Moving to Cali

• HTML tutorial

Robert W.

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Keller, TX
Member #

Hey all! So just got word that the family and I are headed to Cali from Texas. Looking for any advice for rules of the road when it comes to my Land Rover.

I'm military to it will stay registered in Texas, but what rules do I need to be aware of? Overhead lights? Limb riser cables? Etc?

Thanks and I look forward to a second region!

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
Welcome

Norcal or Socal? Coast or inland... Region will matter, enforcement often varies a lot. I've never had any warning about my lights, but I know opinion on that isn't uniform, and I haven't been pulled over in my rig yet.

Reactions: mmnorthdirections

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Good luck with the move and what part of Ca, are you going to? As far as rules, CHP will be the only problem if any.
All lights above headlights (off road lights) are required to be covered, I have several that are not and have never been stopped nor questioned.
Front license plate required.
Be Cool and thanks for your service, I'm retired AF.....
Reach out if you need a hand you can find my contact info on the Map or I M me.....

Bill S

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Castro Valley, CA
Member #

The front license plate requirement is only if he registers the vehicle in CA. If it remains registered in Texas, then their rule requiring a front license applies. (This was was decided in a criminal case that went to the Supreme Court (US if I remember correctly)).

Good luck with the move and thank you for your service.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Welcome (eventually) to Kalifornistan.

The above are the basics, so I will just add that I have been pulled over for uncovered lights on my roof rack.
It was California Highway Patrol (CHP) and the guy was not in good humor, no quarter given!
The ticket was also for tint that was too dark on the front-seat windows.

I removed both the tint and the lights.

It was a 'fix-it ticket' but a hassle none the less, I think he was trolling for other 'activity' in the area and needed a reason to pull me over.

Lot's to do and see here depends on where you'll be located.

Dan.

Socal Hillbilly

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont
Member #

Plus one for plates, the officer will cite your regardless of vehicle registration; up to you to prove legality. Any extra lights over 18" from the ground have to be totally covered. This goes for backup lights as well. Front windows cant have tint at all and if you have it on the back windows you need both side mirrors. Limb risers..? Never heard of anyone having an issue with them.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Pitts02

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
Plus one for plates, the officer will cite your regardless of vehicle registration; up to you to prove legality. Any extra lights over 18" from the ground have to be totally covered. This goes for backup lights as well. Front windows cant have tint at all and if you have it on the back windows you need both side mirrors. Limb risers..? Never heard of anyone having an issue with them.

Is the light cover enforcement a socal thing? I never see anyone up here with covers, especially on bars.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I heard another option to making lights up high legal is that they default to point straight up.

I've seen some mounts that do this, they hinge and point to the sky, then rotate down/forward when needed, I guess that's legit.
In fact, the one I saw was a LED bar light.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Is the light cover enforcement a socal thing? I never see anyone up here with covers, especially on bars.

Tom I have never had a problem but i/we usually drive the speed limit......

Reactions: Tom K

Kaimana

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Sur
Member #

Not sure if this still applies but I believe tires have a maximum 2"-3" that they are allowed to protrude past the fender. Hopefully someone else can verify this.

Socal Hillbilly

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont
Member #

Im pretty sure its state wide but as I live down here I can only speak to my experiences. Its a $200 fine btw.

And yes pointing them skyward seems to be a trend now. Im not sure how legal it is but it might give you just enough of an edge to have them not ticket you.

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
Apparently part of the issue may where your aux lights are mounted. If they're below 42" above the ground, they are considered "driving lights" and there seems to seem some confusion around how that's enforced. Above that it's more clear you must have covers. All of my lights are below headlight level, so they're in that first category.

"
24402. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not be lighted with the lower beam."

Mind you I have six lights up there total, but I'd never have anything other than my two SAE-certified fog lights on anyway.

HudsonZRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington, USA
First Name
Harley
Last Name
W
Member #

Thanks all, I'm headed South, Camp Pendleton/Oceanside area.

And no worries on the 'Cali' bit, everyone will already know I'm a tourist!
Oh and the most important rule.. You have to put "the" in front all freeway, interstate, and local highway names. "the 405" "the 101" "the 5" hahaha .

Dont worry too much about auxiliary lights, front license plate, etc. Yeah it is a possibility you can get pulled over but I have never been pulled over due to any of those things. I have a great friend who is a police officer and he told me most of the time you just don't get messed with about those kind of things unless you run into a really bored cop.

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

Thanks all, I'm headed South, Camp Pendleton/Oceanside area.

And no worries on the 'Cali' bit, everyone will already know I'm a tourist!

Military folks get pass on the "tourist" thing.

You also get a pass on having to register and SMOG your vehicle in California. Just keep your military ID with you, and you might have to explain this to a rookie cop or CHiPy who stops you.

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

Oh and the most important rule.. You have to put "the" in front all freeway, interstate, and local highway names. "the 405" "the 101" "the 5" hahaha .

Dont worry too much about auxiliary lights, front license plate, etc. Yeah it is a possibility you can get pulled over but I have never been pulled over due to any of those things. I have a great friend who is a police officer and he told me most of the time you just don't get messed with about those kind of things unless you run into a really bored cop.

Only those SOUTHERN California people put "the" in front of freeway numbers. We Northern Californians are normal. That's one way you can always tell a southern Californian.

You only put "the" if you use the tribute/memorial/historical names, such as "The MacArthur Freeway" or "The Nimitz." If you use the number designation you say the number and direction, "Take 5 north" or "then go 101 south."