Moved to Death Valley (adventure thread)

• HTML tutorial

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

White rim can be done in a day, but it's a long day. How's the tail end of EJS? Must be a little crazy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app
I didn't know about EJS. I sure do now. I got some odd looks at the gas station like" does he know he's not a jeep?" It was packed and crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Homeguy

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Went to dead horse state park yesterday. I think if you are in the area it's definitely worth checking out.

I also went to canyonlands national park. I have always wanted to go and I was not disappointed. I was going to check out shafer trail down the switch backs or even take it back to Moab. The road doesn't sound too bad. I was reading a lot of mixed reviews but I think the people freaking out probably aren't use to roads like that and shouldn't have gone in the first place. Talked to the ranger a bit about it and decided not to go. Since I'm moving I have a ton of stuff in my rig. Its so heavy and doesn't handle super great loaded down and I have that one blown shock. So I decided it wasn't worth the risk.

I do want to go back and do that or white rim road or a combination of roads. I will have to do a little research. I was thinking when it starts to cool down in October but I'm not sure if they get rains or anything around then.
Once I start figuring out a plan I will post it and see if anyone on here is interested. Making a small group ride? We will see.

Also on the way to dead horse I found a little dirt road that looked like it went out to a cool view point. Im sure it did but it started to get a little crazy and was longer than I though so I turned back. At one point i was pretty off camber and could almost kiss the dirt without taking off a seatbelt. Normally this type of road wouldn't bother me but just not this trip.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Last night I went to my storage unit to pile it high with my crap. I would like to in the not too distant future move into my own place and not move around so much and not live in tiny dorms and such. I would like to move back to Tempe Az but right now I don't have any skills that can get me a steady enough job without living paycheck to packcheck and working a few jobs. So for now I'll take the jobs in cool places and provide food and a roof and adventure.
Today I don't have much planned. Its Easter. So that's a big thing to people. Im thinking of driving into Vegas and getting a room and finding a buffet and then a roulette wheel haha. That would make a good final night before starting my new job tomorrow.
I emailed the Monte Carlo. its where I have stayed most trips there. Its still on the cheaper side and I like their garage. Its pretty well lit and clean. So I feel like no one is going to steal my crap. Well. Not as much as other places. Since My rig is taller than last time I was there I emailed them and they said 8ft is the max height for the garage. Im just at 7ft. I might inspect things myself before driving in though.

The hwy signs were all Easter themed.
This is the only one I got a picture of.

You are welcome

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Leaving Vegas soon. Ate food, gambled , won, lost, and slept like a rock.

It is going to be interesting working in Death Valley. I am not sure what the Wifi and cell reception situation is. Probably hit or miss. Hopefully I can get situated and working immediately and be ready for adventure soon. Much to explore

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

awesome that's just around the corner from me. I live in ridgecrest, lots to do out there. check out my adventure thread here
and remember keep plenty of water on hand :)
if you end up out there into November definitely try to go to panamint valley days, lots of fun to be had during that.
Thanks! I checked out your adventure thread and marked down a few spots to the list. Awesome.

Neb_Sojourner

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

York Nebraska, USA
Member #

Went to dead horse state park yesterday. I think if you are in the area it's definitely worth checking out.

I also went to canyonlands national park. I have always wanted to go and I was not disappointed. I was going to check out shafer trail down the switch backs or even take it back to Moab. The road doesn't sound too bad. I was reading a lot of mixed reviews but I think the people freaking out probably aren't use to roads like that and shouldn't have gone in the first place. Talked to the ranger a bit about it and decided not to go. Since I'm moving I have a ton of stuff in my rig. Its so heavy and doesn't handle super great loaded down and I have that one blown shock. So I decided it wasn't worth the risk.

I do want to go back and do that or white rim road or a combination of roads. I will have to do a little research. I was thinking when it starts to cool down in October but I'm not sure if they get rains or anything around then.
Once I start figuring out a plan I will post it and see if anyone on here is interested. Making a small group ride? We will see.

Also on the way to dead horse I found a little dirt road that looked like it went out to a cool view point. Im sure it did but it started to get a little crazy and was longer than I though so I turned back. At one point i was pretty off camber and could almost kiss the dirt without taking off a seatbelt. Normally this type of road wouldn't bother me but just not this trip.

Beautiful area, great pics!

Neb_Sojourner

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

York Nebraska, USA
Member #

Last night I went to my storage unit to pile it high with my crap. I would like to in the not too distant future move into my own place and not move around so much and not live in tiny dorms and such. I would like to move back to Tempe Az but right now I don't have any skills that can get me a steady enough job without living paycheck to packcheck and working a few jobs. So for now I'll take the jobs in cool places and provide food and a roof and adventure.
Today I don't have much planned. Its Easter. So that's a big thing to people. Im thinking of driving into Vegas and getting a room and finding a buffet and then a roulette wheel haha. That would make a good final night before starting my new job tomorrow.
I emailed the Monte Carlo. its where I have stayed most trips there. Its still on the cheaper side and I like their garage. Its pretty well lit and clean. So I feel like no one is going to steal my crap. Well. Not as much as other places. Since My rig is taller than last time I was there I emailed them and they said 8ft is the max height for the garage. Im just at 7ft. I might inspect things myself before driving in though.

The hwy signs were all Easter themed.
This is the only one I got a picture of.

You are welcome

We had the same messages on in I-80 boards in Nebraska this weekend...lol

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Okay so I made it to DV. Its interesting so far. When I showed up the managers were in a meeting so an employee told me to just " hang loose". I did that for a while. Eventually found the HR person. She's nice. They haven't really told me much. They gave me a tour pointing to what buildings are what. The other employees aren't saying much. They are kinda weird. Im staying in the motel because they don't know where I'm going to be in employee housing yet. I just got a roomate in the hotel room. So I guess housing is full. I figure some employees must be leaving soon. Then we will move in to their spots. But no one has actually said that. Or. Anything.

Well. Tomorrow I do paperwork and meet my boss. And maybe start work. Im guessing.

First impressions are rough sometimes. All part of the adventure.

Since I had nothing to do. I went to the mesquite sand dunes

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I remember I had a job in Teton national park along time ago, and the first couple days were pretty much the same as you're describing. Give it time and you'll find your groove.

And you may or may not have a future in photography. Those are some nice pics.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I remember I had a job in Teton national park along time ago, and the first couple days were pretty much the same as you're describing. Give it time and you'll find your groove.

And you may or may not have a future in photography. Those are some nice pics.

Thanks! I am just using my iPhone5 and a easy editing app. I hope to get a real camera soon. Gotta get working!

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Had a bit of a sandstorm today. At sunset things started looking extra interesting so I went out on the sand dunes again for some pictures. I have so much sand in my beard. And. Everywhere.

Reactions: JCarter

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Okay. Been in Death Valley a few days now. They finally let me start work. Finally got me into a dorm room.
I am not super happy with this place. Most of the upper manegment doesn't seem to have their act together about anything. No one here really does. The employees aren't my type of crowd. Lot of young kids that like to get high and drive around and just hanging out around the dorms drinking. The dorms are pretty below standards. I wasn't expecting much but these dorms are neglected. Not just dirty but filthy. The bathroom smells like cat piss or I don't even know what. All the little things add up and they way they treat employees like they are just livestock or something.

Over all not what I was expecting and things get weirder and worse each day. I am hoping I can just keep to myself and make some money while I apply to some new places.

If I hadn't spent all my money getting here I'd probably have left already.

There is another resort down the road run by a more reputable company that im familiar with and it looks much nicer I put in an application it be a short move. Fingers crossed.

On a more positive note. The sand dunes are near by so ive been out there a few times. Pretty cool pictures. Also walked around the devils cornfield.

Reactions: kg6zjl

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Okay though things aren't going very well out here, I'm not gonna let it stop me from exploring when I have the time. They gave me today off so I went on a hike to Darwin Falls Near Panamint Springs. Coworkers told me that you can scramble to the upper Falls and upper upper Falls. So I did that too.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I have been working a lot trying to earn some money. I haven't decided how long I am going to stay here yet.

Some coworkers and I rented a jeep from down the road to take out on some cool roads. We didn't take my Xterra because of my blown shock and some other things I need to fix. Most importantly I can only fit one person. Hahah. It was a good time the roads were really bad in some spots but okay in others. A few steep climbs and descents. Overall it was a good time. I wish I had mapped it out to share. Maybe I can plot it out later.

Here's some pics. Please don't show my X (terra)

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
With the hiring freeze lifted you should be able to find a new job on USAJOBS.gov pretty quick, now. Today, I was officially offered my new job in Denver, Colorado. Keep your head up and don't let the job get you down. We have a saying in the AF - "The worst assignment is the one you are at and the best is the one you just left". Of course, the Army has one too - "Embrace the suck".

Reactions: Rogue Beardsman