Moved to Death Valley (adventure thread)

• HTML tutorial

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

After a few tough months of being unemployed and staying with family, I have found my next adventure.
I got a job in Death Valley National Park with Death Valley Lodging Company. I will be working at Stovepipe Wells!
On Wednesday April 12th I will be starting my road trip from New Jersey to Death Valley National Park.
The plan now is to try to stop at Arches and Canyonlands if i have the time. I also need to stop at my storage unit in St George Utah and make it to death valley on Monday the 17th. I have driven cross country a bunch of times so i have learned to go with the flow and adjust along the way.

Once I arrive in Death Valley i'm sure ill be put to work right away and be working 40 hrs a week. However, once i am settled and figure out me weekends i plan on exploring death Valley and areas close enough for a weekend trip.

I have already been to the Racetrack but i'm sure i will make it out there again.
Other areas i will probably check out this summer would be:
Yosemite,King/Sequoia, Mohave Preserve,Alabama Hills, and i forget some of the others.
I will be out there until October or longer. Any suggestions would be appreciated and i will add them to my list.
This will be the 4th National Park that I will have lived and worked in. In my experience, after a while you hear from locals and start to find out where the ghost towns and "secret"spots aren't readily researchable online and in books.

I will try to keep my Adventures updated on here and on my Instagram : on_adventure_

Last edited:

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Packed up and ready to start my trip tomorrow.
I will try to leave early and knock out some seriously mileage the first day. Hopefully I can make good time to let me Adventure a bit before Monday.
Got my roof bins full and secure.

I also managed to pack so I can reach my cooler from the drivers seat.
The front passenger seat folds flat so its pretty awesome and convenient. Cold drinks! Woo

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

awesome that's just around the corner from me. I live in ridgecrest, lots to do out there. check out my adventure thread here
and remember keep plenty of water on hand :)
if you end up out there into November definitely try to go to panamint valley days, lots of fun to be had during that.

Reactions: Rogue Beardsman

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I am jealous right now, Mid July I won't be quite as much. But working at National Park would be awesome even when it is 120 degrees.

Last edited:

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Thanks all! Today wasn't as productive as I would have liked. Only made it 650 miles. Hit a lot of construction and accidents. Hwy was closed and had to re route twice.
Also there was a huge pot hole and when I hit it I blew the rear passenger shock. The radflos have a valve on the side for rebuilding I guess. It broke or something hit it. Ill have to inspect tomorrow. Pretty pissed about it. But oh well. It happens. I was going to drive through the night but I'm exhausted.

Dominic OB0158

US West Region Member Rep
Founder 500
Benefactor
Launch Member

Member II

Perris Ca
First Name
Dominic
Last Name
Moschetti
Member #

Thanks all! Today wasn't as productive as I would have liked. Only made it 650 miles. Hit a lot of construction and accidents. Hwy was closed and had to re route twice.
Also there was a huge pot hole and when I hit it I blew the rear passenger shock. The radflos have a valve on the side for rebuilding I guess. It broke or something hit it. Ill have to inspect tomorrow. Pretty pissed about it. But oh well. It happens. I was going to drive through the night but I'm exhausted.

Be safe east coast kid...I've done the drive many times from Philadelphia, if your not in a rush...be sure to take in the sites along the way...ob#0158

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Congrats, on your new job. I am in the same boat - unemployed and waiting for the final approval on my new job in Denver. I will be there for a year before my wife moves up there to be with me. I will definitely look for you if/when I am in your neck of the desert.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR

Hey if you need help along the way, post up. I would gladly help if you were passing through my area.

You won't make it that far West though. Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Made it to Burlington Colorado!

Today was mostly driving but I saw a big windchime. And a big rocking chair.I probably wouldn't have stopped but I needed gas. There was a bunch of other big stuff there but I didn't feel like looking for it. The few people I met weren't very welcoming. Oh well!

Reactions: Mike G

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Quick update
Made it moab yesterday. Went to Arches National Park. Today I'm going to go to Dead Horse Point State Park and Canyonlands. I will definitely have to plan a trip for this area. All the off road trails Moab has and there are roads in Canyonlands I wish I could take like the White Rim Road.
Ill post up some pictures soon.