Launch Member

Contributor I

Janesville, CA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Oblander
Member #

I have an 8 x 8 ft awning that I had mounted to the roof rack of the camper shell one my Ram 2500 Mega Cab. It worked well like this, but posed several problems: 1) the cross bars are over 7 feet off the ground, so accessing the awning was tricky; 2) accessing the roof basket over the awning was even trickier, even when using a tire-mounted step.

To fix this problem, I had considered getting a 6 ft awning, so it doesn’t extend past the camper shell, and bolting it directly to the camper shell right above its window. Has anyone tried this?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

DrivinBettyWhite

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cottage Grove, Oregon
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Army
I mounted my tepui awning over the passenger side of my Tacoma camper window like you’re suggesting.. if you’re going to do this you might need 2 longer bolts and washers cause if you mount it flush to shell it will be angled upwards.. put a few washers between the top bolts and shell to make it level.

R/Tom Jones

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

TimoToothousand

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Janesville, CA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Oblander
Member #

I mounted my tepui awning over the passenger side of my Tacoma camper window like you’re suggesting.. if you’re going to do this you might need 2 longer bolts and washers cause if you mount it flush to shell it will be angled upwards.. put a few washers between the top bolts and shell to make it level.

R/Tom Jones

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Thanks for the feedback! I was planning on using some standoffs to hold it at least 1/2” away from the shell anyway, just because the camper shell surface is not likely to be a perfect plane.

Have you had any issues with snagging trees or anything like that?

DrivinBettyWhite

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cottage Grove, Oregon
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Army
Like I said I bolted the bottom two bolts straight to camper and top two bolts I used a few washers to make it as level as I could. I’ve had a few branches get caught between awning and camper and everything was fine just ripped the branch. Just one of those things that time will tell.