Mounting an awning with no roof rack?

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Ojai, CA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Mason
Has anyone found a solution to mount an awning to their vehicle ( I have a 19 tacoma) WITHOUT a full on roof rack? I really want an awning but dont want/ need a full roof rack system

Thanks!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Has anyone found a solution to mount an awning to their vehicle ( I have a 19 tacoma) WITHOUT a full on roof rack? I really want an awning but dont want/ need a full roof rack system

Thanks!
So your roof is 'naked'? You could just get an inexpensive cross bar system. Yakima has cross bar systems that should probably click on to your roof so you don't have to drill holes.

Fanboy86

Rank I

Contributor III

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Jason
Last Name
LeBrun
Do you have factory side rails? If you do, its pretty easy to rig up a few L brackets that mount via bolts to the back of the awning, and u bolts that wrap around your side bars.

Contributor I

Ojai, CA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Mason
So your roof is 'naked'? You could just get an inexpensive cross bar system. Yakima has cross bar systems that should probably click on to your roof so you don't have to drill holes.
Yeah there’s nothing on it right now. I was hoping to avoid cross bars and racking all together. I feel like there should be some solution where it’s essentially one side of the cross bar, maybe just the mounts and brackets but without the bar. I might have to DIY it

Contributor I

Ojai, CA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Mason
Do you have factory side rails? If you do, its pretty easy to rig up a few L brackets that mount via bolts to the back of the awning, and u bolts that wrap around your side bars.
There’s nothing on there now. I’m thinking I might have to create a solution that’s just the mounts and brackets minus the cross bars, and mount the awning that way. I want to avoid cross bars all together

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Dorado County, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

Check out the Smittybilt trail shade. IMG_3146.JPG
Attaches to lots of different places. Super versatile. Not mounted full time. I wanted a shade for the side of my tent and was able to use this. It's pretty cheap too.