Rank VI

Influencer I

Woodstock, Vermont, United States
First Name
Gunnar
Last Name
Nourse
Member #

My girlfriend and I have this potentially amazing opportunity in front of us this spring, and I'm curious if anyone else on here has, or is currently, utilizing the Kampground of America system to work, and travel across the US? Currently, we live in Vermont and want to get out an explore more. This has been a long conversation beginning last year and we have been accepted into one of the KoA's in South Carolina, so we are excited to get on with our journey. I'm more curious on how people "make it work". I still have bills to pay and we are setting up to work beyond the "required" hours of the KoA to get some income. Beyond the obvious, don't spend so much, and pay down what you can, is there any other suggestions anyone on here has to offer?

Reactions: Kent R

24RobM

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Wiggins, MS, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
McKinnell
Member #

Stay in places where cost of living is cheap. Skills are pretty much always in demand in places where I am (Southern Mississippi) and living is SUPER cheap.

Reactions: Ursa Major

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I've seen plenty of nice little RV parks and marinas with full time engineers, software developers, nurses, welders, etc. making up the majority of guests. In my strange experience, it is more common than many realize and can be done very affordably. KOAs are typically very well run and built nicely. They are a little too parkish for my tastes, but at least we know the facilities won’t look like a crime scene and we can always get a spot for the night. I’ll take KOA over any hotel.

My tip, get your finances squared away first and be pragmatic. Get debt free and on a budget and make sure you are bringing in WAY more than what you spend. Have a bank account padded enough to replace everything with new and in cash. Do not assume you’ll want to live that way forever, and plan strategically like you desperately want to get out of the situation. I can’t understate the importance enough because I’ve also known the same types of successful people mentioned earlier that did not plan well, and are now living involuntarily in very crappy RV parks until some of them died miserably from medical issues, drug overdoses and violence.

It can be done, just be smart about it.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
No but sounds like a good gig for a young couple. Be advised tho, you're working and time off may be tough to explore.
And finally, you're welcome in Missouri, we have plenty of space.
Zim

Ursa Major

Rank VI

Influencer I

Woodstock, Vermont, United States
First Name
Gunnar
Last Name
Nourse
Member #

I've seen plenty of nice little RV parks and marinas with full time engineers, software developers, nurses, welders, etc. making up the majority of guests. In my strange experience, it is more common than many realize and can be done very affordably. KOAs are typically very well run and built nicely. They are a little too parkish for my tastes, but at least we know the facilities won’t look like a crime scene and we can always get a spot for the night. I’ll take KOA over any hotel.

My tip, get your finances squared away first and be pragmatic. Get debt free and on a budget and make sure you are bringing in WAY more than what you spend. Have a bank account padded enough to replace everything with new and in cash. Do not assume you’ll want to live that way forever, and plan strategically like you desperately want to get out of the situation. I can’t understate the importance enough because I’ve also known the same types of successful people mentioned earlier that did not plan well, and are now living involuntarily in very crappy RV parks until some of them died miserably from medical issues, drug overdoses and violence.

It can be done, just be smart about it.
I'm always looking to better myself and add skills to my figurative tool belt. Sounds, to me, that continuing to add skills is a good way to stay relevant no matter where we end up headed. I've always wanted to learn to weld! Lol

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I'm always looking to better myself and add skills to my figurative tool belt. Sounds, to me, that continuing to add skills is a good way to stay relevant no matter where we end up headed. I've always wanted to learn to weld! Lol
No, at least not what I’ve seen. I threw out the trades of many people I’ve known. Those were a variety of dedicated trades, many years of development before they could start moving around. Your initial post did not indicate you had taken that step. Even for them, gig living has boom and bust cycles as demand for labor and skills fluctuates. Unless you are very disciplined, the urge to over spend when things are good will result in you being broke when things aren’t.

Learning is good, most regional community and tech colleges have affordable welding classes but it takes regular use to stay really good at it. I learned on the farm and refined that in a high school welding class. It’s a good skill, I also build all of our stuff like the roof and boat racks, camper, etc.

If I were to travel full time, I’d get a RELIABLE internet based service job so you can still get paid on rainy days and provides retirement, insurance, etc regardless of where you are. Many I’ve met around the country went that route. Then pick up the fun skills on the sides as hobbies in your free time.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
My girlfriend and I have this potentially amazing opportunity in front of us this spring, and I'm curious if anyone else on here has, or is currently, utilizing the Kampground of America system to work, and travel across the US? Currently, we live in Vermont and want to get out an explore more. This has been a long conversation beginning last year and we have been accepted into one of the KoA's in South Carolina, so we are excited to get on with our journey. I'm more curious on how people "make it work". I still have bills to pay and we are setting up to work beyond the "required" hours of the KoA to get some income. Beyond the obvious, don't spend so much, and pay down what you can, is there any other suggestions anyone on here has to offer?
Interesting idea, kind of like a USFS campground host but the some more money. You might post this question on our full time page also.
Good luck with your adventure and please keep the community updated how it turns out.