Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

THAT is SWEET!!!!

A few questions...

What is the wheel size?

How tall are you and what do you weigh?

And the frame builder is whom?

I really don't know much about these off-road bicycles... but always curious to learn!
The wheels are 29". The rims are We Are One Composite, rear Triad 30mm width and front Fuse 33mm width. Tires are 29x2.5 rear and 29x2.6 front.

I'm 6' 200lb

Frame builder is Velouria out of Spain.

Reactions: Joaquin Suave

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Waterford Township, MI, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

Thanks!
It gives me more perspective to the scale. I really like how they dealt with the chainstays at the BB. Back when I had my frame built by a buddy there were no really fat tire 26" rims, so thing are "tight" down there on my bike.

I guess at some point in time I could modify the frame sort of like I did to have a cam-centric BB shell ( like the front bb on tandems) so i could run the Rohloff. :grinning:

View attachment 249221
The solid bar/plate at the BB is a somewhat common solution for the latest frames to gain tire clearance and still allow a reasonable size chainring. The one pictured is a 34T, which the frame builder claimed was the largest that would fit, but I'm positive a 36 would fit with plenty of clearance. My Salsa Timberjack Ti has a similar solution. Along with the adjustable dropouts the Salsa will fit a 29x2.6 with tons of room. I run a Vittoria Agarro 29x2.6, which is a touch in the small side for a 2.6, on the Salsa and the dropouts are adjusted to be right in the middle.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
27ABF442-201E-4B52-A55E-8546AF1F32A0.jpeg3238BC6C-0039-4CC6-81C2-434309840B6B.jpeg
These are the most current, but not accurate, pictures of my gravel grinder build. It’s a Trek 520 Grando 56” frame running 29x2.0” Bontrager XR Team Issue Tubless tires, PNW Coast Suspension Dropper Post, Bontrager MIK Disk Deluxe Rear rack, RockBros Handle Bar Bag, Bontrager seat pack, and Bontrager Elite bottle cages.
Not pictured are: PNW Coast Drop Bar (520mm), Bontrager Commuter SPD pedals, Bontrager rear panniers, and Salsa any thing fork cages.
I also made my own stem bag and fork dry bags.
13DFEE59-20E5-4B6D-A91D-78BA397FE89C.jpegD3F86F25-BFC0-45A0-8FD8-0F487B0837AF.jpeg

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

View attachment 249236View attachment 249237
These are the most current, but not accurate, pictures of my gravel grinder build. It’s a Trek 520 Grando 56” frame running 29x2.0” Bontrager XR Team Issue Tubless tires, PNW Coast Suspension Dropper Post, Bontrager MIK Disk Deluxe Rear rack, RockBros Handle Bar Bag, Bontrager seat pack, and Bontrager Elite bottle cages.
Not pictured are: PNW Coast Drop Bar (520mm), Bontrager Commuter SPD pedals, Bontrager rear panniers, and Salsa any thing fork cages.
I also made my own stem bag and fork dry bags.
View attachment 249243View attachment 249244
That's a killer setup for eating up miles in what looks like beautiful country on almost any terrain. Do you do any overnight bikepacking trips with that?

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That's a killer setup for eating up miles in what looks like beautiful country on almost any terrain. Do you do any overnight bikepacking trips with that?
I spent all of 2022 getting it set up for bikepacking trips. I finished the bags right before Christmas, so I am hoping to do a short shakedown trip in April fallowed by some serious multi-terrain trips this summer.
And yes, she eats up the miles easily. I’m able to sit in the saddle for 70 miles at stretch as well as hit the single tracks as well. 4DAAEC41-FD1B-47BD-9841-52311BB891FE.jpeg
28EABCB5-B65C-4A75-9A0D-62BA7AF6E7B3.jpeg
EEB8F55F-E59C-4134-8601-EE988A35D3BF.jpeg

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

I spent all of 2022 getting it set up for bikepacking trips. I finished the bags right before Christmas, so I am hoping to do a short shakedown trip in April fallowed by some serious multi-terrain trips this summer.
And yes, she eats up the miles easily. I’m able to sit in the saddle for 70 miles at stretch as well as hit the single tracks as well. View attachment 249276
View attachment 249277
View attachment 249278
Nice! Have fun, stay safe!

• Love
Reactions: M Rose

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
After a couple of years tryin' to convince the miss' that bikepacking is a whole lot of fun I gave up...haha

Bought a capable overland vehicle and she's taken to it like water. Now overlanding is all about the riding!

Attachments

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
After a couple of years tryin' to convince the miss' that bikepacking is a whole lot of fun I gave up...haha

Bought a capable overland vehicle and she's taken to it like water. Now overlanding is all about the riding!
awesome. What is your vehicle. It looks like a jeep patriot from the back, but the side has door hinges...LR?

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
awesome. What is your vehicle. It looks like a jeep patriot from the back, but the side has door hinges...LR?
Not surprised it has you a little confused...haha

It's a Chinese Baic BJ40L...quite an interesting vehicle...Saab turbo 2.3L motor...Aisin tranny and a Borgwarner transfercase. Quite popular over here.

Next month we head out for 6 months around northwest China. Stay warm and continue your thaw...from a fellow Canadian ;-)

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Not surprised it has you a little confused...haha

It's a Chinese Baic BJ40L...quite an interesting vehicle...Saab turbo 2.3L motor...Aisin tranny and a Borgwarner transfercase. Quite popular over here.

Next month we head out for 6 months around northwest China. Stay warm and continue your thaw...from a fellow Canadian ;-)
That rig looks really cool! Yeah we just went through 2 weeks of warm weather and mist, rain and fog. We have little snow around town now. And we are just waiting for the back country to harden up so we can get out. There was a group of workers in a gold mine about 40km in the backcountry here, stuck in there as the roads became too soft to get out. Another month and we should be out exploring again!

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Anyone out there have any recommendations for a 3 bike hitch carrier that you sit your bike tires into? I have a sportrack 3 bike rack that you clamp onto your frame to hold the bikes, but they are way to close together and will get damaged when transporting. tia.

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

Anyone out there have any recommendations for a 3 bike hitch carrier that you sit your bike tires into? I have a sportrack 3 bike rack that you clamp onto your frame to hold the bikes, but they are way to close together and will get damaged when transporting. tia.
There are a few options I would consider, but they are all fairly expensive. If you have nice bikes, it isn't worth the risk going with a lesser rack to save $ imo.

1UpUSA makes an upright hitch rack and a heavy duty version for constant off road use, both of which are modular so you can add bike capacity as needed, up to 4 (I think). I currently own one of these in a 2 bike capacity, it has seen most of the U.P. and down through Appalachia much of it off-road. It has been absolutely rock solid. I have zero complaints besides the price. Being someone who fabricates and turns a wrench for a living, I can see these racks lasting many tens of years if not forever with only occasional hardware replacement with off the shelf stuff available pretty much anywhere. They are built well and use no molded plastic structural parts.

Küat makes upright hitch racks in a few flavors. I had previously owned a 4 bike version made by Küat. I was the second owner and it served me well for ~6 years before I have it to a friend. It has some plastic bits that were getting small cracks and such and it was super heavy and not easily stored out if the way when not in use, but otherwise no issues.

There are various options from other brands like Yakima, Thule, etc but I have no experience with their hitch racks.