awake.

Ozzie H

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
First Name
Ozzie
Last Name
Hernandez
Member #

Yea that heater make my wife happy.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Yup. Turn it on when you get in the tent and are getting ready for bed, then turn it off as you're getting into your sleeping bag. Then in the morning turn it on, and wait a few minutes before getting out of your sleeping bag, get dressed (in your nice warm tent), and turn it off as you're unzipping the tent to go outside. I never felt unsafe with it (had lots of ventilation in the tent). Just make sure it isn't going to get anything brushed up against it (like the tent opening fly).

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I got this Mr Buddy Heater to try it out. My sleeping bag is good to 15 degrees but when I poke my head out of the bag I can see my breath. My thoughts were if it was warm in the camper I can sit down and watch TV and not in the bag keeping warm. So I Got one. It works great. I have just a Snug Top Camper nothing big so I been using it in a small space. I turn it on just before getting in the camper to warm it up and I turn it off to sleep but in the morning I turn it on again to warm up the camper to get dress. I have not noticed any fumes of carbon monoxide, but did get a smell of the new burning off but after that it was good and it did warn you it that. The 1 pound propane bottle last about 3.5 hours on high and about 6 hours on low but the way I have been turning it on has lasted about 3 days per bottle. Cranking it up, uses it up. I found the Mr heater Buddy priced around $99.00 but I got this one at Walmart for $74.00 maybe that after winter sale. My dogs love it they found a new place to lay by, the heater. Any one using another type of heater for in the camper?View attachment 87463
Yes sir, it's on my wish list for use in both my tent and my 13' old Scamp trailer depending on what I'm camping in. I cant wait to try one out. Im told propane is useless above 7000' altitude and wondering if there is a conversion valve made for it that will allow butane to be used. Anyone know about that ?

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

I had trouble getting my heater to stay on around 7k elevation. I thought it was due to lack of oxygen. Ok everyone test Time.
Lets get out there this winter and test the heater out in different states and elevation. Lets get some tried and trued results. Did you use in a tent, camper, snug top. Let us know. Now we got a reason for winter camping.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I had trouble getting my heater to stay on around 7k elevation. I thought it was due to lack of oxygen. Ok everyone test Time.
Lets get out there this winter and test the heater out in different states and elevation. Lets get some tried and trued results. Did you use in a tent, camper, snug top. Let us know. Now we got a reason for winter camping.
I found out about the altitude problem here in the forum. I ordered a single burner camp stove that only burned propane. Someone in the forum told me I should have paid a little more to get a duel fuel stove. I asked why, and he said that above 7000' altitude propane won't burn but butane will. So I canceled my first buy and ordered the duel fuel model knowing a lot of my camping will be at the higher altitudes. So you dont have to wait until winter to find out. Cold has nothing to do with the fuel you use, only altitude. You can find out with your cook stove.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Lanlubber, good info. I didn't know about the dual fuel model. I'll have to look into that. I cook over the camp fire when I go out. I have used my propane stove at 8500ft before with no problem. Good information. Thanks

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Lanlubber, good info. I didn't know about the dual fuel model. I'll have to look into that. I cook over the camp fire when I go out. I have used my propane stove at 8500ft before with no problem. Good information. Thanks
I'm going to fact check my info for clarity. It's to important to let it ride.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I got this Mr Buddy Heater to try it out. My sleeping bag is good to 15 degrees but when I poke my head out of the bag I can see my breath. My thoughts were if it was warm in the camper I can sit down and watch TV and not in the bag keeping warm. So I Got one. It works great. I have just a Snug Top Camper nothing big so I been using it in a small space. I turn it on just before getting in the camper to warm it up and I turn it off to sleep but in the morning I turn it on again to warm up the camper to get dress. I have not noticed any fumes of carbon monoxide, but did get a smell of the new burning off but after that it was good and it did warn you it that. The 1 pound propane bottle last about 3.5 hours on high and about 6 hours on low but the way I have been turning it on has lasted about 3 days per bottle. Cranking it up, uses it up. I found the Mr heater Buddy priced around $99.00 but I got this one at Walmart for $74.00 maybe that after winter sale. My dogs love it they found a new place to lay by, the heater. Any one using another type of heater for in the camper?View attachment 87463

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Propane. My old (35 years) Coleman propane camp stove also works fine at that altitude (and a bit higher). I didn't know it wasn't supposed to work :-)
Yeah, after looking deeper into the subject I dont think I would worry as long as the flame has plenty of oxygen. I wish now I had kept the $19 single burner propane stove I had ordered as the info I got wasn't exactly true in all cases. Now I'm out the additional $20 for the duel fuel and extra hose connector for the propane. Oh well, live and learn but you would think someone my age would already know this. I think I did a long time ago and now I know what they mean when they say I forgot more than I know ! :-(