Morris Mule build-better late than never!!

• HTML tutorial

Bob (Fishingbob)

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aransas Pass, Texas
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Burton
Member #

Hi All
I purchased my Jeep and Morris Mule Trailer March last year after retiring in March-work on the trailer has been constant, I enjoy researching, planning and the build process. I hit the road last year July leaving Aransas Pass, TX and ended up most of the trip in Northern New Mexico and Colorado-fishing, camping, hiking for four months. Hurricane Harvey shortened my trip-came back in September. This year I left May 1st and will be back in October--
I can't believe the interest in the rig while I have been on the road-nobody has seen anything like it. So I figured I would recap the build so far-WISH I had taken pictures as I was building but I didn't-I have been sending pictures after the fact to give people ideas and discuss issues and resolutions as I can-Here is a recap of the modifications to the Morris Mule Trailer I have made. I made the recap for a member Ron member #6722-he just picked up his Morris Mule a few weeks back and wanted some ideas- Rear mounted Tepui-on Morris Mule.jpg Jeep- Morris Mule Trailer.jpg Jeep- Morris Mule Trailer.jpg

" I too ordered mine from Morris, what a great guy. I ordered mine completely stripped-primed only, no wheels or tires. I can send pictures if you would like. Here is what I have done.
Completely surfaced front end, underneath areas and the interior with Monstaliner (black below and front-gray inside). Spray painted the exterior to match the Jeep. Added a rectangular storage compartment from Northern Tools, I added two gas can carriers (and cans)-this idea came from a post on Wobbly Otter. I added a full extension drawer guide slide system, built divided area for storage and added a two burner Camp Chef Ranger 2 stove, with a cutting board mounted below the drawer system. I added a 27 series Optima battery, with a Toad Charger like they use to charge a car being towed by an RV. Wired my jeep and added an Anderson Plug so I can charge the battery while driving (simple system). I added a 300 watt inverter, added a LED light set up with an on/off dimmer system. I added a 5 lb propane tank, water to the rear of the trailer (I converted my stock Jeep bumper to a water bumper, added quick disconnects for the water hoses. Added a Tepui 2 man Ayer roof top tent, Added a ARB 8 x 8 awning (2500), replaced the front jack system to a two wheel roll system. Replaced ALL bolts to stainless steel bolts. Replaced the two rear unit drop down support bases with larger bases to provide a larger footprint for setting up in sand. I use the higher of the two rack height set ups so I can carry my kayak or in case of this trip all my float tube accessories-fins, tube, etc. The drawer slide sides are mounted to 1 x 6" popular boards and all the wiring is mounted inside cable protector tubing, which is mounted to the top on the 1 x 6-making it really look clear. I also added two wheel adapters to convert the stock trailer hubs to my Jeep hub pattern-and added two rims like I have on my Jeep (Just carry one spare for the Jeep and trailer). I think that's it. Let me know if you need pictures Would be glad to send some. "
On my was back from Yellowstone/Tetons area now, next- Chama, NM, Villa Vidal area and of course the San Juan below the Navajo dam---set up is getting a lot of use-and I'm enjoying it,---next year Alaska or New England area not sure yet
BobJeep- Morris Mule Trailer.jpg Rear mounted Tepui-on Morris Mule.jpg

Reactions: Chadlyb

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Bob the trailer looks great! I saw your reply in the other thread so jumped over here. I’m on my phone now but will check out your post in more detail on my laptop when I get home.

I picked up my trailer from Morris Aug of 17. Had him install my Tepui off the back as well, and did the ARB 2500. Great set up! Yours looks fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Bob, do you mind sharing which box you used from Northern Tools? I've been wanting to do the same thing you've done with the storage box and fuel cans. Saw that on Wobbly Otter as well!

Would love to also see how you did the rear supports as well. Did you just have something additional welded on the bottom?

Bob (Fishingbob)

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aransas Pass, Texas
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Burton
Member #

5000# foot base.jpg tool box.jpg Here is a picture of the base that I ordered via Amazon-5000# Trailer Jack Foot Base with locking pin Galv Model# 26029 I do not have a welder ( I cut the existing base off, drilled a new hole for the pin, ground a nut to fit into the area to stabilize the base and pounded it in) kind of mickey mouse but it works fine.
The Tongue box is from Northern tools-Buyers Products trailer tongue box Model# 1701680 -I coated the exterior with Monstaliner.
Hope this helps-let me know if you need anything.
Bob
foot base.jpg

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Bob thanks for the detailed info. I like the idea of modding the rear stabilizers. There’s a number of times where that would have been helpful. It would be nice to be able and have an adjustment that would allow you to thread the bottom of the stabilizers in and out a bit for when the trailer isn’t 100% level.

Bob (Fishingbob)

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aransas Pass, Texas
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Burton
Member #

Sab
I agree a thread system on the stabilizers would be better-I like your set up--Great Mods, can you send me a few pictures of the Jeep. I am planning on doing a few Mods on the front bumper and will be adding a winch-winter projects. How do you like the Warn winch? Would like to keep the stock bumper in the rear-I converted it to a "Water Bumper"- works great, Also what is the "ARB awning & Awning Room on the Jeep" maybe you could send a few pictures of it----Great Job on the Jeep-Can"t wait to see what you do with the Morris Mule--
Bob

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Sab
I agree a thread system on the stabilizers would be better-I like your set up--Great Mods, can you send me a few pictures of the Jeep. I am planning on doing a few Mods on the front bumper and will be adding a winch-winter projects. How do you like the Warn winch? Would like to keep the stock bumper in the rear-I converted it to a "Water Bumper"- works great, Also what is the "ARB awning & Awning Room on the Jeep" maybe you could send a few pictures of it----Great Job on the Jeep-Can"t wait to see what you do with the Morris Mule--
Bob
Hey Bob, I’ll private message you a few more pics after work but here’s a couple.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Nice trailer's.
For my rear stabilizers, I used some 7/8 all thread, welded round stock onto a nut, set it into a piece of 1.5 inch tube and made screw jacks. I have about 6 inches I can adjust. I like the removable plate in one of the pictures. Not sure why I didn't think of that.

Scott

Reactions: sabjku

Bob (Fishingbob)

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aransas Pass, Texas
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Burton
Member #

drawer system-1.jpg drawer system-2.jpg drawer system-3.jpg drawer system-6.jpg Stevedrawer system-5.jpg
Steve
Here are a few pictures of the full extension drawer system, with the cutting board below and grill below that. My cast iron skillet is stowed in the front section behind the stove attached to the front of the fixed wall.
Bob

Attachments

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Bob what a great setup! You have me now wanting to do drawers in the trailer as well.

So, do you have any regrets at all with doing drawers vs. just running containers?

Oh, and I think my weekend project will be the stabilizer adjusters! This is why I love this forum and this site. Great people, great ideas!

Bob (Fishingbob)

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aransas Pass, Texas
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Burton
Member #

Steve
I don't think I would be satisfied with containers. I really like just pulling out the drawer, everything is organized in it's place, no putting my glasses on looking at a label to find out what's in the container. The only issue I need to work on is wind control for the stove-many times I'm on the beach, lake or just in the open exposed and the wind is coming from the wrong direction when I have the stove out and attempting to cook dinner. If I have the annex set up for the tent, there isn't an issue-but I don't always set it up. I'm thinking about maybe some type of folding-fold out wings if you will or maybe a hood system-sounds like a winter project when I get back to Aransas Pass, TX in October.
Thanks
Bob

Reactions: Biker Eagle