Monstaliner Reviews?

• HTML tutorial

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Looking for a cheaper option than Line-X/Rhino Lining/etc to do the body of my truck. Monstaliner looks like an affordable option, with lots of color choices, but I'd never even heard of it until a couple weeks ago.

Has anyone used this product? If so, how has it held up to weather, rocks, sun, and time??

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
There is a gargantuan thread over on Ih8mud about monstaliner, and my google searches have turned up a few on other forums. Personally, I have a friend with his truck monstalined and the results were fantastic, mine is in the chute for it in the spring. I'll dig up the mud link and post it here shortly.

Reactions: ColoradoPacific

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Works great

This was a recoat job after 1.5 years of abuse. I ordered 2 quarts originally and should have bought the gallon.

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

There is a gargantuan thread over on Ih8mud about monstaliner, and my google searches have turned up a few on other forums. Personally, I have a friend with his truck monstalined and the results were fantastic, mine is in the chute for it in the spring. I'll dig up the mud link and post it here shortly.
Yeah, I've read some initial reviews that have good things to say, but I haven't found very many long-term reviews (like, how does it hold up after 5 years or so??).

A buddy of mine just did his FJ80 last weekend, and it LOOKS great. But again, no word on how it stands the test of time.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Yeah, I've read some initial reviews that have good things to say, but I haven't found very many long-term reviews (like, how does it hold up after 5 years or so??).

A buddy of mine just did his FJ80 last weekend, and it LOOKS great. But again, no word on how it stands the test of time.
After a year and a half the cargo area in my trailer has some wear holes. Meaning the bedliner was worn down to the prepped metal. I originally did 2 coats. I probably should have done 3. Of course the interior of an offroad trailer takes a lot of abuse. Outside was fine. No issues with fading. Some minor chips. Again if you buy enough and are patient with applications it is a great product. Just make sure you have a full respirator because this stuff is nasty. Read and FOLLOW the instructions and any DIY'er can have great success. Adding another layer was easy. All the prep work is what is time consuming.

A simple solution for the interior of my trailer will be to put a $3.00 Harbor Freight moving blanket on the floor prior to loading all of my gear.

Here's a before pic prior to the recoat: You can see the wear and tear. Granted my trailer has well over 10,000 miles on it including trips through the entire state of UT, ID, Baja, and lots of other off pavement adventures.

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

@1Louder , thanks for that info! Good to know how it holds up! My plan is just for exterior (body) use, so I don't think I'll have to worry about wearing it down like your trailer floor.

I've seen lots of comments about the rollers falling apart. I'm curious how other types of rollers would fare. Might be a fun little test, actually... Mix some up and paint a piece of scrap steel with different rollers to see how the texture and finish are affected! :grin:

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
@1Louder has a good data point there. As a wear surface it might not be as high a performer as a Line-X product. But it is easy to re-coat as needed.
Several years ago, I did an entire vehicle (1989 FJ62) in two colors, and it turned out really great. As has been mentioned, a good prep and sanding is the key and most of the work.
This is a two-part system, so when you mix it up, you gotta use it up! No trials, no gathering the tribe to see if they like it. Once you mix, you go! Be ready to work.
I covered mine, two coats, two colors in one 14-hour day with the help of my capable son for about 3/4ths of the day, so it is a lot of work. All the prep work was done before that day and it took me a week at a couple hours / day to get it ready, but it needed quite a bit of work.

How durable? I sold the car because the guy really dug the look. He lives down the street and has basically mistreated the car and honestly I haven't looked at it up close so I can't say how it's holding up. If I can somehow sneak a peak, I'll give you some feedback.

Long story long, I would do it again as a lower-cost alternative to getting a cheap-o paint job - totally worth it IMO.

Dan.