Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Does it have to be an older truck or can you get a newer one budget wise? I've seen comments on the 3th gen Tacoma everywhere.. why not get a 4th gen? or a Tundra :P

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

The older I get, the more I enjoy full size suv’s and pickups. For what it’s worth, maybe spend some time behind the wheel of those. This is coming from someone who sold back a 3rd gen Tacoma after justs a few months of ownership.
I have test driven a few.
I have 3rd gen up for sale as we speak. Its only 4 months old and built. I just dont love it

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

Does it have to be an older truck or can you get a newer one budget wise? I've seen comments on the 3th gen Tacoma everywhere.. why not get a 4th gen? or a Tundra :P
I have a 3rd gen tacoma. I am just not into the Tundra, I wanted to like it, for me the tundra offroad package needs a locker, and maybe a few other items for me.
This is why I keep leaning towards the Power Wagon.
Every truck I have bought in my life, I ended up adding a winch, a locker if it did not have one, a small lift. So I find myself saying for the price I could get a 1-2 yr. old Power wagon for the same price as a tundra and then all I need to add is tires and some sliders.

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

My only concern with the power wagon is that it’s an FCA product. I’m sure this has been discussed elsewhere though?
it is a concern of mine as well.
Most of family solely drive's Fords and Dodges, some old, some new. Most hold up. I have asked a few different people on a few different forums about the PW longevity. The answer I get is always the same the engine will not die. The cosmetic stuff will show up should be easy to spot with routine maintenance. depending on how you drive the truck, at some point you will replace shocks, ball joints and sway bar.
In all my old toyota's , I had to do this stuff as well. I think the great thing about the older Toyota stuff, is that it is really easy to fix no matter where you are in the world. I have heard the 3rd gen stuff , can create some issues outside the U.S. My guess is this is the same story with FCA parts

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

My only concern with the power wagon is that it’s an FCA product. I’m sure this has been discussed elsewhere though?
To give you a opinion from the other side...
FCA or to name it... Fiat is one of the biggest and most reliable sources for commercial vehicles in europe and especially Southern Europe.
VM-motori engines run hundreds of thousands kilometers with fully loaded commercial vans.

Just a different point of view.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Another point of view:
Full size American trucks are very heavy. Way heavier than your little Tacoma. Heavy trucks sink really well in mud. Light trucks skitter across the top... there are quite a few advantages to lightweight vehicles.

James

Reactions: MazeVX

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Because all FCA products are bad? Omg, does it really matter who owns what brand any more? There are good and bad in all manufacturers. My wife's Fiat 500 has been a great little car from the very first day that we drove it off the new car lot in 2013. No squeaks, rattles, oil leaks, or anything else that is bad. As a matter of fact, our next vehicle will be a Jeep to go along with our 4Runner & Fiat.

Reactions: MazeVX and Jgallo1

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

Another point of view:
Full size American trucks are very heavy. Way heavier than your little Tacoma. Heavy trucks sink really well in mud. Light trucks skitter across the top... there are quite a few advantages to lightweight vehicles.

James
They are, there will be some adjustments but my old fj62 and fj80 all built, were not very light .