Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I know that this might be late notice but Lolo Overland in Troutdale is having an event at the store from 10 until 2ish. I will be there before I really buckle down and make my journey to the Rocky Mountains to start a new chapter in my life.

View attachment 225263
If I don’t see you there, safe travels! Maybe catch up in CO somewhere in the future.

terahex

Rank II

Contributor II

Tigard, OR, USA
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Stewart
Member #

Looks like PDX monthly meet up is cancelled. I must admit that it has been a long time since I have gone. Is it forever cancelled???

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Looks like PDX monthly meet up is cancelled. I must admit that it has been a long time since I have gone. Is it forever cancelled???
John and Christy Graves moved to Florida. So yes it’s canceled until someone steps into their shoes and puts it on again

Reactions: terahex
U

UgotWheelz

I’m not big on intersocial activities however I did check into this event and found out the Portland event isn’t even in Portland it’s on the other side of the river so it was too far out of my way to go for the price of fuel. I have asked people I’ve met out on the trail and track if they’ve been another people that I’ve talk to have even been to the event.

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Thank you Portland crew for welcoming my overlanding Subaru and myself to the monthly meetups with warm, welcoming hearts and smiles. I was nervous at first because Subarus are not typical vehicle that one sees on the trails.

I am fully moved into my new home in Colorado. I showcased my Subaru at Overland Expo Mtn West. :flushed: If either of you happen to adventure to Colorado, maybe we can touch base.

Here was my setup for Overland Expo.

FBCA4B58-22F0-4062-93F6-AA4C66F9D90E.jpeg

Reactions: KAIONE and terahex

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I’m not big on intersocial activities however I did check into this event and found out the Portland event isn’t even in Portland it’s on the other side of the river so it was too far out of my way to go for the price of fuel. I have asked people I’ve met out on the trail and track if they’ve been another people that I’ve talk to have even been to the event.
I used to drive from Vancouver, WA. I enjoyed the meetings a lot and thought it was well worth it. Definitely made some great acquaintances. Is there somewhere on your side of the river that you would attend? I wouldn’t mind dropping a pin to get it started again.

U

UgotWheelz

Thank you Portland crew for welcoming my overlanding Subaru and myself to the monthly meetups with warm, welcoming hearts and smiles. I was nervous at first because Subarus are not typical vehicle that one sees on the trails.

I am fully moved into my new home in Colorado. I showcased my Subaru at Overland Expo Mtn West. :flushed: If either of you happen to adventure to Colorado, maybe we can touch base.

Here was my setup for Overland Expo.

View attachment 242136
Hey kool rig, I see a lot of Subarus out in the Oregon coast range in the cascade range. I suspect most are weekend campers but they’re getting out there doing it on another note both of my step daughters drive lifted Subarus they’re both military veterans and apparently most of their peers from the military on Subarus as well that a Toyota Tacoma’s.

Reactions: Cascadia
U

UgotWheelz

I used to drive from Vancouver, WA. I enjoyed the meetings a lot and thought it was well worth it. Definitely made some great acquaintances. Is there somewhere on your side of the river that you would attend? I wouldn’t mind dropping a pin to get it started again.
Thanks for your comment. Other than when I’m in Portland getting my parents estate ready to lease I’m on the road full-time in my jeep. I usually in the coast range but sometimes in the cascade range. Lately I’ve been venturing more into the Bend area; So not really too close to Portland currently that might change for the winter time. What’s the unstable gas price situation I’m constantly looking for the right next vehicle or modifications to the current one but I tend to stay in one pace a lot more often and avoid city traffic as much as possible.

Reactions: KAIONE

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Hey kool rig, I see a lot of Subarus out in the Oregon coast range in the cascade range. I suspect most are weekend campers but they’re getting out there doing it on another note both of my step daughters drive lifted Subarus they’re both military veterans and apparently most of their peers from the military on Subarus as well that a Toyota Tacoma’s.
Thanks. Mine goes on trails (max level 5) and occasionally car camping. When living in Portland metro, I was adventuring on moderate trails at Brown’s Camp.

When I attended Overland Expo Mtn West (Colorado-which has just as many Subarus as Oregon or maybe more), there were not many attendees who have Subarus.

Last edited:
Reactions: UgotWheelz

terahex

Rank II

Contributor II

Tigard, OR, USA
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Stewart
Member #

What is involved in
John and Christy Graves moved to Florida. So yes it’s canceled until someone steps into their shoes and puts it on again
What is involved in organizing the meetup. Does anyone know if Busters charged us to use the room?

Reactions: M Rose

Mark Sterling

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kings Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Felix
Last Name
Sterling
Member #

I miss attending those meetings. Commuting to portland for those meetings killed me on gas. I wish that wasn’t the case, but we all need to keep in mind that meet-ups aren’t controlled by just one person. Anyone can meet at that restaurant and share successes ,idea and stories.

Reactions: KAIONE and M Rose
U

UgotWheelz

Thanks. Mine goes on trails (max level 5) and occasionally car camping. When living in Portland metro, I was adventuring on moderate trails at Brown’s Camp.

When I attended Overland Expo Mtn West (Colorad-which has just as many Subarus as Oregon or maybe more), there were not many attendees who have Subarus.
I’ve been up to Brown’s Camp several times, I’ve been all over the area up there. There’s actually some shorts on my social media from the area. I’ve never actually seen a marked off-road trail (I think maybe they’re hiding them from me all I ever see is giant boulders in logs blocking the way to what looks like they could possibly be off-road trails) but then again I usually don’t have cell service To look up any trails Onyx Which is something I just started using. I chose not to attend overland expo west or Pacific Northwest this year due to the price of fuel I had to weigh the cost versus benefits aspect of it. One of my stepdaughters has a lot of friends in the Colorado area so I think come spring I’ll be finding myself around Denver and the Springs more often I’ll keep my eyes out for your Subaru on the trails.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’ve been up to Brown’s Camp several times, I’ve been all over the area up there. There’s actually some shorts on my social media from the area. I’ve never actually seen a marked off-road trail (I think maybe they’re hiding them from me all I ever see is giant boulders in logs blocking the way to what looks like they could possibly be off-road trails) but then again I usually don’t have cell service To look up any trails Onyx Which is something I just started using. I chose not to attend overland expo west or Pacific Northwest this year due to the price of fuel I had to weigh the cost versus benefits aspect of it. One of my stepdaughters has a lot of friends in the Colorado area so I think come spring I’ll be finding myself around Denver and the Springs more often I’ll keep my eyes out for your Subaru on the trails.
Those trees and rocks are called “Gate Keepers”. Have you tried using OB1 to see the trails… download “browns camp” area for offline use, then you don’t have your navigation issues when you loose cell service.

Having spent 6 years living in Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and Canon City, and running several trips up Brown’s Camp… if you can’t get through the Gate Keepers at Brown’s Camp, you’re not going to find Old Gold Camp Road.

U

UgotWheelz

Those trees and rocks are called “Gate Keepers”. Have you tried using OB1 to see the trails… download “browns camp” area for offline use, then you don’t have your navigation issues when you loose cell service.

Having spent 6 years living in Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and Canon City, and running several trips up Brown’s Camp… if you can’t get through the Gate Keepers at Brown’s Camp, you’re not going to find Old Gold Camp Road.
Oh noted. Yes I could easily get around the big trees but some of the boulders require a rock crawler to get over them. When they’re taller than my hood I don’t try to go over them. I just thought they were there to keep people out. I have some videos of them in my social media post Instagram on YouTube seems to me I do remember some of them actually had signs that said closed or keep out. In regards to OB1 As they add more features it becomes a lot more difficult for me to understand how to use it. Until recently my old iPhone 5S didn’t have enough memory to download off-line maps. I do have onyx Offroad on both my phone and my tablet I’ll look for that Gold Camp Road and see if I can find it I’m out in the area at least three days a week every week.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Oh noted. Yes I could easily get around the big trees but some of the boulders require a rock crawler to get over them. When they’re taller than my hood I don’t try to go over them. I just thought they were there to keep people out. I have some videos of them in my social media post Instagram on YouTube seems to me I do remember some of them actually had signs that said closed or keep out. In regards to OB1 As they add more features it becomes a lot more difficult for me to understand how to use it. Until recently my old iPhone 5S didn’t have enough memory to download off-line maps. I do have onyx Offroad on both my phone and my tablet I’ll look for that Gold Camp Road and see if I can find it I’m out in the area at least three days a week every week.
Old Gold Camp Road won’t show up on a map… unless you find a map from the 1880’s. It runs from Colorado Springs to Rockville.

U

UgotWheelz

Old Gold Camp Road won’t show up on a map… unless you find a map from the 1880’s. It runs from Colorado Springs to Rockville.
I actually might have some maps that old my mom was quite the Oregon history buff. Well just taking a casual peak at the OB one map it doesn’t even show Browns camp. I search for Browns Camp it says nothing could found be pretty odd for a major OHV area. Or maybe the App is just too complicated for my advanced age.