• During the week would work better for me

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

That's the second water crossing, and probably the deeper of the two. Should be OK, it's soda lake that concerns me by then. Did you cross that with no problems?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using OB Talk mobile app
Yes that is the second crossing (last one before the campground).

We crossed the lake - it was pretty wild in the mud. I would not recommend for novice driver or lesser equipped vehicles right now. March should be ok i'd think if the rain is absent for some weeks before.

I don't want to be a buzz kill but you should really cap the attendance list. Its getting HUGE.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Yeah I'm pretty sure we are going to need to divide up the groups as is..

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zargon

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Looks like 30-45 rigs are planning on attending!!!

Some scale for fun (I enjoy looking at different perspectives)
  • 5-8 groups of 6 (Max without a permit)
  • 4-5 groups of 9
  • If all 45 rigs were bumper touching bumper, we would span about an 1/8th of a mile long
  • If all rigs were at an average travel distance of 3 car length (Pretty tight group) we would be a half mile long
  • About $1300 spent on gas alone assuming everyone averages a reasonable 14 mpg (taking into consideration some have better some have worse)
  • About an oil change worth of total distance will be covered between all the trucks on just the trail
  • If all the rigs are traveling at 35 mph, the potential hitting force if they all struck at once is about equal to 113 lbs of TNT

Jkroberts

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lake Forest CA
Member #

Looks like 30-45 rigs are planning on attending!!!

Some scale for fun (I enjoy looking at different perspectives)
  • 5-8 groups of 6 (Max without a permit)
  • 4-5 groups of 9
  • If all 45 rigs were bumper touching bumper, we would span about an 1/8th of a mile long
  • If all rigs were at an average travel distance of 3 car length (Pretty tight group) we would be a half mile long
  • About $1300 spent on gas alone assuming everyone averages a reasonable 14 mpg (taking into consideration some have better some have worse)
  • About an oil change worth of total distance will be covered between all the trucks on just the trail
  • If all the rigs are traveling at 35 mph, the potential hitting force if they all struck at once is about equal to 113 lbs of TNT
Those are some pretty nifty numbers! How hard is it to get a permit?

And im down to hit something going 35... that sounds like an experience

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Although I will continue to watch the thread and be jealous of all of you, I am withdrawing this trip. Short time at work and a closer event in Idaho are going to take me out of the mix. This is shaping into an epic event and I will be keenly watching - maybe in a couple of years when we retire to a closer area I can use the book I got!!

Happy Wheeling!!!

Reactions: VCeXpedition

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

The permit requirement is >7 vehicles / 15 people. The application fee is $69 and $1M liability insurance may be required. A driver on our New years Trip had previously pulled a permit on another run in 2014 - it took six months.

You are best to divide this up - 6 groups of 7 vehicles and cap the attendance at 42. As I previously mentioned getting lots of vehicles camped along the road will be difficult. Road side spots maybe 4-7 vehicles. Mid Hills for example does have 26 sites (2 vehicles per). Mojave Camp could take maybe 25 - 30 using the whole site.

Even with groups divided to avoid permits you will have some traffic jams as the pace will not be the same from all groups. Also consider stops along the way for lunch, scenery and other things. For example getting 7 - 10 rigs parked at the Rock House makes it full. Stagger the departure of the groups by 15 to 30 minutes.

I would suggest if you are keeping this a coordinated effort that group leaders employ APRS for tactical positioning.

Reactions: VCeXpedition

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

@RobRed you are the man. I too think we need to cap attendance at this point. I am sure we will inevitably have people drop out before the run but let's leave it at 42 max and do as Rob suggests and have staggering departure times.. Anyone else want to chime in on this?

Reactions: REWDBOY and Narbob

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
The permit requirement is >7 vehicles / 15 people. The application fee is $69 and $1M liability insurance may be required. A driver on our New years Trip had previously pulled a permit on another run in 2014 - it took six months.

You are best to divide this up - 6 groups of 7 vehicles and cap the attendance at 42. As I previously mentioned getting lots of vehicles camped along the road will be difficult. Road side spots maybe 4-7 vehicles. Mid Hills for example does have 26 sites (2 vehicles per). Mojave Camp could take maybe 25 - 30 using the whole site.

Even with groups divided to avoid permits you will have some traffic jams as the pace will not be the same from all groups. Also consider stops along the way for lunch, scenery and other things. For example getting 7 - 10 rigs parked at the Rock House makes it full. Stagger the departure of the groups by 15 to 30 minutes.

I would suggest if you are keeping this a coordinated effort that group leaders employ APRS for tactical positioning.
Who could have predicted this really! I never imagined that there would be so much interest in this trip. I have no doubt that this is the biggest group I've ever led by a factor of 5x!

@RobRed you are the man. I too think we need to cap attendance at this point. I am sure we will inevitably have people drop out before the run but let's leave it at 42 max and do as Rob suggests and have staggering departure times.. Anyone else want to chime in on this?

I really hate to cap attendance, I only put this out there to see who would like to go, never imagining that it would be such a groundswell, but it's honestly not the first time I've underestimated the movement that is Overland Bound!

I think 42 is even a huge number, I don't honestly know how to limit it and be fair and still have people not get pissed off!

I guess I could go with the first 42 that committed, or stop taking commitments.

More than that, getting permits for the right number of people as they're $69 and may take longer than expected.

Most of all, I really appreciate the community spirit here, I'm convinced this will be an epic trip and it will be here before we know it!

Dan.

Reactions: Zargon and Narbob

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I only suggested 42 because that's where you are essentially... I would have capped it at 14. You shouldn't feel bad about this. You are creating an "event" and you should only take on what you are comfortable being responsible for. Should you stay at 42 you'll need 5 more group leaders that are committed to this as you are. Its not about being fair but being safe and responsible. Having done more than a few of these I know you will definitely have some drop outs.

Planning Planning Planning is key to enjoyment for your participants. Most folks will show up and look to you or your leads as tour guides.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Wow, this trip has blown up! A true Off the Grid rally! Hope to see pics and videos. I'm running it March 9-12 with my son, brother and dad so I'll give a latest conditions update after returning home. Take care and best of luck! @fj80toyman

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Howdy! If you're still open, add me as a tentative maybe. It's in my neck of the woods, and the dates are right for me, it would just be a matter of getting the time off work, and also where I'm at with my Transfer case swap I have coming up. @fj80toyman

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I filled out the form. Please mark me as a tentative attendee. If you have to cap it at the first 42 commits, that's fair. No one can be upset for not making the cut when they weren't first (I say this as probably #50 on the list so I'm low on the totem pole).

If you want to avoid dropouts - make people PayPal, Google Wallet, Venmo or send a deposit via another medium. There is no reason that you should have to front money for the permits for a bunch of strangers on the internet. ;) For example, the deposit could be $10-20 to hold your spot. You use those funds to cover the permits and then use whatever is leftover to buy something for the group (foodstuffs, beer, special patches or stickers for attendees of the 2017 OB Mojave Road Rally, whatever). If people don't submit their deposit by a certain date, their spot goes to the next person in line. IMO, by making people put down a deposit they are more likely to commit and not drop.