Livermore, CA
First Name
Bennett
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6LPD
I am thinking about exploring Mount Patterson later this summer. My understanding is that this is the highest peak in CA that you can drive to.

Here is a nice video showing one route to the top.

Looking on the map I have, it appears that there are a couple different routes. I’m looking for advice on the best route to take. Has anyone been up there in the past few years?

Thanks

— Bennett

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: GX470er and Rujack

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
Did you ever make it up there? I'm headed that way tomorrow. Never been before. If I'm a good little member I'll post something, but don't hold your breath. I usually wimp out on making trip reports or videos.

Reactions: GX470er

OverlandHiker

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger II

Livermore, CA
First Name
Bennett
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6LPD
I have not been yet. It is in my short list of places to try and get to before winter arrives. Anything you can share after your trip would be appreciated.

Cheers

— Bennett

Reactions: GX470er and RedRob

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
Well, it seems to have been on fire. At least there was a fire close by and the roads to it were closed. So another time, perhaps.

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
I forgot about this thread! I did make it up there, I have no idea when it was. It was pretty cool. Extremely clear when I was there so the view was spectacular. There’s one switchback near the top that was kind of hairy for me, but I have a Tacoma double cab long bed so my wheelbase is longer than a lot of people. Other than that not an especially challenging trail as I recall. I recommend it.

GX470er

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Merced County, California, United States
First Name
Mauricio
Last Name
Alvarez
Member #

I forgot about this thread! I did make it up there, I have no idea when it was. It was pretty cool. Extremely clear when I was there so the view was spectacular. There’s one switchback near the top that was kind of hairy for me, but I have a Tacoma double cab long bed so my wheelbase is longer than a lot of people. Other than that not an especially challenging trail as I recall. I recommend it.
Nice! Loved the scenery