First Name
Colin
Last Name
Ritchie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGR
Hi Everyone.
I want to spend about 10 Days in Montana Late July/August. Before I start trail planning does anyone have any suggestions for some good camping and trails? I drive a lifted LR4 with a PC X1 in tow.
Thanks and Best regards
Colin

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Redondo Beach to Montana - Do you want to travel Fast, and then Explore? Or - do you want to plan on Drive, explore, no-agenda, Sight-see, and plan a return trip. Montana is a big state, all the Mountains, lakes, rivers are in the Western part of the state. How many miles, hours - do you want to drive each day? Boise, to Phoenix and return was 2600 mile trip. Lot's to see in Montana -
Flathead Lake, Hungry Horse Res, Glacier NP, Whitefish Lake, Missoula is a great town. Let me know, I can pull my Montana file. David

Colin Ritchie

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

117A South Irena Avenue Redondo beach CA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Ritchie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGR
Redondo Beach to Montana - Do you want to travel Fast, and then Explore? Or - do you want to plan on Drive, explore, no-agenda, Sight-see, and plan a return trip. Montana is a big state, all the Mountains, lakes, rivers are in the Western part of the state. How many miles, hours - do you want to drive each day? Boise, to Phoenix and return was 2600 mile trip. Lot's to see in Montana -
Flathead Lake, Hungry Horse Res, Glacier NP, Whitefish Lake, Missoula is a great town. Let me know, I can pull my Montana file. David
David,
Thanks for the prompt reply, that is very nice of you. Yes Redondo Beach is a long way however I get to drive my wife to her retail destinations and then I bugger off into the woods for as long as I can. This time I'm driving her to Bosman and then I have 10 Days. The return trip is not my concern just yet because I'm not sure where she's off too after MT. I have heard that the Fort Peck Area might be a good place to start and track down the Missouri River (that small Ferry seems quite quaint).
I prefer to drive on the dirt although I'm not a "wheeler" climbing over large boulders, somehow that is not fun for me, probably because I use the same vehicle to get home.
I look forward to hearing from you, maybe get to meet you at one of the expo's to say thank you officially.
Best regards
Colin

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fort Peck area is awesome. Fort Benton is another very cool place. You could drive up to Fort Peck and then drive across the high line (hiway 2) to Havre and down to Missoula through Fort Benton and Great Falls and then back to Bozeman. There are some cool dirt roads you can make your way over to Fort Benton from Fort Peck that go through some pretty country.

Colin Ritchie

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Colin
Last Name
Ritchie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGR
Fort Peck area is awesome. Fort Benton is another very cool place. You could drive up to Fort Peck and then drive across the high line (hiway 2) to Havre and down to Missoula through Fort Benton and Great Falls and then back to Bozeman. There are some cool dirt roads you can make your way over to Fort Benton from Fort Peck that go through some pretty country.
Thanks for that and of course the correct spelling of Bozeman :) I'll look up those routes. Cheers.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

David,
Thanks for the prompt reply, that is very nice of you. Yes Redondo Beach is a long way however I get to drive my wife to her retail destinations and then I bugger off into the woods for as long as I can. This time I'm driving her to Bosman and then I have 10 Days. The return trip is not my concern just yet because I'm not sure where she's off too after MT. I have heard that the Fort Peck Area might be a good place to start and track down the Missouri River (that small Ferry seems quite quaint).
I prefer to drive on the dirt although I'm not a "wheeler" climbing over large boulders, somehow that is not fun for me, probably because I use the same vehicle to get home.
I look forward to hearing from you, maybe get to meet you at one of the expo's to say thank you officially.
Best regards
Colin
Colin,
1115 Total Miles one-way to Bozeman, with an over-night in Cedar City, UT. Two full days of driving Interstate Freeways, Redondo Beach to Bozeman
David

Colin Ritchie

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Colin
Last Name
Ritchie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGR
Colin,
1115 Total Miles one-way to Bozeman, with an over-night in Cedar City, UT. Two full days of driving Interstate Freeways, Redondo Beach to Bozeman
David
David, I know it's quite the drive, I stayed at Goose Neck State Park the last time I did this on the way home. On the way up I camped at Twin Lakes near Buena Vista. The Land Rover is great on these journeys and the PC trailer is a breeze to tow. I watched the X Overland series this morning with the family travelling through Montana, I'm tempted to follow their route on this trip. Montana looks amazing.

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Here's an old shcool house between Havre and Great Falls just off the highway. There are a few abandoned homesteads, churches, schools, and cemeteries. Also some missile silos that are still active.20160203_102535.jpg

Reactions: Colin Ritchie

rangerLadTX

Rank I

Contributor III

Texas, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Lowe
Driving from Ft. Collins to Bozeman to pick up the wife from the airport. Looking for a place to get up to with some water to let the pup swim and maybe throw a line out or paddle board in late July. Any recs?

Colin Ritchie

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Colin
Last Name
Ritchie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGR
Driving from Ft. Collins to Bozeman to pick up the wife from the airport. Looking for a place to get up to with some water to let the pup swim and maybe throw a line out or paddle board in late July. Any recs?
You have the Yellowstone River right there. Have a whip around the maps and find a spot.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
That's way to much black top for me. I'm sure that it will still be a great trip.
Have fun out there.
C
That's actually my main loop for a trip we leave on in just over a week. Doesn't include any off-road/overlanding trails, just marking main areas along the way that we will venture off pavement to explore and camp and is mainly a reference for how far we'll be driving so we can plan our days accordingly. ;)

Check out the Magruder Corridor - Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests - Magruder Road Corridor - and the guide the USFS put together - https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsm91_055707.pdf - as well as Idaho's Magruder Corridor Wilderness Road

Reactions: FishinCrzy

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

You have the Yellowstone River right there. Have a whip around the maps and find a spot.
Or the Gallatin river if you take i80 west to Rock Springs and turn north on the 191. I saw lots of kayakers even back in late May and the Gallatin is famous for fishing as well. Theres a few quiet
or shallow spots for the dog

Colin Ritchie

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Colin
Last Name
Ritchie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGR
This became the backbone of the trip, starting at Fort Peck, Fort Benton, Belt, Virginia City, Wickes Road and the Greeley Creek Road. About 900 miles. Thanks for the inspiration very much appreciated. Have a great weekend. Colin

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

This became the backbone of the trip, starting at Fort Peck, Fort Benton, Belt, Virginia City, Wickes Road and the Greeley Creek Road. About 900 miles. Thanks for the inspiration very much appreciated. Have a great weekend. Colin
I'm jealous. Go a bit south of the highline and take a ferry or two across the Missouri to get to Fort Benton. I used to stop at the Missouri Breaks center on the river and eat lunch on my way back to work in ND, it's pretty cool. Just one warning, if it rains get off the dirt and get to pavement ASAP. The dirt in eastern MT turns to slippery gumbo that overwhelms all mud tires and 4x4s. Looking forward to your trip report.

Colin Ritchie

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Colin
Last Name
Ritchie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGR
I'm jealous. Go a bit south of the highline and take a ferry or two across the Missouri to get to Fort Benton. I used to stop at the Missouri Breaks center on the river and eat lunch on my way back to work in ND, it's pretty cool. Just one warning, if it rains get off the dirt and get to pavement ASAP. The dirt in eastern MT turns to slippery gumbo that overwhelms all mud tires and 4x4s. Looking forward to your trip report.
That's great advice thank you, I would have kept going in the mud. The Stafford Ferry is on route but you can't have too many river crossings:) I'm really looking forward to the Wickes RR tunnel actually. The trip starts August 2nd, my wife's uncle fly's in from Long Island NY to Billings, I have to be in LA for the 13th August when he will return to NY. I'll post on my IG account first. colin underscore ritchie is where you will find me. Thanks once again for you great advice and local Intel. Colin