Mojave Road

• HTML tutorial

TRDZILA

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kokomo In
Hello all. I’m taking a trip in a couple of weeks to California via Route 66, with stops in Wilson Ok. and Apache Junction Az.
I’m wanting to do the Old Mojave Road, but the map I bought isn’t very informative and leaves a lot of gaps.
Does anyone have a good source for information?
Thanks.
Keith.

jkxj

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

las vegas
the mojave road guide by dennis g sasebier. he litterally wrote the book and it the authority on the road. very detailed book with very good turn by turn directions

Reactions: TOMB

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

the mojave road guide by dennis g sasebier. he litterally wrote the book and it the authority on the road. very detailed book with very good turn by turn directions
Book by Dennis C. Verified, I was a contributor for this edition. Not bragging just saying. Your trip onto the road from the East should be around the Hwy 40 and Kelbaker Rd. Once in you can go East or West. West you’ll exit at Afton Canyon. East you’ll end up in Laughlin Nevada. Both great trips. It gets COLD during the night. Days now are in the 50-60 range. Ludlow is your last chance for fuel once on the road. It’s a great ride and so much desert opens up to you save the US property National Park due to the shutdown. Hope you enjoy the trip. Keep us informed

Last edited:
Reactions: TRDZILA and 9Mike2

Musubie

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Los Angeles
Hello all. I’m taking a trip in a couple of weeks to California via Route 66, with stops in Wilson Ok. and Apache Junction Az.
I’m wanting to do the Old Mojave Road, but the map I bought isn’t very informative and leaves a lot of gaps.
Does anyone have a good source for information?
Thanks.
Keith.
Mojave National Preserve is one of my favorite desert places. I like it much better than Joshua Tree.

The roads are marked on the Casebier book of course, but do check out the excellent desertusa.com site as well. Here's a particularly useful page:

https://www.desertusa.com/desert-trails/mojave-road-page1.html.

There aren't very many roads in the NP (and that's one of the appeals, right?), and the remoteness means that the night sky explodes with stars at night. That also means that fuel may be an issue. Bring extra fuel if your rig runs thirsty.

Very cold in the winter, and be very careful when it rains (this weekend, for example). Kelbaker may be paved but poorly so in some parts, and desert soils turn into slippery good in some places.

Reactions: TRDZILA

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
Beware that the route I downloaded to Gaia from our OB approved route forum is incorrect. It inexplicably takes you off the actual road and off on a tangent where there’s no actual roads. Also it doesn’t show the whole route. It was very frustrating for me. I guess the lesson is that you always have to be ready to improvise, adapt, and overcome.

Reactions: arbezee and TRDZILA

TRDZILA

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kokomo In
His interview on the Route 66 Podcast is why I decided I really wanted to drive the road after hearing about it on a 4WD podcast.
I will order the book today.

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
I have driven the Mojave Trail many times and work in the area frequently. As stated, it can get cold this time of year (especially at night).Dennis C’s book is great. Things to keep in mind are the pass to Landfair Valley from Fort Paiute (washouts), Soda Lake (flooded), and the water crossing at Afton Canyon. I just saw a recent YouTube vlog of the water crossing and it appears to be 3.5-4 feet deep. If it’s raining a fair amount I would not attempt any part. I have been out there during several storms and it can become treacherous real quick. If it hasn’t rained recently you should be okay, and there are work arounds for the three areas I mentioned.

Christopher McNamara

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Westchester, Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
McNamara
Member #

@Kenno and I are doing the trip over MLK day weekend. Not sure if that lines up with your trip plans but always fun to add to the group. Gonna be cold, but gonna be fun!

Also if anyone else is going. The more the merrier!

Chris

Last edited:

Kenno

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Los Angeles, CA
Member #

Thanks for all the info! Lookin forward to taking the mall crawler out.

@TRDZILA - found and will listen to that podcast on my home from work today. If you have questions on the conditions, we can hopefully give you some pointers as we'll be there a week before you.

Christopher McNamara

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Westchester, Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
McNamara
Member #

Following up from @Kenno and my weekend, first of all it was epic. Such a great trip, @TRDZILA , you're going to have a blast!

The trail was mostly dry. We found some good mud spots along the route to get dirty which is always fun.

We did cross Soda Lake and it was dry. One or two wet spots but nothing that caused concern or struggle. Unless there's any more rain in the forecast its going to be dry for you.

We also crossed the Mojave River, I watched a stock TJ do it as well, no issue. Since it doesn't look like there will be rain anytime soon, I'd say you'll be ok.

There were a fair amount of people along the route too which made it fun. We linked up with a group on day 2 and ended up caravaning with them the rest of the way.

Thats all I got! Have a blast! Looking forward to hearing how it went.