Rank IV

Explorer I

Derby, City Of Derby, England, United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mellors
Member #

Good evening guys i hope you are all well?

In 7 weeks time we are off on a Euro road trip and i am looking to buy a mosquito repealing device for the camp at night. I have seen some that work off USB and some that you light and they slow burn and give off smoke.

Any recommendations?

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

I just bought an MR300 Thermacell portable unit, based on positive reviews. I haven’t been able to test it yet, as our skeeters aren’t yet out in force. DEET definitely works, but it should be applied to skin and I dislike getting it in my bedding or on clean clothing. It can also melt plastics and other synthetic materials.

Reactions: Landy-Lee83

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I've used Thermacell for many a years for hunting and it is by far the best product I've used outside of spraying yourself with Deet which isn't good if you're trying to keep scent free while hunting!

Reactions: FishinCrzy

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Purchased a USB rechargeable Thermacell unit from Costco a couple of years ago, was not sure it worked until one night at some point the battery died and we suddenly realized that we had not noticed the absence of mozzy's until we were being eaten alive by them. Battery life not as good as I had hoped, but works well and the 'juice' cartridges last a good long time. We had the three pack of miniature usb rechargeable bug zapper lights previously from Costco and noticed no noticeable difference with or without them. Carry spray cans of deep woods off for when we wander, but thinking of trying one of the fuel cartridge Thermacells that you can hang from your belt for when we are out walking.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I've used Thermacell for many a years for hunting and it is by far the best product I've used outside of spraying yourself with Deet which isn't good if you're trying to keep scent free while hunting!
THIS. Viking and I live in the SE US. We have mosquitoes pretty much year-round. Thermacell is the deal...as long as you are stationary. I have two I generally fire up early morning and late evening when they are active. I found that it also does decent against all those cottdaym flies out West where you are often close to livestock. Another trick I learned while boating on the coast is the Banana Boat Sport spray sunscreen is good for the variety of no-seeums and sand gnats that will bit the crap out of you when around the marsh. Well, the marsh and any other place. The other general rule is to cover yourself to prevent bites. I have some clothes I discovered while traveling that supposed to keep mosquitoes away. You can find some better deals than the site I posted .

Men's Nosilife Adventure II Long Sleeved Shirt Harbour Blue

I'm not 100% sold on the shirts but I usually wear them when fishing buggy areas and it does seem to help...maybe. I like the shirts an the construction. Not tried any other articles of their clothing.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I wish mosquitos would feel remorse or regret about sucking peoples blood, but I don't think they do.

I also use the thermocell, the kinda that screws on the gas canister. Works pretty well.

Reactions: Murphy Slaw

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Thermocell works, we stick with the butane version because the little plastic fuel cells are easy to make refillable. I can’t stand the smell of Off so I use No Natz spray and zote soap for showers and hand washing. I’ve found they work better than Off, they just don’t last as long.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
Another useful tool in the toolkit,

You can pretreat your clothes and other fabrics with permethrin

It will last for several washes and can feel less reactive on sensitive skin folks than DEET

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

Thermacell. I've used it for the last 8 years, mostly in Florida swamps. In my experience nothing is better