Rank II

Contributor III

Joshua Tree, CA, USA
First Name
Willem
Last Name
van der Schyf
Member #

Do your research about weather conditions for the Mojave during December.

While it may seem like a sensible time, Dec can be a rough time to be in the high desert. The weather can get very cold at night (in the teens), and we get a lot of blustery winds during the winter months, which can sometimes reach gale-force and last for days. The winter is also the wet season, so depending on when the rain fell, the water crossings may be higher than average, and if your timing is off, you could encounter flash floods, which are not to be trifled with. Make sure you have a reliable heat source/winter sleeping bag/extra blankets and good shelter from the wind. The weather is very unpredictable to it pays to be prepared for the worst.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I go out there all the time. The road is very easy. I can run almost the whole thing in 2wd. The road can be run in a real fast 2 days. I would suggest 3-4. There is quite a bit to see just off the sides of the road.

I would suggest you start at Laughlin and go west. The road goes west then doglegs south. Once you hit a certain point on the southern side, camping gets scarce and there's very little to see due to private property. Most people cut the last 30 miles off due to that.

I normally lead a group after Thanksgiving and sometimes after Christmas. You welcome to join if you message me in the late summer/early fall or I can give you a route with a ton of POI. If you have the time, pop out on the west side and go straight across to Death Valley. From there you can spend as much as another week or cut the top corner and come out in Beatty Nevada and head home.

GibeyesRibeyes

Rank II

Contributor III

Winfield, DuPage County, Illinois, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Gibbons
Member #

Thank you for the info. We plan to travel Route 66 west to get there and start exploring once we hit desert. Mojave Rd is tops in the list then RT 50. We have all sorts of places we look to visit on the trip but sorta taking it as it comes. POI’s would be appreciated.

QUOTE="smritte, post: 615284, member: 17951"]I go out there all the time. The road is very easy. I can run almost the whole thing in 2wd. The road can be run in a real fast 2 days. I would suggest 3-4. There is quite a bit to see just off the sides of the road.

I would suggest you start at Laughlin and go west. The road goes west then doglegs south. Once you hit a certain point on the southern side, camping gets scarce and there's very little to see due to private property. Most people cut the last 30 miles off due to that.

I normally lead a group after Thanksgiving and sometimes after Christmas. You welcome to join if you message me in the late summer/early fall or I can give you a route with a ton of POI. If you have the time, pop out on the west side and go straight across to Death Valley. From there you can spend as much as another week or cut the top corner and come out in Beatty Nevada and head home.[/QUOTE]

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Do you have Gaia? If you do I can share my folder for that area. You would have to look carefully because it has a bunch of diffrent routes on it. You should be able to filter it though to see only what you want. If you do, sent me a PM with your email.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I find the road kinda boring, the side routes are far more interesting. I would get smitte info. it would make a far better trip. The only time you'll put in 4 wheel drive is when you are going down some grades. Dec. can be a great time to do the run, just pay attention to the weather.

Reactions: GibeyesRibeyes

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
I noted the topic and presume that most readers will know to check with the Mojave National Preserve before planning any treks across The Mojave Road in late 2022 or early 2023. Following rains in August, Soda Lake is flooded/mudded and significant portions of the paved roads AND the Mojave Road trail are badly damaged and CLOSED.

You can always check it with the MNP's Road/Trail Conditions Page, of course. This link should be permanent.

Reactions: GibeyesRibeyes

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I was up there right after the floods. The Mojave road is open, Kelbaker will probably be closed for a while. Piute canyon need some repair but the bypass is what one would take.
Here is the Park Service page on road conditions.
Road Conditions
Heres the thread I wrote on it
Mojave

Reactions: EBasil