Mojave Thanksgiving

• HTML tutorial

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

Great videos! Thanks for sharing. Looks like an awesome trip. I plan to make the drive next spring. I'm curious about how much fuel you used, noting that you refueled partway through. Is carrying extra fuel essential? You were towing a (very cool looking!) trailer, so of course that impacts your mileage. Just trying to get a guage on whether I "should" or "have to" consider carrying more. Thanks!

Fairbro

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlingame, CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KW6WJF
Great videos! Thanks for sharing. Looks like an awesome trip. I plan to make the drive next spring. I'm curious about how much fuel you used, noting that you refueled partway through. Is carrying extra fuel essential? You were towing a (very cool looking!) trailer, so of course that impacts your mileage. Just trying to get a guage on whether I "should" or "have to" consider carrying more. Thanks!
If you're planning to do the full length of Mojave Rd then extra fuel is essential. I've run it in both directions and the climbs (in both directions) significantly impact fuel usage. On this trip I actually refueled twice (at the Mail Box and at the Keystone Canyon camp), but if I had emptied my 12 gallon tank the first time I probably would have been fine (at the Mail Box I only transferred about 9 gallons). I would recommend carrying at least 10 gallons extra, but, of course, it all depends on what your driving - the FJ has a 19 g tank, which is not much when getting 6 mpg pulling a trailer uphill.

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

@Fairbro, thanks! That helps. I'll be driving a 4Runner and not towing anything, so will likely do better than 6 MPG, but I'll still plan on at least one can of fuel for safety.

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Thanks for sharing your videos. I'm planning to hit the Megaphone on my next trip, but want to take the jeep trails to Kelso Dunes and just curious it you came across any of those and if they look doable?

Fairbro

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlingame, CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KW6WJF
Thanks for sharing your videos. I'm planning to hit the Megaphone on my next trip, but want to take the jeep trails to Kelso Dunes and just curious it you came across any of those and if they look doable?
I'm only aware of two trails to Kelso Dunes, one off of Kelbaker Rd at Kelso Depot and Kelso Dunes Rd of Kelbaker Rd south of Kelso Depot. I'm pretty sure that Kelso Dunes Rd is accessible by RVs, and if you can drive in sand the trail out of Kelso Depot should be fine.

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Thanks. My map is showing some old jeep trails, however; the map is 11 years old and maybe there all covered by sand now.