Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
What's your worst ever mosquito experience and what are your techniques for handling the little buggers? Anyone have experience with permethrin coated clothing?

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

I am originally from North Dakota and they are the unofficial state bird. Mosquitos LOVE me. If my wife gets 2 bites in an evening I will get 10. I have tried "Mosquito Proof" clothing, really high DEET sprays, citronella and every old wives tale there is. I don't think there is a solution. My first experience with mosquito proof clothing was the worst mosquito experience I have ever had with the bastards. I told my wife while we were camping, "I don't feel good I am headed to bed". She came in while I was taking off my shirt. She counted 40+ bites on my back. Good luck to you. Please let me know if you find something.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Move to Arizona and you will not have a mosquito problem. Lol. Very, very few flying insects here especially in the summer. The combination of heat and no water means no mosquitoes.

Reactions: NautiqueGuy

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Permethrin works ! My wife is a mosquito magnet and she loves it. As a matter of fact the US Military uses it on all their clothing...

We just came back from a month long overlanding trip to Botswana and Zimbabwe and the locals there took an empty Coke can, bent it in half and in the crease put a pinch of ground coffee. They lit the coffee and the smoke actually got rid of all the flying critters around our site..Honest!

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
Move to Arizona and you will not have a mosquito problem. Lol. Very, very few flying insects here especially in the summer. The combination of heat and no water means no mosquitoes.
HA! I grew up in Nogales and lived in Phoenix for 10 years. I remember more than one mosquito bite. My worst experience was actually in Phoenix at the beginning of the monsoon season.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Somewhat snug-fitting pants and long sleeves is a really good start. If I am in the woods for a while, I will often even wear thin gloves, along with tall socks and a hat. Then, an everyday bug spray / lotion applied around my ankles, wrists, and neck seems to do the trick. With quality summer clothing, you wont feel much warmer, and will actually feel cooler in the direct sun without the rays hitting your skid directly.

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
I am also am a mosquito magnet, Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria was the worse for me. Tried everything I could get my hands on, nothing seemed to work very long.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Haminacan

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia City, Indiana
First Name
First
Last Name
Lastname
Member #

Thermacell works great, but has a small area of effect. Mosquitos were awful here last year, lots of rain and 15 acres of woods behind us. We used Thermacell and Deet to survive grilling season.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

From Oregon to South Carolina (worst of all the various places I've visited for mosquitoes) to Mexico to BC to the Bahamas (mosquitoes not so bad, it's the damn noseeums you gotta watch out for), I've really only found success w/ DEET. Last trip, I tried the Thermacell for the first time. Results were...inconclusive. The skeeters weren't bad to begin with and they don't usually bother me THAT much, so it's tough to say how much impact it had. My wife was already sacked out when I used it, and she's the magnet in the family. That said, I still saw plenty of them in the immediate area, much closer to me and the unit than the purported 15' mosquito-free zone.

I may just try the permethrin next, since I've yet to use that one.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

A few years ago my wife got a Thermacell for her birthday and we were gone on a trip shortly afterwards. She was fine, and I got eaten alive. We promptly went to Wal-Mart and got one for me. Thing is awesome, but it does have a small area. It's great for around the fire, or if I'm cooking I'll put in a few feet away and it works.

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

Well, you all sold me on Thermacell. Went to Amazon and find:
"This product is temporarily unavailable to ship to California"