Mojave Road

• HTML tutorial

08canyon4x4

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hi everyone. I'm new to OB and I'm looking for advice/input on Mojave road this winter or spring. I have a 2008 GMC Canyon Z71 4x4 with a 2inch lift and 32 inch all terrains. This will be my first crossing of the Mojave road and from my research, the dry lake crossing and the water on the way out are the biggest challenges. Can anyone help with timing suggestions, detours, and any other friendly advice? I'm also interested in getting a group together as well for safety. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: ArmyofMike

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I’ve never done the water crossing, since I’ve heard it averages about 32-36 inches deep, and I really don’t want water in my truck (31 inch tires!). There really isn’t a good detour for that, you have to go to the freeway, and it is something like 20
Miles. The dry lake should be no problem, it only gets bad after it rains, so keep an eye on the weather report. The Mojave Road is a great trip, when were you thinking of going?

Reactions: 08canyon4x4

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
Ah the water crossing isn’t that bad [emoji854]IMG_9520.jpg

That’s with the truck in off road height plus another almost 2 inches of lift using suspensions rods. I think I just got lucky to be honest. It was definitely deeper than the air intakes on the sides. Had a good bow wave going.

It’s a fun trip and not that challenging which is nice sometimes. I’d definitely be interested in running it again.

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Ed- What time of the year did you run it? Any guess how many inches deep?

08canyon4x4

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ah the water crossing isn’t that bad [emoji854]View attachment 79235

That’s with the truck in off road height plus another almost 2 inches of lift using suspensions rods. I think I just got lucky to be honest. It was definitely deeper than the air intakes on the sides. Had a good bow wave going.

It’s a fun trip and not that challenging which is nice sometimes. I’d definitely be interested in running it again.
Such a great pic!

Reactions: El Solis