Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

If we think finding a camping site is difficult now here is an excerpt from an article in Taste regarding the changes in outdoor cooking...as some old book said "It was the best of times, It was the worst of times"

“Everybody is probably telling you the same story,” says Matt Liddle, the COO of Snow Peak USA. “When this thing first hit, we were batting down the hatches, rocky road ahead, prepare for a rough year, cut the expenses, slow down the inventory. And within six to eight weeks, we were like, ‘Wait a second, nope, turn it all back on, because the demand’s gonna be massive.’”

Terence Reilly, the global president of Stanley, a company whose insulated bottles were used by US pilots during World War II, describes the past year as “unprecedented.”

“What we started to see almost immediately in April and May of 2020, as lockdown started to take hold and people started to understand what this meant for their lives—and, of course, with the end of travel, certainly international, and even domestic—is that people started to go to their backyard, or their rooftop in Brooklyn, or a local park, or the state parks and national parks. Van camping and all of that began to take hold.”

For these thousands of newbie campers, food preparation was top of mind. The company struggled to keep their popular cook sets in stock, and a new tumbler sold out within eight hours. For the first time in Stanley’s 100-plus-year history, there were waiting lists for products.

Reactions: Lil Bear

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

If we think finding a camping site is difficult now here is an excerpt from an article in Taste regarding the changes in outdoor cooking...as some old book said "It was the best of times, It was the worst of times"

“Everybody is probably telling you the same story,” says Matt Liddle, the COO of Snow Peak USA. “When this thing first hit, we were batting down the hatches, rocky road ahead, prepare for a rough year, cut the expenses, slow down the inventory. And within six to eight weeks, we were like, ‘Wait a second, nope, turn it all back on, because the demand’s gonna be massive.’”

Terence Reilly, the global president of Stanley, a company whose insulated bottles were used by US pilots during World War II, describes the past year as “unprecedented.”

“What we started to see almost immediately in April and May of 2020, as lockdown started to take hold and people started to understand what this meant for their lives—and, of course, with the end of travel, certainly international, and even domestic—is that people started to go to their backyard, or their rooftop in Brooklyn, or a local park, or the state parks and national parks. Van camping and all of that began to take hold.”

For these thousands of newbie campers, food preparation was top of mind. The company struggled to keep their popular cook sets in stock, and a new tumbler sold out within eight hours. For the first time in Stanley’s 100-plus-year history, there were waiting lists for products.
Yeah I ordered a Stanley thermos a little while back and had to wait on it as it was back ordered.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

... it was the age of wisdom,
it was the age of foolishness,

it was the epoch of belief,
it was the epoch of incredulity,

it was the season of light,
it was the season of darkness,

it was the spring of hope,
it was the winter of despair.

Reactions: Lil Bear and Ragman

Contributor II

East Tennessee
First Name
James
Last Name
vvvvv
I personally am excited about the prospect of really inexpensive "used one season" gear in the near future. How many folks were looking at the great outdoors last year only to find out that heat, humidity, rain, chiggers, ticks, mosquitoes, no running water, cat holes, and crappy camp coffee suck? Bring it on boys and girls! Next year is going to be a boom for some really good deals haha.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I personally am excited about the prospect of really inexpensive "used one season" gear in the near future. How many folks were looking at the great outdoors last year only to find out that heat, humidity, rain, chiggers, ticks, mosquitoes, no running water, cat holes, and crappy camp coffee suck? Bring it on boys and girls! Next year is going to be a boom for some really good deals haha.
All too true, though the deals may not be as terrific as they've been.

The trend of folks getting excited to go camping and 'overlanding,' then overbuying and selling, has been happening for years. The number has increased dramatically in the last year, though, to be sure.

A good deal of the gear I have was bought used pre-pandemic; most just about brand new and for half of MSRP or less. I saved over a thousand on my rooftop tent four years ago. Other gear I bought was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. Even though I didn't really need it, I knew I could experiment with it, compare similar items, keep what I liked and pass on the rest and break even or make a profit.

The difference with the pandemic purchasers may turn out to be that they bought and are still buying at more inflated prices. The demand, messed up supply chain logistics, raw material shortages, and reduced workforce has driven the prices up, sometimes considerably, all across the recreation industry.

The great deals on gently used and still new gear will still be out there, to be sure, though may not be as terrific as they were previously.

Especially in comparison to the deals one can still get on gear originally purchased pre-pandemic.

Anyone want to buy a twice-used Snow Peak Takibi Pack & Carry Grill?