Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

This is a 67 Design setup on my 4Runner and although I love the design, the price was not kind.
What's awesome about it though is how minimally invasive it is. I mount my phone on it and it's at my finger tips with my right hand at 2:00. It also doesn't block anything on the dash.
IMG_E2923.JPG

I hate that y'all have to cover up the cool gauges on the FJ. Is there no way to mount this stuff lower? Especially since, in all reality, you don't need it at eye level 24/7. I know we all like to feel like fighter jet pilots but it seems like a lot.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I hammered this out of some tin cans..................ah....................kidding. Bent some sheetmetal, welded up a dash mount which was almost impossible to bolt to the dash and bought some RAM mounts. Big on in the middle is for the ipad and smaller one is Garmin.
Zim
65470455334--13D18A15-9451-405F-AFD8-BF7BC9A6326E.JPG

Reactions: Blu12T

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
Has anyone with dash mounts found that their phone cameras break with constant overlanding?

I come from a motorcycle biased camping experience and know that quad lock introduced a vibration mount to save the image sensors on newer phones
Not sure if my quad lock x ram mount solution should also use the vibration killer from my bike

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Has anyone with dash mounts found that their phone cameras break with constant overlanding?

I come from a motorcycle biased camping experience and know that quad lock introduced a vibration mount to save the image sensors on newer phones
Not sure if my quad lock x ram mount solution should also use the vibration killer from my bike
No but I imagine the constant rattling around would screw with the stabilization mode. Wonder if you can turn it off?
Zim

Reactions: HighVoltOverland

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
I suppose it is cheap insurance to just throw on the vibe killer as a just-in-case

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I suppose it is cheap insurance to just throw on the vibe killer as a just-in-case
I've never given the vibration in a vehicle mount a second thought. In my opinion the vibration that occurs through a vehicle mount is much less than on a motorcycle. The Quadlock vibration damper I installed on my motorcycle mount actually lets the phone wobble more than with out. It's my assumption it is the consistent high frequency vibrations from a motorcycles handlebars and frame that has the potential to screw up camera sensors, not necessarily rough road vibrations.

Last edited:

Oliver_29d3c7

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
Oliver
Last Name
Kanervikkoaho
I am using a Ram mount connected to the seat bolt on the passenger side. This let's my wife put her phone on her side in landscape so she can watch movies while we are out on a road trip. THe amateur radio in the photo ended up getting replaced with a new radio that is mounted on the far left side of the dash at the A pillar.

I went with the Ram mount so I wouldn't have to drill holes in the console (yet). I'll wait a while before I start popping holes into my truck.

20211203_170622(1).jpg

4X3Lander

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

California, United States
First Name
Don
Last Name
4X3Lander
Member #

I don't listen to music when with the family and for myself, would rather enjoy the sounds of everything around me. That said, I removed the OEM radio and made a quick u-shaped bracket and mounted my RAM Mount balls to this. In which, I use RAM Mounts for my iPhone and my iPad Mini. LOVE RAM!

IMG_0658.jpg

Enthusiast III

West Yorkshire, UK
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Thresh
Thanks y'all.

I knew about Expedition Essentials mount, but didn't like how it mounts. I also don't think you should pay that much and have to modify your vehicle to make it work. I grabbed one that mounts to the FJ's dash without having to remove anything or do any drilling.

I slapped a RAM Tough Track to the top of it. I also heard about 67 Designs before, but $60 for a base track is very much outside my comfort zone. The $12 RAM track works great. So do the rest of the items I got from RAM.

I'm happy with my setup. Especially considering that I paid ~$150 for all of it. We'll see how it does on the trail. Haven't been able to take it out yet because some dumb-dumb broke into the FJ, so I had to replace the rear window.

View attachment 251491
Now I do like that my friend, however the brain is in overdrive thinking of away I could make something similar, hhhmmm!!!! lets think.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Check out Expedition Essentials. I got the Ram mount for my ram and I am super happy with it. Lots of options for mounting points too. I have a phone, mic, ipad and gopro mounted and there are usb plugs right there to charge. It does mount in the middle but with the numerous mounting options from Ram I can get shorter or longer arms to position everything where I need it. Still have room for mounting more if I wanted to.
FJ mount
I would love to add the Expedition Essentials mount to my Ram if they would ever come back in stock!

I'm currently running the Bulletpoint dash mount and coupling it with 67 Designs Mag mount for my phone but it not stable enough and my phone ends up going flying. Hard to say if it's the mag mount or the Bulletpoint setup, I generally like 67 Designs Arms and mounts and prefer them over Ram mounts as they stay put off pavement.

donmontalvo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
First Name
Don
Last Name
Montalvo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UNA
Service Branch
US Army Veteran
We bought something similar to the Bison mount for our 4Runner (by ICS Fab), but it ended up being too small and no good spot for the beefy tablet mount, which best works with a forward facing RAM mount. So I bolted an aluminum profile on top, and that's been working much better. You can get the ICS mount with USB power (hardwired), which is quite handy.

View attachment 247601 View attachment 247602
Just stumbled onto this thread. I don't like to have stuff mounted at or above the dash level, so I h ave my HAM/GMS mounted to a seat rail mounted Lido Mount kit. Very sturdy, and can be removed/hidden in a couple seconds.

The Lido Mount seems to be wearing out, where the plastic parts are not as sturdy as they were when I first bought and set things up.

So I bought a RAM Mounts RAM-VB-186-SW2, which is all metal, and attaches to both seat rail front bolts. The only problem is the front seat rail bolt on the left is flat, but the one on the right is 45 degrees or so.

I'm trying to figure out if I can cobble together a piece of metal that'll be angled right for the right side seat bolt. The kit did say some fabrication may be needed.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
We bought something similar to the Bison mount for our 4Runner (by ICS Fab), but it ended up being too small and no good spot for the beefy tablet mount, which best works with a forward facing RAM mount. So I bolted an aluminum profile on top, and that's been working much better. You can get the ICS mount with USB power (hardwired), which is quite handy.

View attachment 247601 View attachment 247602
Just stumbled onto this thread. I don't like to have stuff mounted at or above the dash level, so I h ave my HAM/GMS mounted to a seat rail mounted Lido Mount kit. Very sturdy, and can be removed/hidden in a couple seconds.

The Lido Mount seems to be wearing out, where the plastic parts are not as sturdy as they were when I first bought and set things up.

So I bought a RAM Mounts RAM-VB-186-SW2, which is all metal, and attaches to both seat rail front bolts. The only problem is the front seat rail bolt on the left is flat, but the one on the right is 45 degrees or so.

I'm trying to figure out if I can cobble together a piece of metal that'll be angled right for the right side seat bolt. The kit did say some fabrication may be needed.
Definitely not a huge fan of the cluttered dash with all the mounts. Had a vector bar in my JKUR with minimal mounts and was not a fan of even the plain bar. Functional, yes. But not a fan of cluttered crap.

Reactions: donmontalvo

Shawn686

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Canada
I just switched to quad lock heads with ram mount arms and mounts. I just like how clean the quad lock head are compared to ram etc with arms all over the place. So far I love it . I am using the Qi quadlock head, with the vibration isolator, because why not?, on a 4 inch ram arm on the dash of my truck.

Shawn

donmontalvo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
First Name
Don
Last Name
Montalvo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UNA
Service Branch
US Army Veteran
I just switched to quad lock heads with ram mount arms and mounts. I just like how clean the quad lock head are compared to ram etc with arms all over the place. So far I love it . I am using the Qi quadlock head, with the vibration isolator, because why not?, on a 4 inch ram arm on the dash of my truck.

Shawn
I just contacted RAM Mounts to see if they can cut/vend/drill a piece of metal so I can use their product in my 2021 JLUR.

Some intern suggested I spend more money on another one of their products. #lol

Option 1:
Fabrication-option-01.png

Option 2:
1684782683696.png

Last edited: