Member III

Bury St Edmunds, UK
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Bardsley
Member #

Hello!
I'm a new member and I'm going to be moving to the UK very soon. I was hoping I could get some help with questions. I'm planning on shipping my 2005 Tacoma to the UK. Would anybody happen to know how much road taxes are on a vehicle like mine? It has a 4.0 v6 and it's 4wd. I'm asking because I figured this forum would have the most people with a similar pickup to mine. Any info would be very helpful! Thanks in advance and I hope you're having a good day!

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
My questions have to do with the MOT. Will they accept fairly radical modifications? How about restrictions on left hand drive?

Tacobard

Rank II
Launch Member

Member III

Bury St Edmunds, UK
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Bardsley
Member #

I know of a lot of military members who have modified, left hand drive vehicles so it should be fine.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Do you have emissions testing? If it passes here in the USA, will it pass there? Are the levels similar?

Reactions: Tacobard

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Hello!
I'm a new member and I'm going to be moving to the UK very soon. I was hoping I could get some help with questions. I'm planning on shipping my 2005 Tacoma to the UK. Would anybody happen to know how much road taxes are on a vehicle like mine? It has a 4.0 v6 and it's 4wd. I'm asking because I figured this forum would have the most people with a similar pickup to mine. Any info would be very helpful! Thanks in advance and I hope you're having a good day!
Look forward to welcoming you when you get here. Where are you going to be based and we can get you introduced to your local members.

Road tax calculator can be found here.

Calculate vehicle tax rates

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
My questions have to do with the MOT. Will they accept fairly radical modifications? How about restrictions on left hand drive?
Radical modifications are generally accepted, just look at the modified Land Rovers over here. I believe if the modifications are structural it requires further testing but otherwise "should" be ok.

The modifications may make your insurance premiums sky rocket though assuming you can find someone willing to take you on.
I would be looking and speaking to insurance companies in advance if I were you just to see what cover you can get and how much.

Reactions: Tacobard

vandrarphoto

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

USA
First Name
Vanessa
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Radical modifications are generally accepted, just look at the modified Land Rovers over here. I believe if the modifications are structural it requires further testing but otherwise "should" be ok.

The modifications may make your insurance premiums sky rocket though assuming you can find someone willing to take you on.
I would be looking and speaking to insurance companies in advance if I were you just to see what cover you can get and how much.
@Tacobard

I imported my US Jeep last year and it took me nine months to get through the registration process. Modifications will be a problem. I had to put stock bumpers and wheels back on mine to get through the IVA inspection - that's a separate inspection from MOT - and what you need to actually import the vehicle before you can license it or get a MOT inspection. Once I got through IVA, I put everything back on. Passing a MOT is simple though. If you're military, talk to the guys you know over here, there might be places that are a bit more lenient. I'm not military, live in London but did my IVA in Norfolk because that was the best appointment I could get.

LINK to IVA info:

Last edited: